Poll: Masks and Face Shields

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Choose all that Apply

Total votes: 0

Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: Poll: Masks and Face Shields

Post by Joy »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 pm
Joy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:56 am
Signtist wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:15 am I don't insist on it, but it was required of us. As of today, I guess eating out at most dine-in facilities is out of the question.
If you've flown recently, you probably noticed that the airlines ask you to wear a mask all the time, including in restroom stalls--well, we can't have the toilets getting COVID, now can we?--and when eating (not that even cross-country flights feed you an actual meal), "between bites and sips." :? That made for some looong flights for me recently. :)
Depends how well you can keep a straw in your mouth, perhaps...? :D
But some not-so-laid-back flight attendants will watch, and all but time their passengers, so one of my former students reported when she flew the same route. Most were fine, though. Their job is taxing these days.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Meanwhile, the Emmys are held with no masks for celebrities; the government has exceptions from mask rules for famous people, actors, and wealthy people.

Masks are a requirement for working class people. The wealthy and powerful elites excuse themselves from actually having to do this mask stuff.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Signtist wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:15 am
Josh wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pm Exactly what kind of person insists on wearing a mask in a restaurant? To wear it from walking from the door to the table, where they then take it off?
I don't insist on it, but it was required of us. As of today, I guess eating out at most dine-in facilities is out of the question.
I thought it was interesting last week on Monday it started here in BC and I was driving from the hospital with my family (where doctors and nursing laughed at covid and I had a nurse upset at me for wearing a mask in our hospital room) there was a transgender walking down the street with mask on, no one around, and wearing a shirt that allowed breast to hang out for public viewing and that is a completely law abiding citizen. Meanwhile if my recovering wife or four year had to go to the bathroom we would be criminals if I tried to pull into the nearest fast food restaurant to use a washroom like we used to with masks on even.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Wade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:20 pmI thought it was interesting last week on Monday it started here in BC and I was driving from the hospital with my family (where doctors and nursing laughed at covid and I had a nurse upset at me for wearing a mask in our hospital room) there was a transgender walking down the street with mask on, no one around, and wearing a shirt that allowed breast to hang out for public viewing and that is a completely law abiding citizen. Meanwhile if my recovering wife or four year had to go to the bathroom we would be criminals if I tried to pull into the nearest fast food restaurant to use a washroom like we used to with masks on even.
The "war on bathrooms" is an interesting one. In the early days of COVID, public rest areas were closed - one really wonders how health/cleanliness is improved by having fewer places to go the bathroom.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Here is a recent article. I read the article and am not sure I could say that "masks prevent Covid". I think people could use the same numbers to show how little masking helps. So I'm not interested in having a debate or commentary on what we should conclude from the numbers.

But I would like some discussion on whether you think the numbers are accurate and useful numbers. If not, what numbers seem accurate and useful to you?
https://theconversation.com/evidence-sh ... -go-167963
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 pm Here is a recent article. I read the article and am not sure I could say that "masks prevent Covid". I think people could use the same numbers to show how little masking helps. So I'm not interested in having a debate or commentary on what we should conclude from the numbers.

But I would like some discussion on whether you think the numbers are accurate and useful numbers. If not, what numbers seem accurate and useful to you?
I would trust any mainstream research / studies that came out in 2019 or earlier on the effectiveness of masks against colds, flus, and coronaviruses. (Many such studies exist.)
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 pm But I would like some discussion on whether you think the numbers are accurate and useful numbers. If not, what numbers seem accurate and useful to you?
I think these conclusions are reasonable based on the evidence given. And it seems consistent with the advice that I see from most medical or scientific organizations.
Before this study there was a lack of gold-standard evidence on the effectiveness of masks to reduce COVID-19 in daily life. Our study provides strong real-world evidence that surgical masks reduce COVID-19, particularly for older adults who face higher rates of death and disability if they get infected.

Policymakers and public health officials now have evidence from laboratories, models, observations and real-world trials that support mask-wearing to reduce respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Given that COVID-19 can so easily spread from person to person, if more people wear masks the benefits increase.

So next time you are wondering if you should wear a mask, the answer is yes. Cloth masks are likely better than nothing, but high-quality surgical masks or masks with even higher filtration efficiency and better fit – such as KF94s, KN95s and N95s – are the most effective at preventing COVID-19.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?