Sins of the Amish documentary

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Sins of the Amish documentary

Post by Sliceitup »

Since this documentary will be going live tomorrow, May 24, I wanted to start a thread in preparation for the inevitable discussion.

1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Sins of the Amish documentary

Post by Josh »

*yawn* more sensational nonsense to try to get people to watch something because it has "Amish" in the title.
0 x
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

Josh wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 pm *yawn* more sensational nonsense to try to get people to watch something because it has "Amish" in the title.
Ah yes… sensational nonsense is exactly how I would describe a documentary about the rape of children.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 pm *yawn* more sensational nonsense to try to get people to watch something because it has "Amish" in the title.
Given the thread title, we can discuss the sins of the "Amish documentary" in addition to "The Sins of the Amish" documentary.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:54 pmAh yes… sensational nonsense is exactly how I would describe a documentary about the rape of children.
If that was truly what this documentary were about, they would leave ethnic descriptions like "Amish" out of the title.

I would view with suspicion a documentary called "Sins of the Polish" or "Sins of the Somalians" as well, particularly one that was clearly sensational and about highly emotive topics.
0 x
Sliceitup

Post by Sliceitup »

Josh wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:59 pm
Sliceitup wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:54 pmAh yes… sensational nonsense is exactly how I would describe a documentary about the rape of children.
If that was truly what this documentary were about, they would leave ethnic descriptions like "Amish" out of the title.

I would view with suspicion a documentary called "Sins of the Polish" or "Sins of the Somalians" as well, particularly one that was clearly sensational and about highly emotive topics.
Ok, time for some real honest talk here. Josh, you ruin this forum for me. I set your comments to be ignored, but then you comment on near every single topic which means I can’t avoid you.

I’m telling you this because I have friends who are featured in this documentary and their stories are horrific. I would dearly love to have a healthy discussion about this film and it’s contents. I know that the subject matter will be intense and emotional. I would love if this space wouldn’t be one where survivors immediately leave because of people making ignorant and antagonizing comments.

But oh wahhhh, they used “the Amish” in the title.*

*There are ways to critique the name and sensational aspects without the attitude.
3 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I agree that in 'read only' mode a person's input cannot be filtered out by the thread originator other than to request someone or some group not participate as some have in past threads.

We all have opinions on topics and unless one violates the forum rules we have to live with how other's think and what this may do to those observing the conversations.

Myself, I am tempted to use the :yawn: on various topics and others may feel the same about my threads and/or comments. Like this one. :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KrisKramer
Affiliation: Raised Conserv. Menn

Post by KrisKramer »

My suggestion is that maybe everyone watch this documentary before attacking it. It is addressing a very real problem in the plain community.

I would be interested in seeing it talked about by people who have actually watched it.

This isn't a paid actor thing, this is real people talking about real things that have happened.
2 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

ohio jones wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:57 pm
Given the thread title, we can discuss the sins of the "Amish documentary" in addition to "The Sins of the Amish" documentary.
Just listening to the trailer brings up many questions.

First statement "The odds of an Amish woman getting raped by someone within their own community is one out of every six". This may be true about a very small percentage of Amish communities, but as a whole I don't believe that to be true. To stereotype all Amish in this manner is horrible and probably a lie.

Also to stereotype ALL Amish communities as "predator's paradise" probably is false as well. When people make these claims they need to back up their claims with verifiable statistics. Beings they aren't backing up their claims, it makes their claims and the video less credible.

I won't discount or diminish what these women went through. However they are using their hurt and pain to trash and denigrate thousand of innocent people who happen to be Amish. And I find that unconscionable and sad.
2 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 amOk, time for some real honest talk here. Josh, you ruin this forum for me. I set your comments to be ignored, but then you comment on near every single topic which means I can’t avoid you.
There are certain people who also comment on basically every topic here. I would not go so far as to say the "ruin" the forum for me, but they do challenge my viewpoints in almost every post.
I’m telling you this because I have friends who are featured in this documentary and their stories are horrific. I would dearly love to have a healthy discussion about this film and it’s contents. I know that the subject matter will be intense and emotional. I would love if this space wouldn’t be one where survivors immediately leave because of people making ignorant and antagonizing comments.
In other words, you have a vested interest in this and are biased.

This forum is not a "safe space" for "survivors" to basically have whatever the current neo-liberal progressive consensus is. If you want to find that, you may want to look elsewhere. Opinions and beliefs are challenged - including mine.
But oh wahhhh, they used “the Amish” in the title.*

*There are ways to critique the name and sensational aspects without the attitude.
I am very wary of ethnic and racial bias. There are a lot of other ethnic groups that seem to have ongoing, multi-generational abuse problems. But I wouldn't tolerate something called the "Sins of [racial group] or "Sins of [ethnic group]'. It's wrong to do that. Most people in any ethnic group are not abusers.

If what you are concerned about is helping Amish root out abuse, a video documentary seems like a really ineffective way to do so. Are you expecting them to watch it? Or is this just something for non-Amish and ex-Amish people to watch and then cluck their tongues about how terrible those "sinful" Amish people are?
1 x