Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Choose all that apply:

1. I support vaccine mandates
7%
2. I'm not in favor of vaccine mandates and I do not support the Freedom Convoy. There are much better ways to appeal for clemency from the government.
13%
3. I support the Freedom Convoy.
13%
4. I would take food to the protestors if I had a chance to do so.
15%
5. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if it was not illegal.
9%
6. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if I could, even if it was illegal.
5%
7. If I lived in Ottawa and a trucker came to my door wanting something to eat, I would feed him. If he was protesting outside my door, I would not feed him unless he threatened me. I would appeal with the words of John the Baptist to do violence to no man. If he was protesting downtown, I would not take food to him.
13%
8. I do not think Ottawa residents and residents in other cities with "freedom" protests should need to put up with loud horn honking and harassment about wearing masks when they walk the streets. They should be able to go about their business without needing to take flack or be harassed due to the decisions of their government.
11%
9. Professing Christians who support the Freedom Convoy should think about the freedoms the protestors have been taking away from the residents of Ottawa and other cities, and they should repent of their support and their actions.
8%
10. Other
8%

Total votes: 88

Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Post by Robert »

Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:04 am 2/3 of Canadians supported the emergency act and believed it was time to clear out the streets, even if people got hurt in the process.
I absolutely do not believe this.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:24 am
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:04 am 2/3 of Canadians supported the emergency act and believed it was time to clear out the streets, even if people got hurt in the process.
I absolutely do not believe this.

i don’t believe it, either.
Signtist might weigh in on the sources. Terrible language below. i hope they live to regret it.
.. Maru’s poll shows that 66 per cent of Canadians support the decision to invoke the Emergencies Act and 67 per cent say it’s time to clear out all protesters in Ottawa, even if it means “people who will not leave may get hurt, or worse.”

“The visceral reaction to this by Canadians is: if there are casualties or if people get hurt, that’s just part of removing people,”
Wright said.

“There’s a feeling out there, when coupled with the fact that this immovable group may not respond to anything except (aggression), that (protesters) bring it upon themselves.”

More concerning to Wright is the fact that 32 per cent of Canadians are open to using violence to protect their “fundamental Canadian values” if they believe their government isn’t doing it for them.

The convoy leaders warned from day 1, “Do not be violent.” - “That’s what they want.”
It appears, IF truck drivers turned to violence, there would be no restraint. It would be deadly. i’m not sure i ever expected to see this in Canada, against Canadians.

It’s all painting a clear picture of the awful lib goal, “RULES FOR THEE, NOT FOR ME.” They are seriously invested in it.
Thankfully, i think we can believe it’s mostly runaway ideologues, drunk on self-love, not the actual MAJORITY.

Example:
RZehr wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:06 am
silentreader wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:00 pm Here is a reality.
https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... t-protests
Exactly right. The hypocrisy and bias is unreal.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Calgary

0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Vancouver

I think this is getting larger not smaller.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Toronto

0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:38 am
Signtist might weigh in on the sources.
I'm done commenting for a while, I think. Illegal activity was required to clear out the convoy, that much is certain. Tow trucks without license plates or business identification? That's not legal. Police are being investigated after several protesters were hurt. That's fascinating. Another thing to keep in mind. Let's say that the truck drivers were illegal. Even so, the bulk of the crowds down there on weekends are not engaging in any illegal activity. I'd suggest part of the reason they let them go without charging them is that they couldn't have made anything stick. I don't know that I agree with all that the truckers did. I think Ernie is right that the parking, at least, was illegal. But I know with absolute certainty that what happened and what you read happened was 2 entirely different discussions.
2 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Ok, this is like a bad habit that I can't quit.

Some of the trucks that were towed were impounded for 7 days, while the drivers face, please pay attention here, NO CHARGES. Why? How, if they were illegal, violent, insurrectionists did they get away with no charges? It's fascinating, and bears investigation.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

RZehr wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:12 am
Soloist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:56 am If you were a tow truck driver, how would you apply Jesus's teachings to go 2 miles? or would this be an active participant with the sword of the government requiring refusal to participate even if it meant your life?
Tow them extra far out of town at no additional charge?
One mile out and one mile back? 8-)

... or to their destination of choice within reasonable distance.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Soloist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:56 am If you were a tow truck driver, how would you apply Jesus's teachings to go 2 miles? or would this be an active participant with the sword of the government requiring refusal to participate even if it meant your life?
Or his teaching to treat others the way you should like to be treated? I am not speaking of the protest here.

I'm conflicted on that one, because we usually apply the golden rule to the aggressor and forget to treat the victim as we would like to be treated. Why is this? Should be it's own thread, but then we'd get into non resistance again..
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Signtist wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:00 pm Ok, this is like a bad habit that I can't quit.

Some of the trucks that were towed were impounded for 7 days, while the drivers face, please pay attention here, NO CHARGES. Why? How, if they were illegal, violent, insurrectionists did they get away with no charges? It's fascinating, and bears investigation.
In any society, if every single lawbreaker was prosecuted to the full extent of the law we would need 10x more courts, 10x more prosecutors and police, 10x more prisons, and would need to pay 10x more taxes.

A lot of it is about deterrence. Here in the US probably only about 0.1% of tax cheats ever get prosecuted. But as long as there is a reasonable chance of ever getting audited most law abiding and cautious people follow the law. Same thing with illegal parking. If you know there is a reasonable chance that you will get a ticket or get your car towed you will think twice. If you know there is zero enforcement then not so much.

I expect in this case, the Ottowa prosecutors offices already have enough on their plates to deal with without taking on a couple of thousand additional prosecutions of protestors. So they have to prioritize. And the priority in this case is to get the city back to normal and not spend the next 3 years chasing expensive and time consuming prosecutions of anyone who was involved. If the trucks were illegally parked then they deserved to get towed and impounded. That is pretty cut and dried. That is a completely separate issue from prosecuting protesters which is a much more expensive, time consuming, and complicated proposition.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr