Miller Farms fined

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Miller Farms fined

Post by mike »

Robert wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:39 am Image
I searched and couldn't find any news about this. The sale of raw milk over state lines is one of the key issues of this case. Or is this about the sale of products other than raw milk? Why would they leave in place an injunction against selling his products within the state, but allow him to ship them out of state?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Grace wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:37 am
Josh, Maryland regulation says ray milk cannot be transported off of the farm to any location other than a dairy licensed to receive said raw milk. Ownership is irrelevant. Even the owner is not permitted to transport off of his farm. As strange as it sounds, I know no one that is moving raw milk in Maryland, and I likely would. I know about heard shares in VA and over the counter sales in PA, but not here.
"Ray" milk, LOL, never tried that.
Typeing on an I pad. With it’s wonderful predictive power and my less than perfect eyesight, I am sunk.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

mike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 am
I searched and couldn't find any news about this. The sale of raw milk over state lines is one of the key issues of this case. Or is this about the sale of products other than raw milk? Why would they leave in place an injunction against selling his products within the state, but allow him to ship them out of state?
Only answer is his business is broader than raw milk products.
0 x
:hug:
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I think PA only has jurisdiction over raw milk sales within the state (can be done legally with a permit) while Feds only have jurisdiction over sales that cross state lines (raw milk retail sales prohibited entirely). Basically Amos is saying he wants to continue to sell interstate in violation of federal law but that the state doesn't have authority to stop him, only the Feds.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:28 am Josh, Maryland regulation says ray milk cannot be transported off of the farm to any location other than a dairy licensed to receive said raw milk. Ownership is irrelevant. Even the owner is not permitted to transport off of his farm. As strange as it sounds, I know no one that is moving raw milk in Maryland, and I likely would. I know about heard shares in VA and over the counter sales in PA, but not here.

Other commodities seem to be very loosely regulated. Meat and milk are the outliers.
I guess my morning commute would be illegal in Maryland then.
0 x
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:10 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:28 am Josh, Maryland regulation says ray milk cannot be transported off of the farm to any location other than a dairy licensed to receive said raw milk. Ownership is irrelevant. Even the owner is not permitted to transport off of his farm. As strange as it sounds, I know no one that is moving raw milk in Maryland, and I likely would. I know about heard shares in VA and over the counter sales in PA, but not here.

Other commodities seem to be very loosely regulated. Meat and milk are the outliers.
Doesn't the queen of raw milk have a farm in Maryland? I heard that Sally Fallon is selling raw milk under a "pet food" label. That would be on a large scale; EPMC Mennonites in MD sell raw milk to church families and neighbors.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:10 am
I think PA only has jurisdiction over raw milk sales within the state (can be done legally with a permit) while Feds only have jurisdiction over sales that cross state lines (raw milk retail sales prohibited entirely). Basically Amos is saying he wants to continue to sell interstate in violation of federal law but that the state doesn't have authority to stop him, only the Feds.
Sounds reasonable, but if that's the case, I wonder why the court would have issued an injunction in the first place that included something not under their jurisdiction. Maybe the court is basically telling the Feds to have at the case? Amos is basically inviting the FDA to get involved at this point.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:18 am Sounds reasonable, but if that's the case, I wonder why the court would have issued an injunction in the first place that included something not under their jurisdiction. Maybe the court is basically telling the Feds to have at the case? Amos is basically inviting the FDA to get involved at this point.
The first court made a mistake, in essence.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:10 am

Correction: I’d have to put little doggie footprints on my coffee mug and dish my morning coffee into a dog bowl first.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 am
mike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:18 am Sounds reasonable, but if that's the case, I wonder why the court would have issued an injunction in the first place that included something not under their jurisdiction. Maybe the court is basically telling the Feds to have at the case? Amos is basically inviting the FDA to get involved at this point.
The first court made a mistake, in essence.
Could be. So what Robert Barnes is doing is just spinning a technicality as a win for his client. Marketing.
0 x