Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Post by temporal1 »

Then i sent this meme: (also very appreciated)
‘cause, when you’re there,^^ - you need to be :arrow:

don’t ask me how i know. :-|
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

The Spanish civil war was a political war, that set countrymen against their fellow countrymen. It was one of the bloodiest civil wars of the 20th century. Only the breakup of Yugoslavia rivaled it.
1 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 pm The Spanish civil war was a political war, that set countrymen against their fellow countrymen. It was one of the bloodiest civil wars of the 20th century. Only the breakup of Yugoslavia rivaled it.
One of the few where the Communists didn’t win, either (I would characterise it as more of a Communist-funded insurgency than a true civil war). You can often identify a Communist by someone who is still upset about Franco, but fails to see anything wrong with the other side.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:21 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:59 pm The Spanish civil war was a political war, that set countrymen against their fellow countrymen. It was one of the bloodiest civil wars of the 20th century. Only the breakup of Yugoslavia rivaled it.
One of the few where the Communists didn’t win, either (I would characterise it as more of a Communist-funded insurgency than a true civil war). You can often identify a Communist by someone who is still upset about Franco, but fails to see anything wrong with the other side.
You have your history wrong. It was the Republicans who won election in 1936 and the Nationalist side and army officers like Franco who led a failed coup against the elected government that ended up launching the civil war.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:08 am
You have your history wrong. It was the Republicans who won election in 1936 and the Nationalist side and army officers like Franco who led a failed coup against the elected government that ended up launching the civil war.
By “win”, I mean win the war.

As I said, you can always spot a Communist because they will present diatribes against Franco and complain how unfair it it is that Communists weren’t allowed to turn Spain into an annex of the Soviet Union in 1936.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:14 am

As I said, you can always spot a Communist because they will present diatribes against Franco and complain how unfair it it is that Communists weren’t allowed to turn Spain into an annex of the Soviet Union in 1936.
I don't think I've ever even met a communist other than the old guy with a beard who used to try to hand out copies of the "Daily Worker" in front of the university library back when I was in college in the 1980s.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:20 am

I don't think I've ever even met a communist other than the old guy with a beard who used to try to hand out copies of the "Daily Worker" in front of the university library back when I was in college in the 1980s.
You must not know many mainland Chinese. Most of the ones I have interacted with are Communist.
0 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 am You must not know many mainland Chinese. Most of the ones I have interacted with are Communist.
I suppose I should say “western Communist”. The mainlanders I’ve known didn’t seem to care at all about Western European history.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 am
Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:20 am

You must not know many mainland Chinese. Most of the ones I have interacted with are Communist.
Less than 7% of the Chinese population are members of the Communist Party.

The only "mainland Chinese" that I have interacted with are the parents of my students who immigrated here. I seriously doubt any of them are communists. They are mostly small business owners who run local businesses like restaurants and dry cleaners.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The ones I interacted with were graduate students over here on student visas. They were definitely well connected back in the mainland and probable (or certainly, in the case of one) party members.
0 x