Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:02 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:37 pm Sure let’s have some tough love. That’s taking away drugs!

Tough love isn’t letting them die in the street from a drug overdose. That’s incompatible just like just war with Christianity.
Obviously if you don’t have it, you don’t have it. Are you going to stand by and let a person die? Or attempt to help with cpr?
I'm not going to go near a dangerous person who uses needles and will become violent and abusive if you interrupt their really good high. So the answer is "no". That person has already forfeited their own life, and I think it's bizarre to think that Jesus would have gone around adminsitering narcan - he didn't, and he already knew what Narcan was, and decided it wasn't something that needed to be part of his ministry on earth. It could have been, but it wasn't.
So just to be clear, you come across someone on the ground with needles next to them, you intend on doing nothing and letting them die?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:18 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:02 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:37 pm Sure let’s have some tough love. That’s taking away drugs!

Tough love isn’t letting them die in the street from a drug overdose. That’s incompatible just like just war with Christianity.
Obviously if you don’t have it, you don’t have it. Are you going to stand by and let a person die? Or attempt to help with cpr?
I'm not going to go near a dangerous person who uses needles and will become violent and abusive if you interrupt their really good high. So the answer is "no". That person has already forfeited their own life, and I think it's bizarre to think that Jesus would have gone around adminsitering narcan - he didn't, and he already knew what Narcan was, and decided it wasn't something that needed to be part of his ministry on earth. It could have been, but it wasn't.
So just to be clear, you come across someone on the ground with needles next to them, you intend on doing nothing and letting them die?
I would call 911. Under no conditions would I attempt intervention myself
1 x
:hug:
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm I would call 911. Under no conditions would I attempt intervention myself
Why not do cpr if warranted? It might keep them alive but in no way does it risk you getting attacked.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:13 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:05 pm I would call 911. Under no conditions would I attempt intervention myself
Why not do cpr if warranted? It might keep them alive but in no way does it risk you getting attacked.
Sure it does. What if the person comes to? I have absolutely no idea what state they are in, and people who use drugs and pass out in public are likely to be violent, armed, or worse.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:39 pm
Sure it does. What if the person comes to? I have absolutely no idea what state they are in, and people who use drugs and pass out in public are likely to be violent, armed, or worse.
Thank you for your answer.

I for one would rather be hurt then refuse to help someone dying.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:43 pm Thank you for your answer.

I do not tangle with certain types of street people that I don't know without any context (for starters, I would have no idea if they are "dying" or simply strung out on drugs; it's often hard to tell the difference). Doing so helps neither them or myself. If someone else chooses to get involved with strangers, that is their decision, but there is not a moral imperative to do so.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:14 pm

I do not tangle with certain types of street people that I don't know without any context (for starters, I would have no idea if they are "dying" or simply strung out on drugs; it's often hard to tell the difference). Doing so helps neither them or myself. If someone else chooses to get involved with strangers, that is their decision, but there is not a moral imperative to do so.
Okay. How is that dissimilar to the priest and the Levite, but similar to the Samaritan?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:04 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:14 pm

Okay. How is that dissimilar to the priest and the Levite, but similar to the Samaritan?
In the case of the good Samaritan, he didn't tangle with the robbers who beat up the victim - he instead helped the victim specifically. Perhaps the key thing here is that drug addicts are intentionally getting themselves to the edge of death to get the best "high"; they don't want your help or my help. Rather, they want to be left alone. That makes it very, very hard to "help" them.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

In addition to potential violent physical attacks/injuries/death, more+more reports are of deadly substances in tiny quantities.
Not professional first responders, alone, the general public, including innocent children, are put at risk.

AS REPORTED ON P.19 (transit drug study) TOXIC SUBSTANCES ARE FOUND ON MUNICIPAL BUSSES - on surfaces and in the air -
bus drivers are alarmed at their exposure, just doing their jobs!

My grdaughter+i were just on some of these really~nice~busses! - The situation is beyond pathetic.
Normalized depravity. “THIS is why we can’t have nice things.”

How To Reduce Health and Safety Risks For First Responders
“First responders risk everything to protect their communities—and these heroes deserve protection from the health and safety risks they face when performing their life-saving services.”

“The nature of first responders’ uncontrolled work environments leads to accidental exposure to dangerous chemicals, opioids, bodily fluids, fumes, and hazardous building materials, among many other concerns. These can lead to long-term health impacts, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, asthma, renal disease, respiratory disease, and death.”
https://healthierworkplaces.org/workpla ... fessionals
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Firstly, if you have had CPR lately, the first step is to ALWAYS call for (!!. Even if you are going to progress to a full code, you will sooner or later need backup. I just had CPR a few weeks ago, at the local community college. Except for peds. the first step was always activate the EMS system.

Secondly, I do not carry equipment with me. If you have an overdose, you are likely looking at respiratory arrest without cardiac arrest. (I actually ran a code at my former place of employment that fit this pattern) You are going to be ventilating without chest compressions. I do not carry a barrier mask with me. Therefore I am not going to risk taking a communicable disease back to my family. Get people that have gear on the scene.

If such a thing happened at church/school, we have the equipment including a good barrier mask.

Another problem that we were warned about at our CPR class, in Maryland was the current law is as soon as you touch the patient, you are obligated to stay with them until relieved by EMS. You can thank the trial lawyers for that, the good Samaritan law is no longer so good.
0 x
:hug: