Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Choose all that apply:

1. I support vaccine mandates
7%
2. I'm not in favor of vaccine mandates and I do not support the Freedom Convoy. There are much better ways to appeal for clemency from the government.
13%
3. I support the Freedom Convoy.
13%
4. I would take food to the protestors if I had a chance to do so.
15%
5. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if it was not illegal.
9%
6. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if I could, even if it was illegal.
5%
7. If I lived in Ottawa and a trucker came to my door wanting something to eat, I would feed him. If he was protesting outside my door, I would not feed him unless he threatened me. I would appeal with the words of John the Baptist to do violence to no man. If he was protesting downtown, I would not take food to him.
13%
8. I do not think Ottawa residents and residents in other cities with "freedom" protests should need to put up with loud horn honking and harassment about wearing masks when they walk the streets. They should be able to go about their business without needing to take flack or be harassed due to the decisions of their government.
11%
9. Professing Christians who support the Freedom Convoy should think about the freedoms the protestors have been taking away from the residents of Ottawa and other cities, and they should repent of their support and their actions.
8%
10. Other
8%

Total votes: 88

Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:26 am
Soloist wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:56 ammy assessment is you have decided getting Anabaptists vaccinated is more important then actually encouraging someone to take a stance against evil.
Ever since the beginning of Covid, I've repeatedly said her on MN and elsewhere that I do not encourage people to get vaccinated, and I am fine with people taking a stance against evil. So the assessment here in incorrect.

Fairly old comment at this point. To state it bluntly, you run a news source several people here use as well as many plain people. Over the course of the pandemic you have published many articles about the vaccines and repeatedly these articles encouraged people to get vaccinated and expressed that the vaccines were okay to take with the remote connection to abortion. I also know you personally challenged people on their personal stances expressing that they wouldn’t be willing to die for their stance.
I have yet to see you publish anything expressing why someone might not take a vaccine connected with abortion. Feel free to change that. Even just postings Wolf’s articles on vaccines would present that side although he doesn’t take the same stance I would.
Mike is ethical enough to fairly look into it and perfectly able to write that sort of investigative article… I’d be surprised and happy to be proven wrong.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Robert wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:42 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm Even as police threatened to break up the blockades and the prime minister, Trudeau, invoked the Emergencies Act, many protesters were unfazed, arguing police didn’t have the authority to break up the protests.
According to the Canadian Charter of Rights, they do not. By enacting the Emergencies Act, they can declare Marshall Law and ignore their rights.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm Still, even as police swarmed the area on Friday, many protesters expressed disbelief that arrests were possible.
“You can’t do this. You can’t do this. You have no right,”
I think we will find they were right. Canadian Citizens have the right to protest. What was illegal was parking long term on the streets. This is a minor offense. A parking ticket. They had no legal right to arrest the protestors without removing their rights.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm A number of police forces, including the Ottawa city police, the Ontario provincial police, the Royal Canadian Mounted police and the Sûreté du Québec, participated in the operation to clear the streets.
It was easy to see military support behind the lines of Police. This is sad that they are using force to end the protest instead of sitting down and talking.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm “They honestly believe that all of Canada supports them. And so it’s shocking to them to learn they aren’t seen as heroes,” said Carmen Celestini, a postdoctoral fellow with the Disinformation Project at Simon Fraser University, adding that many believed police officers were on their side.

“And now they’ve realized that’s not true.”
This is his opinion. He is welcome to it, but hours of Viva Frei interviews will tell a different story of the thoughts of the protesters. I would rather go by their own words then some think tank person.
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:49 pm “But even though they told supporters to ‘hold the line’, they really didn’t have a plan for what to do when arrests occurred. The leaders knew that they would have an escape plan and that they’d be OK. But their decision to leaving their supporters out there to face the consequences helps you see their character.”
Being that all the leaders of the Freedom Convoy were arrested and have not been heard of since makes this statement incorrect. They have seized over 70 bank accounts also. It is quite scary the power they are exerting on a group of people who disagrees with the government. I hope the Canadian Anabaptists are not treated this way when it comes time to being forced to accept homosexuality, and other alternative lifestyles.

I would say the Truckers were surprised that the Emergencies Act was used and the Police came down so hard. I also think many in Parliament were just as shocked. I could hear it in many of the speeches given. Using the Emergencies Act is using a sledgehammer to remove a screw. The screw is removed, along with a lot of the wood it was in.

All this could have been sorted out with a few meetings. Mos the Providences have already agreed to most of what the Truckers were demanding. They already won. Trudeau is just trying to save face, but with all the protests breaking out across Canada, I think he has done the opposite.
Looks like Robert found a federal Canadian judge to agree with his analysis.
1 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Soloist wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:03 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:26 am
Soloist wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:56 ammy assessment is you have decided getting Anabaptists vaccinated is more important then actually encouraging someone to take a stance against evil.
Ever since the beginning of Covid, I've repeatedly said her on MN and elsewhere that I do not encourage people to get vaccinated, and I am fine with people taking a stance against evil. So the assessment here in incorrect.

Fairly old comment at this point. To state it bluntly, you run a news source several people here use as well as many plain people. Over the course of the pandemic you have published many articles about the vaccines and repeatedly these articles encouraged people to get vaccinated and expressed that the vaccines were okay to take with the remote connection to abortion. I also know you personally challenged people on their personal stances expressing that they wouldn’t be willing to die for their stance.
I have yet to see you publish anything expressing why someone might not take a vaccine connected with abortion. Feel free to change that. Even just postings Wolf’s articles on vaccines would present that side although he doesn’t take the same stance I would.
Mike is ethical enough to fairly look into it and perfectly able to write that sort of investigative article… I’d be surprised and happy to be proven wrong.
Agreed. One reason I stop Plain News - too biased.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.