Russia Invades Ukraine 2022

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine 2022

Post by Soloist »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:33 pm
Soloist wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 pm Tide turned a long time ago, but they haven’t lost yet.

I don’t expect Ukraine to hold out without boots on the ground from Allies.
I think if NATO ends up in the Ukraine, then it's no longer a regional conflict and we might be looking at World War III. I don't think anyone has the appetite for that.
Yeah… I guess we will find out. If Trump wins I’m guessing EU won’t do too much unless Trump does.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:42 pm
Soloist wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 pm Tide turned a long time ago, but they haven’t lost yet.

I think if NATO ends up in the Ukraine, then it's no longer a regional conflict and we might be looking at World War III. I don't think anyone has the appetite for that.
Yeah… I guess we will find out. If Trump wins I’m guessing EU won’t do too much unless Trump does.
The other WW3 scenario is that if Russia starts encroaching on other NATO countries. Border incursions into Estonia or Poland or Romania, for example. How will NATO respond to that?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:53 pm
The other WW3 scenario is that if Russia starts encroaching on other NATO countries. Border incursions into Estonia or Poland or Romania, for example. How will NATO respond to that?
I suspect Russia will take other non nato countries first, but war tests treaties and depending on political will… it might not work as it’s supposed to.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

:idea: If Russia takes more of Europe, and the Middle East does what they do, and Turkey takes islands from Greece, and China takes Taiwan, and Japan takes the four islands in the Northern Territories from Russia - President Donald Trump will probably just take Greenland.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Doesn’t NATO have a rule against taking on new members who don’t control their territory or have irredentist claims? I believe this was an issue for Moldova.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 pm

Doesn’t NATO have a rule against taking on new members who don’t control their territory or have irredentist claims? I believe this was an issue for Moldova.
It is a rule, nothing more. It isn't some provision of international law. It would require the unanimous vote of NATO members to allow in any new member. And that same unanimous vote can waive any previous rule as well.

So if NATO wants to let in Ukraine they can. Nothing is really stopping them other than reaching unanimity which is probably unlikely.
0 x
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Blinken has the appetite, he just needs young men and women to be the cannon fodder:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/us ... 024-04-04/

US Secretary of State Blinken says Ukraine will be NATO member

BRUSSELS, April 4 (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Thursday that Ukraine will eventually join NATO as support for the country remains "rock solid" among member states.
"Ukraine will become a member of NATO. Our purpose at the summit is to help build a bridge to that membership," Blinken told reporters in Brussels.
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Ken

Post by Ken »

JohnHurt wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 am

Blinken has the appetite, he just needs young men and women to be the cannon fodder:

BRUSSELS, April 4 (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Thursday that Ukraine will eventually join NATO as support for the country remains "rock solid" among member states.
"Ukraine will become a member of NATO. Our purpose at the summit is to help build a bridge to that membership," Blinken told reporters in Brussels.
The real question is whether more young men will die with Ukraine outside NATO or inside NATO.

History tells us it is the former. Which is something that every single country in eastern Europe is very acutely aware of. And they would be the ones doing the dying. A conclusion that Finland and Sweden recently reached as well.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

JohnHurt wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 am

"Eventually" is a long, unspecified time.

Unfortunately, Putin demonstrated the need for NATO when Russia invaded its neighbor.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Szdfan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am "Eventually" is a long, unspecified time.

Unfortunately, Putin demonstrated the need for NATO when Russia invaded its neighbor.
We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. We caused Libya, Syria and Egypt’s unrest.
Who is the power that is honorable above all? No human nation will ever follow its own ideals.
1 x