Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:34 pmSo it is the girl's fault if she wears a skimpy outfit or puts herself in a bad situation and then gets raped???
Let's follow your analogy to it's logical conclusion since you made it. Do you encourage your 17 year old daughters to put on skimpy outfits and go out drinking in biker bars? Because if something bad happens they are in the right and not at fault?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:37 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:34 pmSo it is the girl's fault if she wears a skimpy outfit or puts herself in a bad situation and then gets raped???
Let's follow your analogy to it's logical conclusion since you made it. Do you encourage your 17 year old daughters to put on skimpy outfits and go out drinking in biker bars? Because if something bad happens they are in the right and not at fault?
Nope, I don't teach 'em anything.
0 x
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:23 pm and not all by themselves armed only with rifles like this

So what? If rioters see a private citizen without the proper training and carrying a gun for self-protection should the law allow the rioters to kill the citizen?

What are you saying? Rittenhouse shouldn't have been there?
Says who? The law gives him as much a right to be there as the rioters.
Do you suggest passing laws to keep certain citizens off the streets to make the world a safer place for riots?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Falco Underhill wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:45 pmSo what? If rioters see a private citizen without the proper training and carrying a gun for self-protection should the law allow the rioters to kill the citizen?

What are you saying? Rittenhouse shouldn't have been there?
Says who? The law gives him as much a right to be there as the rioters.
Do you suggest passing laws to keep certain citizens off the streets to make the world a safer place for riots?
I'm not saying any of those things and I didn't say any of those things.

All I am saying is that his lack of training, inexperience, and decision to act alone put him into a circumstance where he felt it was necessary to kill to defend himself. Something a professional would never do. His life is never again going to be the same. I expect he regrets his choices and will continue to do so for the rest of his life.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:00 pm All I am saying is that his lack of training, inexperience, and decision to act alone put him into a circumstance where he felt it was necessary to kill to defend himself. Something a professional would never do.
No, the aggressors put his life in danger. They were not very smart since they attacked a person with a weapon.

And we hear of unjustified Police shootings all the time. The riot was because of that.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Academia, politicians, lawmakers have their hands full now, trying their level best to make different laws for different citizens, and non-citizens, to ensure their chosen winners+losers fall into place.

It’s complicated, all right. :?

o.yeah.
and don’t forget about the part where mobs rule, via social media, courts exist merely to do the mob’s bidding.
never mind the world has experienced mob rule before - with catastrophic results.

It’s not confined to high profile cases.

Last January, my adult cousin got off a bus to walk home after work, she was hit+killed by a driver who claimed she didn’t see her.
Well. That may be true. Was she texting or distracted in some other way? Who knows??
She was not arrested, not charged with reckless or negligent driving, manslaughter, distracted driving: NOTHING.
She was free to go, drove away from the scene in her car, returned to her life as tho nothing happened.
As if she ran over a squirrel or a dog.

Her parents do not want vengeance. They are shocked there is no penalty, no inconvenience, for killing a human being.
They have not received an apology.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:00 pm It might be legal to take a weapon into a biker bar too. But that doesn’t mean: (1) it is prudent to be there in the first place, and (2) prudent to be carrying a weapon when you are there. In fact, doing so might well attract unwanted attention unless confrontation is actually what you seek.
Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:37 pm Let's follow your analogy to it's logical conclusion since you made it. Do you encourage your 17 year old daughters to put on skimpy outfits and go out drinking in biker bars? Because if something bad happens they are in the right and not at fault?
I see you've used biker bars as a example twice now which has me curious. While some bikers might indulge in behavior Christians would frown of, and don't get me wrong I'm not supporting that. But from what I can tell the bikers in my area do a lot for the community as far as charity and other services goes. I'll even say just as much or even more than most churches in the area do. What did the bikers do to get on your bad side? Or is it just the image they portray?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Haystack wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:40 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:00 pm It might be legal to take a weapon into a biker bar too. But that doesn’t mean: (1) it is prudent to be there in the first place, and (2) prudent to be carrying a weapon when you are there. In fact, doing so might well attract unwanted attention unless confrontation is actually what you seek.
Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:37 pm Let's follow your analogy to it's logical conclusion since you made it. Do you encourage your 17 year old daughters to put on skimpy outfits and go out drinking in biker bars? Because if something bad happens they are in the right and not at fault?
I see you've used biker bars as a example twice now which has me curious. While some bikers might indulge in behavior Christians would frown of, and don't get me wrong I'm not supporting that. But from what I can tell the bikers in my area do a lot for the community as far as charity and other services goes. I'll even say just as much or even more than most churches in the area do. What did the bikers do to get on your bad side? Or is it just the image they portray?
For one thing, in Texas we lived about a mile from where this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Waco_shootout

Here in the Pacific Northwest, biker gangs have been implicated in human trafficking, prostitution, and extensive drug dealing as well as murder for hire, racketeering, and every other form of organized crime. And some of our local biker bars are notorious law enforcement problems with drug dealing and prostitution/human trafficking basically endemic. These are some of our local good citizen bikers of whom you speak: https://www.kptv.com/news/six-people-in ... b41e8.html
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:53 pm
For one thing, in Texas we lived about a mile from where this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Waco_shootout

Here in the Pacific Northwest, biker gangs have been implicated in human trafficking, prostitution, and extensive drug dealing as well as murder for hire, racketeering, and every other form of organized crime. And some of our local biker bars are notorious law enforcement problems with drug dealing and prostitution/human trafficking basically endemic. These are some of our local good citizen bikers of whom you speak: https://www.kptv.com/news/six-people-in ... b41e8.html
There's a difference between bikers and biker gangs. That's generalizing everyone who rides a motorcycle and their establishments as a dangerous criminal/place.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Haystack wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:16 am
Ken wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:53 pm

There's a difference between bikers and biker gangs. That's generalizing everyone who rides a motorcycle and their establishments as a dangerous criminal/place.
OK, amend what I said to refer to outlaw biker bars. I happen to have a Yamaha FJR1300 sitting in my garage as we speak. So I'm not talking about motorcyclists in general.
0 x