Gender confusion

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Gender confusion

Post by RZehr »

I think this could just be another crack in the Republican/ Evangelical alliance. I see the Republican Party making necessarily more and more pragmatic, and demographic decisions that are indicative of a less religious party.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:49 pm I think this could just be another crack in the Republican/ Evangelical alliance. I see the Republican Party making necessarily more and more pragmatic, and demographic decisions that are indicative of a less religious party.
Society naturally is going to push out a group that doesn't adapt. The parties have changed and will continue to change to fit the voter base they seek to acquire.

That being said, there isn't a lot of moral high ground if you support plastic surgery.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:49 pm I think this could just be another crack in the Republican/ Evangelical alliance.

I see the Republican Party making necessarily more and more pragmatic, and demographic decisions that are indicative of a less religious party.

It’s probably important to recognize the powerful unspoken party of career/legacy politicians, comprised of members of both recognized parties. i can’t recall when there has been a “one party” of Republicans, it became undeniable when DJT was in the Primaries. (i mean, evident even to slow people like me.) others had insights long before then.

i haven’t followed Fox News ever. but i’ve not thought of it as conservative. (maybe long ago??) i don’t know.
reputations persist. but that one must have been lost long ago.

We would all appreciate being able to trust the NYT. We can’t.
We would like to think Republicans are unified, They aren’t.

Life is not that easy. Nor was ease promised.
Last edited by temporal1 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 pm Society naturally is going to push out a group that doesn't adapt.
The parties have changed and will continue to change to fit the voter base they seek to acquire.

That being said, there isn't a lot of moral high ground if you support plastic surgery.

i’m not sure about plastic/cosmetic/elective surgeries. i appreciate your insights! your experiences, and your purist pov.

i can’t jump to equating vanity, desiring to enhance one’s God-given sexuality (presumably, attractiveness) .. with gender confusion surgery. i can understand how those without faith understanding may not question physical adornments, it’s done even in primitive cultures, via tattoos, etc. Altering the physical body in effort to enhance the God-given.

None of this is about gender confusion, or using extreme surgeries to serve those purposes. (i think you suggest anorexia as a comparison?)

Insurance companies+government have long rejected elective surgeries - more+more, reports are that gender change surgeries are to be PAID, in extremes, if not, there are lawsuits with big settlements to be faced. These demands are in the military, in prisons!

In the past, elective surgeries were strictly OUT OF POCKET.

This is a major shift. It should not be allowed. imho.

i see some moral, practical, legal differences.
1 x

UNKNOWN
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:49 pm I think this could just be another crack in the Republican/ Evangelical alliance. I see the Republican Party making necessarily more and more pragmatic, and demographic decisions that are indicative of a less religious party.
Society naturally is going to push out a group that doesn't adapt. The parties have changed and will continue to change to fit the voter base they seek to acquire.

I don't think either party needs to adapt to less than 1% of the population. They have an outsize voice because our culture has forgotten between love and kindness.
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

nett wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:45 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 pm

I don't think either party needs to adapt to less than 1% of the population. They have an outsize voice because our culture has forgotten between love and kindness.

Organized political blocs, powerful lobbies, are destroying this country.
Definitely the tail wagging the dog - by force of the sword.

A dreadful, deadly turn.
1 x

UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:29 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 pm Society naturally is going to push out a group that doesn't adapt.
The parties have changed and will continue to change to fit the voter base they seek to acquire.

i’m not sure about plastic/cosmetic/elective surgeries. i appreciate your insights! your experiences, and your purist pov.

i can’t jump to equating vanity, desiring to enhance one’s God-given sexuality (presumably, attractiveness) .. with gender confusion surgery. i can understand how those without faith understanding may not question physical adornments, it’s done even in primitive cultures, via tattoos, etc. Altering the physical body in effort to enhance the God-given.

None of this is about gender confusion, or using extreme surgeries to serve those purposes. (i think you suggest anorexia as a comparison?)

Insurance companies+government have long rejected elective surgeries - more+more, reports are that gender change surgeries are to be PAID, in extremes, if not, there are lawsuits with big settlements to be faced. These demands are in the military, in prisons!

In the past, elective surgeries were strictly OUT OF POCKET.

This is a major shift. It should not be allowed. imho.

i see some moral, practical, legal differences.
Why is it that people are not content looking like an ugly woman? its not enough to be identified as a woman, they want to look attractive. Surgery is the route to that. At one point, you needed to live as the opposite gender for at least a year before having surgical or chemical changes done. That isn't the norm anymore as those are referred to as gate keeping which is "bad"
In simple terms, much of what results in gender dysphoria is a dissatisfaction with the way one's own body looks or feels. Plastic surgery capitalizes on these basic feelings too.
Someone either through thinking that men are bad will envy a woman, a woman might be assaulted and think being a man would be safer.
The woman with sag often will pay for a lift, they will pay for botox, tummy tuck and so on. Why is this like the dysphoria? they both are discontent with what God gave them.
Am I going to judge someone who removes a mole from their nose? or fixes crooked teeth? no but I think that desire is the root of all evil thinking.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:14 am
Why is it that people are not content looking like an ugly woman?
its not enough to be identified as a woman, they want to look attractive. Surgery is the route to that.

At one point, you needed to live as the opposite gender for at least a year before having surgical or chemical changes done.
That isn't the norm anymore as those are referred to as gate keeping which is "bad"

In simple terms, much of what results in gender dysphoria is a dissatisfaction with the way one's own body looks or feels.
Plastic surgery capitalizes on these basic feelings too.

Someone either through thinking that men are bad will envy a woman,
a woman might be assaulted and think being a man would be safer.

The woman with sag often will pay for a lift, they will pay for botox, tummy tuck and so on.
Why is this like the dysphoria? they both are discontent with what God gave them.

Am I going to judge someone who removes a mole from their nose? or fixes crooked teeth?
no but I think that desire is the root of all evil thinking.
You have so much more experience+exposure to all these things than i, than the average person.

These are all good questions. i recall, “waiting periods” to think things through, were expected for any sort of elective permanent surgeries. i can’t recall now in what context this was. But, you’re likely correct, people are impatient, and business wants to take advantage. i’ve read, gender change surgeries guarantee a lifetime of medications .. that, alone, should be reason to pause.

i remember “The Birthmark” by Nathaniel Hawthorne, required reading for me in .. Jr or Sr High school.
i remember being astonished by it. to think what young ones are presented with now!

i’m planning to send it to my grdaughter.
i just sent her “The Good Earth” by Pearl S. Buck.

She loves to read, we’ve kept in touch with books since before she could read! i always have several waiting to send. i’m not sure all these old classics are required reading anymore. (and some have been censored, at least in part.) She prefers real books to digital. The pandemic/remote school was hard for her that way.
1 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

More accurately, what is "evangelical" has shifted a lot in America, for example, many people identify as "evangelical" but don't attend church. As what constitutes an "evangelical" changes, so will the political representation of such people.

Most of my neighbours identify as some kind of evangelical Christian, and based on their yard signs I think they vote for Republicans, but based on their driveways I don't think any of them attend church on Sunday mornings.

This is not necessarily a move to a "less religious party". What "religion" is, is simply changing.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

A leading transgender health association has lowered its recommended minimum age for starting gender transition treatment, including sex hormones and surgeries.

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health said hormones could be started at age 14, two years earlier than the group’s previous advice, and some surgeries done at age 15 or 17, a year or so earlier than previous guidance. The group acknowledged potential risks but said it is unethical and harmful to withhold early treatment.
https://apnews.com/article/gender-trans ... 2bf14f9bbb

How is doing this to a 14 year old not considered child abuse?
3 x