Jussie Smollett sentenced

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Jussie Smollett sentenced

Post by Neto »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60695975

(A bit of state-side news that would have normally received a bit more attention.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Jussie Smollett sentenced

Post by temporal1 »

Prideful and unrepentant.
.. Judge James Linn repeatedly addressed Smollett directly and noted that the "unprecedented" media attention the case attracted is usually reserved for murder cases.

"There is nothing that I can do here today that can come close to the damage you've already done to your own life," Mr Linn told Smollett. "You've turned your life upside down by your conduct and shenanigans."

"You're just a charlatan pretending to be a victim of a hate crime, and that's shameful," Mr Linn later added.

Following the sentencing, Smollett left the courtroom with a raised fist, and exclaimed: "I am innocent, and I am not suicidal."
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

150 days in jail and a bunch of probation isn't enough.

Personally, make a false accusation, you get the book thrown at you.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:57 am 150 days in jail and a bunch of probation isn't enough.

Personally, make a false accusation, you get the book thrown at you.
I thought that too, but the fine was pretty large, too, helping to pay for the expense to the police for all of their investigative work. But probably not a significant amount for him, and probably not enough to cover the costs to the tax payers for the additional police work required to clear up this sham.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville

He pulled this stunt to boost his career and it blew up in his face. Now his family is blaming the court & police for damaging his career.

This needs to happen more often to people that make false accusations. Anyone who has ever been falsely accused of horrible things would understand my strong feelings on this :cry:
1 x

ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

The OT penalty for bearing false witness was to be the same as the penalty that would have been exacted for the crime that the other person was falsely accused of.
2 x
steve-in-kville

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:46 am The OT penalty for bearing false witness was to be the same as the penalty that would have been exacted for the crime that the other person was falsely accused of.
It should be that way.
1 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps Kamala Harris should apologise as well, considering her role in this case.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:55 pm Perhaps Kamala Harris should apologise as well, considering her role in this case.
There have been no apologies.
We can trust JS had every possible legal defense working for him.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

His sentence seems light, maybe about what you could expect for someone with no priors. If it weren't for the amount of money spent by the Chicago police department on tracking down his non-existent assailant, I wonder if he would have been prosecuted. Based on his conviction, Jussie Smollett would seem to qualify as one of the biggest liars around. Sabotaged his future prospects in a big way, which is probably a much greater punishment than a few months in jail.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3