Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
brothereicher
Affiliation: Unaffiliated/Beachy

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by brothereicher »

Josh wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 pm
brothereicher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm Ok. I'm gonna ask for the receipts.

Where is the documentation of this "well documented smear campaign"?

Private message it. Share it here. Post it in a Google drive. Whatever you'd like.

But please, share your documentation.

As one of the "handful of Sattler apologists and FOTW apologists," I've never seen any evidence of a smear campaign as you claim.

I've lived in Boston and had a ringside seat to the upheaval for the past two years, and I've heard lots and lots of accusations against Finny, but the idea that he ran a smear campaign or deprived someone of a place to live has never once been among those accusations, so this is a new one for me.

But since this accusation is WELL-DOCUMENTED, I'm sure I'll soon be enlightened.
Send me a PM with your email and phone number and I’ll be glad to share.
Thanks! PM sent.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

brothereicher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm ">
Looks like New Orleans after Katrina
:D :D

My fat fingers are partially to blame.
Looks like the whole Southern Seminary library went up.
0 x
:hug:
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

JM wrote: A book burning of Grudem’s systematic theology maybe?
I just choose not to buy a copy, but I sympathize with the sentiment.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

barnhart wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 pm
It is a guilt offering in atonement for my abrupt response to the others here.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

ohio jones wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm I am most certainly not reformed . I do not know how to make it more clear,

A book burning of Grudem’s systematic theology maybe?
Yet you associate with people who teach Reformed doctrines (perhaps not all five points), print Reformed articles, and use Reformed language. It should not be entirely surprising when a bit of guilt by association comes your way.
That having been said, I have always worked in ministries with both reformed and non reformed people. The ministry to Chinese students that I was involved included the full spectrum. They had to graciously listen to me preach messages including universal atonement, I had to listen to them leading people in the “sinners prayer.” We got along well for all of the 12 years I was there. I will query those I currently work with, but reformed theology is inconsistent with the statement of faith of churches they belong to. Just because you use material from reformed authors does not make you reformed. I have used Francis Schaefer’s work, but don’t agree with everything he says,

It only became an issue when merging was proposed, our united decision was all of us, or none of us.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Soloist wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 pm
ohio jones wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm I am most certainly not reformed . I do not know how to make it more clear,

A book burning of Grudem’s systematic theology maybe?
Yet you associate with people who teach Reformed doctrines (perhaps not all five points), print Reformed articles, and use Reformed language. It should not be entirely surprising when a bit of guilt by association comes your way.
He is trying to reform them. :mrgreen:
No, but one of them actually had a heart attack. I deny that my statement during the message “There is provision in the finished work of Christ for the salvation of every man alive today.”

I deny it is connected, clearly a coincidence.
0 x
brothereicher

Post by brothereicher »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 pm
barnhart wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 pm
It is a guilt offering in atonement for my abrupt response to the others here.
Legit LOL.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Look, if I have not made this clear, under no conditions would I doubt any of your salvation.

I may disagree with your theology, and I may not be comfortable with your methods.

But I would never question the salvation of those who rely on the name of the Lord Jesus.

Once again, apologies for the harsh words. I will be less stressed in upcoming days. My wife returns from a two week absence to care for our first grandchild.
1 x
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

JM - congrats on the grandchild!

This discussion of baptismal regeneration, reminds me of a scene from Jesus crucifixion.

"Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed [Jesus], saying,“If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”
But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.”
Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”

And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

(Luke 23:39-43)

The first criminal blasphemed Jesus, not believing that He was able to save people.
The other criminal believed that Jesus was able to save.
And that dying prayer, directed in faith to the dying (soon to be resurrected and glorified) Savior was all it took for salvation to be granted.

Just a simple request to the only One who could save - Jesus Christ, the Lord God.
No discussion of baptismal credit points or any kind of good work.
Just marvelous grace - free, undeserved, unearned and forever.

I rejoice that Jesus still saves those who trust in Him.
1 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
brothereicher

Post by brothereicher »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 pm Look, if I have not made this clear, under no conditions would I doubt any of your salvation.

I may disagree with your theology, and I may not be comfortable with your methods.

But I would never question the salvation of those who rely on the name of the Lord Jesus.

Once again, apologies for the harsh words. I will be less stressed in upcoming days. My wife returns from a two week absence to care for our first grandchild.
Thanks for this! It truly means a lot.

And the mental picture of burning Grudem's Systematic Theology as a guilt offering seriously tickles my funny bone.

And congratulations on the grandchild! That's super exciting.
0 x