Canada "emergency use": democratic or not?

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Canada "emergency use": democratic or not?

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:19 pm Act has been revoked, Thank God!
Robert wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:51 pm I advise every Canadian to listen to this interview, even if you are not political. This helps you learn what laws you live under.

Hopefully, this interview with BRIAN PECKFORD will be quickly reinstated.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

There are many, just search his name.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Hopefully, this video will not get "censored" by YouTube also. Canadian Constitution Foundation explains their law suit against the Emergencies Act use.

1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:59 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:27 pm Romans 13:7
Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and government fees to those who collect them, and give respect and honor to those who are in authority.
With respect, Sudsy, nobody is arguing against that. It is completely reasonable to question how an "emergency" provision to clear out a protest can turn into a series of Enabling Acts with the "emergency" provisions basically becoming permanent. If you think living in a democratic, free country is a good idea, you should be a bit more open minded to not everyone wanting to live under a set of Enabling Acts.
I merely gave a scripture that I believe reminds us to 'give respect and honor to those who are in authority'. If anyone choses to do otherwise, that is their choice. I personally don't believe this scripture allows me to speak evil of those in authority. I sometimes do but this, to me, is a battle with my flesh. The real freedom I have is not dependent on any person or government decisions so I don't need be concerned over these things. But what others chose to think is their choice.

I feel very blessed to live in a country with so much freedom but if these were all taken away (and more may be in our near future), God will supply all the grace I need to live an abundant spiritual life in that environment. We are currently quite far from having to live under the restraints of the early church. But just like Paul and Silas in prison, our freedom is through Christ. I don't believe we need to live in the fears and concerns of this world but this is a choice for each one of us.

I don't believe everyone should believe as I do but I also believe we can, within the forum rules and Christian conduct, express our beliefs, including your belief that I should be 'more open minded'. :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:10 am Hopefully, this video will not get "censored" by YouTube also. Canadian Constitution Foundation explains their law suit against the Emergencies Act use.

Signtist wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 pm There are many, just search his name.
thanks. i found several. none much like the one Robert posted.
This one is similar, lengthy, not nearly as easy to follow, audio not nearly as good.
i hope the one Robert shared will be restored.

0 x

UNKNOWN
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Signtist wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:55 am Ok. I was wrong. The Prime Minister has 7 days after invoking it to present a motion to confirm it. It is in effect for 30 days unless extended, or unless voted down in either the House of Commons or the Senate. I believe this to be accurate.

Is it Democratic? Certainly there is a wide variety of opinion on that matter. There are lawsuits against the federal government beginning because of it. The question of whether the thresholds required to invoke it have been met remains to be answered in Parliament and I suppose in the courts. Does it "feel" democratic? Not from where I sit.
A federal court has ruled the thresholds for invoking it were not met. Fascinating.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:49 pm
Signtist wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:55 am Ok. I was wrong. The Prime Minister has 7 days after invoking it to present a motion to confirm it. It is in effect for 30 days unless extended, or unless voted down in either the House of Commons or the Senate. I believe this to be accurate.

Is it Democratic? Certainly there is a wide variety of opinion on that matter. There are lawsuits against the federal government beginning because of it. The question of whether the thresholds required to invoke it have been met remains to be answered in Parliament and I suppose in the courts. Does it "feel" democratic? Not from where I sit.
A federal court has ruled the thresholds for invoking it were not met. Fascinating.
i’d posted a lot in this topic - totally forgotten. :shock:
At the time, it was strange that the TRUCK CONVOY topic was so active, including on MN, then, suddenly went quiet when Russia invaded Ukraine. Great timing for Trudeau!

More on the 2024 ruling:

P.42 / Jan 25 2024 / Meanwhile, in Canada
viewtopic.php?t=91&start=410
0 x

UNKNOWN