Amish Covid | Full Measure

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
jcxm360
Affiliation: Christian

Amish Covid | Full Measure

Post by jcxm360 »

1 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Amish Covid | Full Measure

Post by Wade »

Trusting God over pharmekia!
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Wade wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:36 pm Trusting God over pharmekia!
I trust God, have not gotten vaccinated, and have a grudging respect for Covid.

The Amish-Mennonite in the video pits two theories against each other (as is often done with Covid in forceful debates) rather than considering a wide range of options that do not include lockdowns nor vaccines, nor going on with life as usual.

This article looks at the other side. I know of some of the deaths referenced in this article and I don't know very many plain people.
https://wvutoday.wvu.edu/stories/2021/0 ... 9-pandemic
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

So one source suggests that the Amish were LESS affected by Covid than the general population and the other source suggests that they were MORE affected by Covid than the general population. Maybe we can do a meta analysis of the two conflicting sources and reach the conclusion that on average the Amish were neither more nor less affected than anyone else. :lol:

Of course there is probably no way to really know since no on actually collected data. It is all just anecdotal one way or the other. The government has data by location at the county level, and race/ethnicity using census categories. But it doesn’t have information parsed out by religious denomination. We do know that the Amish were far less likely to actually go in and get tested than non-Amish, so even if the data were reported by religious denomination it would likely be inaccurate anyway.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would guess that most Amish communities have reached local herd immunity by now.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 pm
Wade wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:36 pm Trusting God over pharmekia!
I trust God, have not gotten vaccinated, and have a grudging respect for Covid.

The Amish-Mennonite in the video pits two theories against each other (as is often done with Covid in forceful debates) rather than considering a wide range of options that do not include lockdowns nor vaccines, nor going on with life as usual.

This article looks at the other side. I know of some of the deaths referenced in this article and I don't know very many plain people.
https://wvutoday.wvu.edu/stories/2021/0 ... 9-pandemic
If the scripture says to gather and greet each other, then anything less can likely be disobedience. I'll remind you again in Canada the government has stepped in and told the church to disobey scripture and not meet and greet. I'd personally much rather die from COVID having peace with God than disobey God and join in the with the fear.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
3 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

“COVID does not respect doctrinal boundaries,” Colyer said. “Many of the Amish believe that God will protect them. The evidence suggests that COVID doesn't care if you are Amish or English, Christian or atheist. The consequences are the consequences.”

The study was funded by a $258,719 award from the National Science Foundation and earlier grants from the WVU Humanities Center, and the International Research Network for the Study and Science and Belief in Society.
I would have been happy to arrive at that conclusion for half the price. :P
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Wade

Post by Wade »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 pm
“COVID does not respect doctrinal boundaries,” Colyer said. “Many of the Amish believe that God will protect them. The evidence suggests that COVID doesn't care if you are Amish or English, Christian or atheist. The consequences are the consequences.”

The study was funded by a $258,719 award from the National Science Foundation and earlier grants from the WVU Humanities Center, and the International Research Network for the Study and Science and Belief in Society.
The BC health authority accidentally leaked documents showing that the numbers were higher amongst natives and Eskimos from dying from COVID. So this study is likely incorrect and Covid deaths are actually effected by a person's ethnicity some. I also verified the same on the CDC website - Hispanics have the best chance of survival.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Wade wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:13 pm
ohio jones wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 pm

The BC health authority accidentally leaked documents showing that the numbers were higher amongst natives and Eskimos from dying from COVID. So this study is likely incorrect and Covid deaths are actually effected by a person's ethnicity some. I also verified the same on the CDC website - Hispanics have the best chance of survival.
It isn’t necessarily ethnicity that distinguishes between communities. Native and Eskimo communities might well have different co-morbidities like obesity, diabetes due to diet, etc. that makes them more susceptible to Covid. And possibly less access to healthcare. I don’t know if that is the case. But it is certainly possible.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr