Russia Invades Ukraine 2022

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine 2022

Post by Soloist »

Somehow the notion that blacks were too stupid to fight for the Union where they were permitted to learn to read, but smart enough to fight for the confederacy where there was laws preventing them from learning doesn’t make much sense.

I’m sure there were a few black slaves who fought but I really really doubt there was over a few hundred at the upper most.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Soloist wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:18 am Somehow the notion that blacks were too stupid to fight for the Union where they were permitted to learn to read, but smart enough to fight for the confederacy where there was laws preventing them from learning doesn’t make much sense.

I’m sure there were a few black slaves who fought but I really really doubt there was over a few hundred at the upper most.
It also doesn’t make any sense that slaves would have fought for the Confederacy because they were mad about taxation — did slaves pay taxes?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:38 am It also doesn’t make any sense that slaves would have fought for the Confederacy because they were mad about taxation — did slaves pay taxes?
Everyone paid taxes silly! It was at least 10% on everything they “earned”
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken,

Do you think Tennessee consists of “southern schools”?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:26 am Second, the idea that there were Confederate units full of Black solders is one of the oldest and shoddiest of historical myths. Actual southern historians have long dispensed with such nonsense. https://www.battlefields.org/learn/arti ... and-legend or https://uncpress.org/book/9781469653266 ... federates/
Also, the idea that the moon is made from green cheese has also been proven to be a myth. Not that anyone on this thread was suggesting that either, but it seems about as relevant as talking about Confederate units full of Black soldiers.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 am Ken,

Do you think Tennessee consists of “southern schools”?
Tennessee was part of the Confederacy.

Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest (who later founded the Ku Klux Klan) was a famous slave trader from Memphis before the Civil War and Memphis TN was one of the largest slave markets in the south.

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

It’s just interesting how you immediately leap to blaming “southern schools”, as if schools in other areas are paragons of academic excellence and historical accuracy.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:11 am It’s just interesting how you immediately leap to blaming “southern schools”, as if schools in other areas are paragons of academic excellence and historical accuracy.
I do blame public education in the south for egregious Civil War revisionism. Especially decades ago in the 1950s and 1960s (and before). This has been exceedingly well documented. https://news.gsu.edu/research-magazine/ ... -textbooks or https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/st ... 327359002/ All those old HS history textbooks used in places like Tennessee in the 1950s still exist. There is no mystery. And they contained some of the same nonsense that you see here in this thread. Such as the quaint notion that the root cause of the Civil War was taxation rather than slavery.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

The Civil War is actually a good example of the sorts of lies that are told in support of war.

After 9-11 the US government famously lead the country into war in Iraq over the lie that Iraq was developing or possessed nuclear weapons. Which they euphemistically labeled "WMD" to hedge their bets. Even though everyone knew that a few old artillery shells containing mustard gas left over from the Iraq-Iran war were not what anyone was talking about. They were stirring up fears of a nuclear-armed Saddam Hussein.

Relevant to this thread, we have Russia perpetrating the ridiculous notion that Ukraine, a country that democratically elected a Russian-speaking Jewish president, was a nation led by Nazis. And that Russia had to invade to "de-Nazify" Ukraine. A lot of the Russian propaganda leading up to and during the 2022 invasion was centered on the ridiculous lie that Ukraine was a Nazi state.

The actual Nazis told themselves and their population endless lies in order to justify plunging the world into war in the 1930s.

Today in Israel and Gaza we can no doubt find endless examples of lies told to justify war on both sides.

The Civil War was actually a bit different. Leading up to and during the actual Civil War, southerners were telling the truth about why they plunged the nation into war. The lies came later as part of the revisionism surrounding the "lost cause" that was taught to generations of school children after the war. Before and during the Civil War the south was exceedingly clear about why it was seceding. Every southern state debated secession and issued articles of secession. These are all historical documents. Southern newspapers were full of secession sentiment. Secession was debated and preached in churches and public forums across the south. And they all told us the reason for secession. It was in defense of slavery. Not one single southern article of secession even mentions taxation.
2 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:41 pm The Civil War is actually a good example of the sorts of lies that are told in support of war.
Yes, you’ve expounded at length on why the acts of gross violence perpetrated by the north are OK as long as they were for a good cause.
0 x