Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 pm
ohio jones wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:40 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 pm It is perfectly feasible to borrow $4,000 per year to pay for college and earn another $5,000 per year working part time and during the summers and wind up with a fully paid for nursing degree and $8,000 worth of student loans.
That's a creative interpretation of "fully paid for." :)
The tuition bills were all paid. Were they not? Are you just quibbling with semantics?
I have a hard time visualizing how, for example, a house with a $500k mortgage could be called "fully paid for" or a pickup with a $50k loan is "fully paid for." Or how a degree is somehow different.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 pm
The tuition bills were all paid. Were they not? Are you just quibbling with semantics?
I have a hard time visualizing how, for example, a house with a $500k mortgage could be called "fully paid for" or a pickup with a $50k loan is "fully paid for." Or how a degree is somehow different.
Fine, change my example to a student who earns $5,000 a year to support their own education and whose family contributes $4,000 per year over a two-year period.

Either way, it isn't an extravagant or outrageous expense in order to achieve a career that might double one's earning power. Even today in 2024, college doesn't have to be outrageously expensive for those who make frugal choices.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 pm It is perfectly feasible to borrow $4,000 per year to pay for college and earn another $5,000 per year working part time and during the summers and wind up with a fully paid for nursing degree and $8,000 worth of student loans.

That was an example of a student with no scholarships or family assistance of any kind. And the assumption of only earning $5,000 surplus per year to put towards college. Which is probably pretty conservative. Add in any scholarships and family/community assistance and no loans are even necessary.

The point being, college isn’t unreasonably expensive if one makes prudent choices.
If this student is in a Nursing program, do not count on working much, particularly your last two years, I remember my wife.....
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus

Even better, get a two year degree at the local community college, which leads to licensure as an RN. Conceivably that could be done with little or no debt. That is how my wife did it.

THAN get your employer to pay for all or part of your RN to BSN program. Many, if not most will do that. Wife did that too. She emerged from college debt-free.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:59 pm Even better, get a two year degree at the local community college, which leads to licensure as an RN. Conceivably that could be done with little or no debt. That is how my wife did it.

THAN get your employer to pay for all or part of your RN to BSN program. Many, if not most will do that. Wife did that too. She emerged from college debt-free.
Yeah works out great until you get pneumonia and your teacher is against male nurses.

After I looked into their success rate a little more… 60% finish the program start to finish.

Out of the 8 males who started, 1 finished.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus

Soloist wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:59 pm Even better, get a two year degree at the local community college, which leads to licensure as an RN. Conceivably that could be done with little or no debt. That is how my wife did it.

Yeah works out great until you get pneumonia and your teacher is against male nurses.

After I looked into their success rate a little more… 60% finish the program start to finish.

Out of the 8 males who started, 1 finished.
A teacher against male nurses? Wow, that takes me back to the 70s and 80s. That is still an issue? Is it possible to find another teacher for the course in question?

My wife had an advisor that seemed to have an issue with ADN transfers, felt the state mandated articulation program was too "easy." It was written into state law, passed by the legislature, signed by governor. Also seemed to have a hang up towards women with "traditional" views of gender roles. Insisted my wife take Women's studies course that was not on her contract, which I carefully told her to save, and insure she followed. Went to dept. head who had a conversation with said advisor, who would not budge. Dept. head became advisor, wife graduated on time.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 pm A teacher against male nurses? Wow, that takes me back to the 70s and 80s. That is still an issue? Is it possible to find another teacher for the course in question?

My wife had an advisor that seemed to have an issue with ADN transfers, felt the state mandated articulation program was too "easy." It was written into state law, passed by the legislature, signed by governor. Also seemed to have a hang up towards women with "traditional" views of gender roles. Insisted my wife take Women's studies course that was not on her contract, which I carefully told her to save, and insure she followed. Went to dept. head who had a conversation with said advisor, who would not budge. Dept. head became advisor, wife graduated on time.
The community college didn’t have split instructors for tests, all was rolled into 1 test 3 or 4 times a term with a final. My grades were fine, it was clinical that got me. I tried going back too early and couldn’t keep up. She decided to double my patient load first day I was back and failed me. She ignored my medical condition and I had been threatened to be booted if I didn’t return. Oddly enough, my fellow class mates ended up losing their preceptorships and couldn’t find work outside of covid testing.
With an “unexcused” clinical fail on record I had no way to return as I would have been bottom of the barrel with basically no shot to get in. There are only a handful of programs that take LPN’s with dedicated slots these days, most just use them as bottom filler.

Now I don’t see a way to stop working and go back even if I could find a decent program. With my views on modern medicine, I’d switch to a different career if I could afford the 1-3 years of dirt pay.

Ironically, I make more then most RN’s around here as I deal with medically fragile. Most days I am really really bored.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Back in the mid 90s, my brother and sister paid about $5,000 a year for tuition and fees, all in, at a private college. They paid it with summer jobs. (Earning $9-$10 an hour over the summer was feasible back then.)
0 x