Poll #1: Perspectives Related to the Covid Pandemic

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Check all that apply as it relates to the Covid-19 topic.

Total votes: 0

Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Poll: Response to Covid Pandemic

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:
Wade wrote:For me the topic title and the questions don't really make sense to use so interwoven.

Does a persons response automatically dictate being tied to trusting some secular group? - No, and if it does then maybe that is the persons god?
Sorry, but I am not understanding your difficulty. Care to explain further?
I had no motive with this poll other than to find out how people have been thinking/responding. I just listed the different responses I have heard the last few months as well as my own.
The questions seemed to do with who we trust but the title was about response. Those two things are different to me. Just because I do or don't trust someone, a group, or thing doesn't necessarily tell anything about what my response will be. So the questions and title confused me.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Wade wrote:The questions seemed to do with who we trust but the title was about response. Those two things are different to me. Just because I do or don't trust someone, a group, or thing doesn't necessarily tell anything about what my response will be. So the questions and title confused me.
Ok. I think I understand the difficulty.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Ernie wrote:I marked #5. I had been reading about the disease in China in January and February and was hearing directly from a friend in Wuhan about what was happening there. I couldn't believe it was happening in 2020.
Then I started reading about what was happening in NYC, and I assumed the worst. I was fearful of going to Wal-mart.

With time I realized that is really bad for some people, but most people only have mild symptoms. Some people think the virus is mutating to become more contagious but less deadly. That theory seems reasonable to me based on what I have seen so far with people I know who contracted the disease. So I am still being careful but not nearly as careful as in March and April.
Peace. Shalom. Be not afraid.

Regarding one: 1. I tend to believe most of what is commonly believed by reputable universities like Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, world health organizations like WHO, Federal Health Agencies like CDC, and moderate reporters in both Republican and Democratic news organizations.

Do you realize that what is commonly believed by those so-called "reputable" places ,
IS NOT
what is published , broadcast in the news or media or internet ? ?

As Written in GOD'S WORD: what is truth is called a lie, and what is a lie is published as truth.

First hand I learned from those "in the system" (licensed professionals, representatives, etc)
that
they choose to do what makes the most money,
not what is best for anyone's health.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Poll Results: 5-10-21

1. (17
2. (14
3. (14
4. (5
5. (4
6. (5
7. (1
8. (2
9. (1
10. (10
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Feel free to update your poll selections anytime.

It looks like #'s 6-10 have not changed at all since July of last year. I'm guessing that by July of 2020, the majority of folks in the US had decided who they trusted for news and science and have basically dug in their heels since then. There is a small percentage across the US since July of 2020 who became proponents of mitigation efforts (after getting really sick, losing a loved one, or experiencing long term health effects), but they seem to be in the minority. Likewise there is a small percentage who have decided since July of 2020 that precautions are unnecessary, since they don't personally know people who died or are experiencing long term health effects. But by July of 2020, I'm guessing the majority of Americans found sources they trusted and have stayed with those sources ever since.

Are your observations similar?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

And here is a perspective from June of 2020 that I'm posting here just for humor's sake.

A person from another country watched this video and wrote:
“Why they wear masks on wrong side of head? No wonder so many sick from corona in USA.”

:-)
2 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 am And here is a perspective from June of 2020 that I'm posting here just for humor's sake.

A person from another country watched this video and wrote:
“Why they wear masks on wrong side of head? No wonder so many sick from corona in USA.”

:-)
That is June 2020?
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 am Feel free to update your poll selections anytime.

It looks like #'s 6-10 have not changed at all since July of last year. I'm guessing that by July of 2020, the majority of folks in the US had decided who they trusted for news and science and have basically dug in their heels since then. There is a small percentage across the US since July of 2020 who became proponents of mitigation efforts (after getting really sick, losing a loved one, or experiencing long term health effects), but they seem to be in the minority. Likewise there is a small percentage who have decided since July of 2020 that precautions are unnecessary, since they don't personally know people who died or are experiencing long term health effects. But by July of 2020, I'm guessing the majority of Americans found sources they trusted and have stayed with those sources ever since.

Are your observations similar?
Last week I had marked #1, but I've deselected it. I do not believe them as much as I did initially. I also had marked #2 initially, but now marked #3 as well.
On #6, I had that marked. So I went from unconcerned, to more concerned. I am now completely unconcerned about it. So I will unselect that, even though it did fit me at one time.

So now I only have number 2 & 3 selected.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Thanks RZehr. I like folks who can keep an open mind and adjust their perspective as additional information comes to light. Such folks don't always come to the same conclusion but at least they are thoughtful people.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:38 am That is June 2020?
The comment was June of 2020.
0 x