Miller Farms fined

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Miller Farms fined

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:04 pm I can honestly understand getting fresh raw milk produced locally that day or the day before. That is what we have in the stores around here. Very fresh product.

But raw milk shipped across the country by FedEx or UPS so that you get it days later after it has been sitting in various warehouses and on various trucks? Eeesh. That's just going to be a bacteria culture.
What Miller is making is butter and cheese.

Note that the entirety of Europe makes cheese out of raw milk to no ill effect. America is the oddball outlier on that front.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:46 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:04 pm I can honestly understand getting fresh raw milk produced locally that day or the day before. That is what we have in the stores around here. Very fresh product.

But raw milk shipped across the country by FedEx or UPS so that you get it days later after it has been sitting in various warehouses and on various trucks? Eeesh. That's just going to be a bacteria culture.

Note that the entirety of Europe makes cheese out of raw milk to no ill effect. America is the oddball outlier on that front.
Cheese made from raw milk is legal in the US. It just has to be aged at least 60 days. After 60 days the acids and salts in raw cheese prevent infectious bacteria like listeria and salmonella from growing. The parmigiano reggiano in my fridge from Costco is made from raw unpasteurized milk.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:03 pm

Cheese made from raw milk is legal in the US. It just has to be aged at least 60 days. After 60 days the acids and salts in raw cheese prevent infectious bacteria like listeria and salmonella from growing. The parmigiano reggiano in my fridge from Costco is made from raw unpasteurized milk.
And Europe doesn’t bother with those rules, and allows soft cheeses too. The EU generally has better food safety laws… and they aren’t suffering from death & disease due to tolerating raw milk cheese.

All I ask is that American federal laws get in sync with EU food safety laws.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:41 am
Ken wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:03 pm

And Europe doesn’t bother with those rules, and allows soft cheeses too. The EU generally has better food safety laws… and they aren’t suffering from death & disease due to tolerating raw milk cheese.

All I ask is that American federal laws get in sync with EU food safety laws.
Cheeses sold in the US do not actually need to be made from pasteurized milk unless they are fresh cheeses. The reason that most cheese producers use pasteurized milk when producing cheese in the US is not because of the law. But because they don't want to sicken their customers. As, for example, happened a few years back when Costco caused an E-coli outbreak by selling unpasteurized Gouda cheese from California. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/e-coli/costc ... i-outbreak

But you can go to any cheese shop that sells artisanal cheeses and find unpasteurized cheeses made in both Europe and the US if that is what you want.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 am Simply put, you’re wrong.

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/w ... ilk-cheese
That article is talking about fresh cheeses like Brie. Which is exactly what I wrote. It says right there in the article you linked to that unpasteurized cheeses only need to be aged 60 days to be legally sold in the US. So unpasteurized aged cheeses are perfectly legal to sell.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 am

That article is talking about fresh cheeses like Brie. Which is exactly what I wrote. It says right there in the article you linked to that unpasteurized cheeses only need to be aged 60 days to be legally sold in the US. So unpasteurized aged cheeses are perfectly legal to sell.
And lots of cheeses are not aged hard cheeses, like brie. Which they consume in complete safety in Europe, yet are banned here.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 am
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 am

And lots of cheeses are not aged hard cheeses, like brie. Which they consume in complete safety in Europe, yet are banned here.
Actually, Europe experiences thousands of cases of listeria per year, many of them severe causing hospitalization or death.

Instead of the US regulating food safety, do you want to hand the job off to some international agency that will do it for the whole world? So that there are never differences between the US and EU when it comes to food safety regulation?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:14 am But you can go to any cheese shop that sells artisanal cheeses and find unpasteurized cheeses made in both Europe and the US if that is what you want.
That was not the experience of John Cheese ... er, Cleese. And we are still unenlightened about whether Venezuelan Beaver Cheese is pasteurized or unpasteurized.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:20 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:14 am But you can go to any cheese shop that sells artisanal cheeses and find unpasteurized cheeses made in both Europe and the US if that is what you want.
That was not the experience of John Cheese ... er, Cleese. And we are still unenlightened about whether Venezuelan Beaver Cheese is pasteurized or unpasteurized.
:lol: Is this a cheesy cheeky conversation then?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God