Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Choose all that apply:

1. I support vaccine mandates
7%
2. I'm not in favor of vaccine mandates and I do not support the Freedom Convoy. There are much better ways to appeal for clemency from the government.
13%
3. I support the Freedom Convoy.
13%
4. I would take food to the protestors if I had a chance to do so.
15%
5. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if it was not illegal.
9%
6. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if I could, even if it was illegal.
5%
7. If I lived in Ottawa and a trucker came to my door wanting something to eat, I would feed him. If he was protesting outside my door, I would not feed him unless he threatened me. I would appeal with the words of John the Baptist to do violence to no man. If he was protesting downtown, I would not take food to him.
13%
8. I do not think Ottawa residents and residents in other cities with "freedom" protests should need to put up with loud horn honking and harassment about wearing masks when they walk the streets. They should be able to go about their business without needing to take flack or be harassed due to the decisions of their government.
11%
9. Professing Christians who support the Freedom Convoy should think about the freedoms the protestors have been taking away from the residents of Ottawa and other cities, and they should repent of their support and their actions.
8%
10. Other
8%

Total votes: 88

Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Post by Robert »

Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm Even as police threatened to break up the blockades and the prime minister, Trudeau, invoked the Emergencies Act, many protesters were unfazed, arguing police didn’t have the authority to break up the protests.
According to the Canadian Charter of Rights, they do not. By enacting the Emergencies Act, they can declare Marshall Law and ignore their rights.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm Still, even as police swarmed the area on Friday, many protesters expressed disbelief that arrests were possible.
“You can’t do this. You can’t do this. You have no right,”
I think we will find they were right. Canadian Citizens have the right to protest. What was illegal was parking long term on the streets. This is a minor offense. A parking ticket. They had no legal right to arrest the protestors without removing their rights.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm A number of police forces, including the Ottawa city police, the Ontario provincial police, the Royal Canadian Mounted police and the Sûreté du Québec, participated in the operation to clear the streets.
It was easy to see military support behind the lines of Police. This is sad that they are using force to end the protest instead of sitting down and talking.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm “They honestly believe that all of Canada supports them. And so it’s shocking to them to learn they aren’t seen as heroes,” said Carmen Celestini, a postdoctoral fellow with the Disinformation Project at Simon Fraser University, adding that many believed police officers were on their side.

“And now they’ve realized that’s not true.”
This is his opinion. He is welcome to it, but hours of Viva Frei interviews will tell a different story of the thoughts of the protesters. I would rather go by their own words then some think tank person.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm “But even though they told supporters to ‘hold the line’, they really didn’t have a plan for what to do when arrests occurred. The leaders knew that they would have an escape plan and that they’d be OK. But their decision to leaving their supporters out there to face the consequences helps you see their character.”
Being that all the leaders of the Freedom Convoy were arrested and have not been heard of since makes this statement incorrect. They have seized over 70 bank accounts also. It is quite scary the power they are exerting on a group of people who disagrees with the government. I hope the Canadian Anabaptists are not treated this way when it comes time to being forced to accept homosexuality, and other alternative lifestyles.

I would say the Truckers were surprised that the Emergencies Act was used and the Police came down so hard. I also think many in Parliament were just as shocked. I could hear it in many of the speeches given. Using the Emergencies Act is using a sledgehammer to remove a screw. The screw is removed, along with a lot of the wood it was in.

All this could have been sorted out with a few meetings. Mos the Providences have already agreed to most of what the Truckers were demanding. They already won. Trudeau is just trying to save face, but with all the protests breaking out across Canada, I think he has done the opposite.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:01 pm
i’m not sure when diplomacy was abandoned for brute force, but it’s been some years.
it’s NOT employed even-handedly, by any means. it’s specific.

people are noticing.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i’m not sure when diplomacy was abandoned for brute force, but it’s been some years.
it’s NOT employed even-handedly, by any means. it’s specific.

people are noticing.

Trudeau ignored province leaders, too. Jason Kenney is well spoken and orderly. i expect other province leaders are, too.

Some have seen through the charade all along, some for years, it’s not “polite” rejection of the “ghastly.”
It’s domination - no matter what. No matter how.

The more comfortable they become in their own power, the less patience for annoying archaic things, like diplomacy.
It becomes, “Diplomacy is for losers.”

i saw it in Illinois, 2014-2018. It’s spread. Chicago-style gangsters in the highest offices, appointing minions everywhere.
SA cartels. These people do do “respect” national borders.

i’m so sorry to say.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Ernie wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:03 am
appleman2006 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:52 pmWhen the court injunction against horn blowing came in almost all horns immediately stopped.
Appleman, I'm curious how you feel about the truckers that are still remaining in Ottawa, and their decision to blow their horns again yesterday despite the court order.
Sorry I only saw this now. There was very little horn blowing up until the end of the injunction. The injunction was only for ten days. Even after that I think to a large extent the really loud rrain horns were rarely used. As I said before. My advice to them would have been to voluntarily withdraw after 3 weeks but all things considered this still ranks as perhaps the most peaceful and in many ways respectful large protest I have ever seen.
It was also one of the most diverse as far as the makeup of it’s participants was concerned.
What makes this whole so strange is the PM hypocrisy in the whole thing. For example some years ago when India was undergoing it’s almost year long “farmer’” protest (hat included violence Trudeau openly supported the protest. He stated that the government should be negotiate with the protesters and critized them that 5he6 were not do8n* enough even though they had many man6 actual meetings with the protesters. He encourage people to suppot the protest financially but now is threatening anyone that finaciallly supported this one.
I will still pray for my PM. But I am not sure I can ever respect him or take him seriously again.
2 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

People got to know Jesus at this protest! That's pretty great, any way you cut it. HUNDREDS of Bibles got passed out.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

appleman2006 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:49 pmWhat makes this whole so strange is the PM hypocrisy in the whole thing. For example some years ago when India was undergoing it’s almost year long “farmer’” protest (hat included violence Trudeau openly supported the protest. He stated that the government should be negotiate with the protesters and critized them that 5he6 were not do8n* enough even though they had many man6 actual meetings with the protesters. He encourage people to suppot the protest financially but now is threatening anyone that finaciallly supported this one.
I will still pray for my PM. But I am not sure I can ever respect him or take him seriously again.
I certainly will not stand behind or support Trudeau or anything he did or does.

My concern has to do with the hypocrisy of Christians who supported people who travelled to another city, ruined some residents' businesses for awhile, cost many residents a fair bit of income, and blasted their ear-piercing horns repeatedly whenever they were ordered not to do so. Somehow this is all is supposedly ok because they helped make some other businesses prosper, helped reduce crime in the city, etc., etc. There were plenty of legal places in Ottawa where they could have protested that would not have created hardship for others. Had they done so, I'm quite sure they would not have been driven out of the city and could still be protesting there today.

Two wrongs will never make one right, no matter how long the world stands. Jesus clearly calls Christians to separate themselves from all such evils, whether from the liberal left or the religious right. Jesus did not support or praise the Sadducees because they somehow neutralized the goals of the Pharisees, or vice versa.

In the western way of thinking, one person is guilty and the other innocent. One entity is guilty and the other innocent. In God's justice system, all sin, bad behavior, hypocrisy is judged, no matter what good may result from it. If it wasn't this way, we could give the Jews who crucified Jesus a pass because of all the good that came from Jesus' death and subsequent resurrection.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:12 pm
Two wrongs will never make one right, no matter how long the world stands. Jesus clearly calls Christians to separate themselves from all such evils, whether from the liberal left or the religious right. Jesus did not support or praise the Sadducees because they somehow neutralized the goals of the Pharisees, or vice versa.

In the western way of thinking, one person is guilty and the other innocent. One entity is guilty and the other innocent. In God's justice system, all sin, bad behavior, hypocrisy is judged, no matter what good may result from it. If it wasn't this way, we could give the Jews who crucified Jesus a pass because of all the good that came from Jesus' death and subsequent resurrection.
I'm pleased to hear you say this. Would you be willing to use your platform to speak out against the evil of fetal cell research, medication and vaccines?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:17 pmI'm pleased to hear you say this. Would you be willing to use your platform to speak out against the evil of fetal cell research, medication and vaccines?
Yes.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:24 am
Soloist wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:17 pmI'm pleased to hear you say this. Would you be willing to use your platform to speak out against the evil of fetal cell research, medication and vaccines?
Yes.
At what point will the truth be spoken about? or is this something you believe you have already done?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:48 am
Ernie wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:24 am
Yes.
At what point will the truth be spoken about? or is this something you believe you have already done?
I have done so numerous times on MN. I do so in personal conversations when I have the opportunity.
0 x