Canada "emergency use": democratic or not?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Canada "emergency use": democratic or not?

Post by Josh »

This is the order put in place in Canada, bypassing the normal legislative process. It was installed by executive fiat. (A parliamentary system is a bit different than America's system, but the way this order was done bypassed the normal way legislation is done in a parliamentary system.)

https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2022 ... 1-eng.html

One of the odd things about is that normal people like you and me are prevented from protesting - but certain immigrants, refugees, and other "special" people are expressly exempted from this order:
2 (1) A person must not participate in a public assembly that may reasonably be expected to lead to a breach of the peace

3 (1) A foreign national must not enter Canada with the intent to participate in or facilitate an assembly referred to in subsection 2(1).

Exemption

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) a person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act;
(b) a person who has been recognized as a Convention refugee or a person in similar circumstances to those of a Convention refugee within the meaning of subsection 146(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations who is issued a permanent resident visa under subsection 139(1) of those regulations;
(c) a person who has been issued a temporary resident permit within the meaning of subsection 24(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and who seeks to enter Canada as a protected temporary resident under subsection 151.1(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations;
(d) a person who seeks to enter Canada for the purpose of making a claim for refugee protection;
(e) a protected person;
(f) a person or any person in a class of persons whose presence in Canada, as determined by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration or the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, is in the national interest.
Well then.

Later on, we find that the government feels they can commandeer anyone's tow truck (or who is a tow truck worker) and force them to do whatever the government wants:
critical infrastructure includes ... bus stations, bus depots, ... hospitals and locations where COVID-19 vaccines are administered.

7 (1) Any person must make available and render the essential goods and services requested by the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or a person acting on their behalf for the removal, towing and storage of any vehicle, equipment, structure or other object that is part of a blockade.
The penalties are severe: 5 years in prison.

This was all done without the normal democratic process. It's not really a law, it's an "emergency measures regulations".

My question to those of you who are against the trucker convoy is:

- Do you think it's good to bypass the democratic process? A normal bill could be passed through Parliament and enforced like laws normally are. (Existing laws are also on the books that could in theory be enforced.)

- Is it good to mandate that the government can commandeer tow trucks and drivers and force them against their will under the threat of five yearsin prison?

- Why are refugees exempted from this?

- Is this a good model to follow? Should we just transition to dictatorships and not bother with legislative bodies anymore?
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Canada "emergency use": democratic or not?

Post by temporal1 »

The moves are definitely to create separate rules for separate people/groups.
“Equal” treatment is not nearly adequate! “Special” has replaced the formerly highly valued, “equal.”

Through legal language gymnastics, they’re giving it their best shot.

Language Olympics. :roll:

Not of Jesus Christ. They’re all so much smarter than Jesus. Just ask them.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

I think it expires in 7 days unless voted and passed in the house and Senate. I haven't studied it very much, believe that to be true.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:02 pm I think it expires in 7 days unless voted and passed in the house and Senate. I haven't studied it very much, believe that to be true.

i appreciate when you and appleman, haithabu, formerly lesterb, Hats Off, and others in Canada (and other countries) contribute.
in the U.S., we receive so little international news, including Canada and Mexico - it’s shameful.
with 24/7 cycles, it hardly seems possible.

i noticed this decades ago. it’s nothing new. it’s inexplicable.

thanks for taking the time. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Ok. I was wrong. The Prime Minister has 7 days after invoking it to present a motion to confirm it. It is in effect for 30 days unless extended, or unless voted down in either the House of Commons or the Senate. I believe this to be accurate.

Is it Democratic? Certainly there is a wide variety of opinion on that matter. There are lawsuits against the federal government beginning because of it. The question of whether the thresholds required to invoke it have been met remains to be answered in Parliament and I suppose in the courts. Does it "feel" democratic? Not from where I sit.
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Signtist, how much of this civil unrest do you attribute to the rift between Anglo and Franco societies. I lived in Canada in the 90's during the Quebec referendum and I see that division running deep in Canadian society.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Logic would dictate that a government needs to be able to quickly react to problems... Now was this a just use of the power is the primary contention.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist,
In the thread below, there are a few taped interviews, press conferences with the convoy’s leaders. When possible, i appreciate hearing/reading from the principals involved in every situation. Robert has added most of them, i believe.

The leaders, have answered lots of questions, first-hand. No need for media interpretation, speculation, allegations, opinion.

One point they have been very happy with is the nonpartisan, multi-cultural, “everyman” nature of the group.
i believe it. immigrants come to WORK. Truck driving is honest work that pays well.

Another point they made was how Canada’s “standing” hostilities, Quebec’s French, east-west tensions between urban, rural, etc., have “melted away” in the convoy. French speakers embracing English speakers, not understanding each other in language, but, agreed in response to wanting a voice in policy. (My memory, paraphrases.)

i hope folks listen to the leaders first-hand, there is no substitute.

These are some points that impress me, they have my interest, and my well-wishes for ALL in Canada.
Negotiations are best for all when the motivating goals are: WIN-WIN.

(i listened to something this morning that stated Trudeau was IN SUPPORT of a recent truck convoy in INDIA.)

i hope folks realize, Canada’s convoy(s) were NOT the first in the world.
there were several before. now there are more. the convoy leaders in Canada did NOT expect the big response they’ve received.

i cannot over-emphasize, listen to the first-person tapes.
it’s much more productive when discussions are between people who have read/listened to the same basic sources, whether in agreement or not.

Meanwhile, in Canada
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91&start=320
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Regarding horror that funds are coming from the U.S.! :evil:

1) Why would this be an exception?
i seriously wish outside busybodies would refrain from interferring in local, state, and INTERNATIONAL matters.
that’s my dream. IRL, this goes on in gov policy, Foreign Aid, corporate lobbies, et al. libs are ON IT. it’s huge.
i wish it would go away. it hasn’t, so, please, at least save the mock horror.

2) There are so many Canadians in the U.S., for every reason; populations greatly increase in winters.
So. please. Unless/until the facts are better reported about “who is funding,” SAVE IT.

3) Facts are now deliberately, officially, ignored, withheld, because .. so many facts have been deemed RACIST.
Between facts+racism, racism (talk, not facts) holds sway. Facts, even science, bow to idiologies, partisanship, lobbies, etc.

Thus, science+public health are broken.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/exclusive ... 70247.html
0 x

UNKNOWN