Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:57 pm Firstly, if you have had CPR lately, the first step is to ALWAYS call for (!!. Even if you are going to progress to a full code, you will sooner or later need backup. I just had CPR a few weeks ago, at the local community college. Except for peds. the first step was always activate the EMS system.
I guess I took it for granted you already knew this when I responded to you.
Secondly, I do not carry equipment with me. If you have an overdose, you are likely looking at respiratory arrest without cardiac arrest. (I actually ran a code at my former place of employment that fit this pattern) You are going to be ventilating without chest compressions. I do not carry a barrier mask with me. Therefore I am not going to risk taking a communicable disease back to my family. Get people that have gear on the scene.
And that’s fine, I do carry equipment or have the ability to improvise one. i’d want this for anyone I performed mouth-to-mouth with, because I would much rather not have vomit in my mouth.
My point which is applicable equipment or not, this guy isn’t going to bounce back without Narcan for an average person.
Another problem that we were warned about at our CPR class, in Maryland was the current law is as soon as you touch the patient, you are obligated to stay with them until relieved by EMS. You can thank the trial lawyers for that, the good Samaritan law is no longer so good.
I would very much doubt that would hold up in court of law if they tried attacking you. Besides unless you have Narcan it’s a moot point. Why in the world someone would want to leave the patient who needs your help, unless they became violent. I just don’t see the point in leaving them and being worried about that.
You aren’t under an obligation to perform CPR if you come across the person… I can tell you get fired if you work in EMS and they found out you didn’t do it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:20 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:57 pm Firstly, if you have had CPR lately, the first step is to ALWAYS call for (!!. Even if you are going to progress to a full code, you will sooner or later need backup. I just had CPR a few weeks ago, at the local community college. Except for peds. the first step was always activate the EMS system.
I guess I took it for granted you already knew this when I responded to you.
Secondly, I do not carry equipment with me. If you have an overdose, you are likely looking at respiratory arrest without cardiac arrest. (I actually ran a code at my former place of employment that fit this pattern) You are going to be ventilating without chest compressions. I do not carry a barrier mask with me. Therefore I am not going to risk taking a communicable disease back to my family. Get people that have gear on the scene.
And that’s fine, I do carry equipment or have the ability to improvise one. i’d want this for anyone I performed mouth-to-mouth with, because I would much rather not have vomit in my mouth.
My point which is applicable equipment or not, this guy isn’t going to bounce back without Narcan for an average person.
Another problem that we were warned about at our CPR class, in Maryland was the current law is as soon as you touch the patient, you are obligated to stay with them until relieved by EMS. You can thank the trial lawyers for that, the good Samaritan law is no longer so good.
I would very much doubt that would hold up in court of law if they tried attacking you. Besides unless you have Narcan it’s a moot point. Why in the world someone would want to leave the patient who needs your help, unless they became violent. I just don’t see the point in leaving them and being worried about that.
You aren’t under an obligation to perform CPR if you come across the person… I can tell you get fired if you work in EMS and they found out you didn’t do it.
I, for one, would most definitely not be doing CPR to some overdosing junkie on the street. I wouldn't even touch such as person. But I would call 911 and report it and not just walk away.

If I was trained and employed as an actual paramedic I would expect to respond appropriately to every emergency I am dispatched to and not pick and choose the people I choose to rescue. But I don't think paramedics do mouth-to-mouth CPR, they have equipment, oxygen masks, etc. And it is literally what you are being paid to do.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Amazon shutting down its Capitol HIll grocery store
https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2024 ... ery-store/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:43 pm 2024

Amazon shutting down its Capitol HIll grocery store
https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2024 ... ery-store/
Context.....

"1,000 people in India" ???

0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

When experiments are tried+fail in the private sector, they are generally deemed failures, then dismissed.

In government, failure is too often rewarded with expansion and additional funding. “More taxpayer dollars” are the go-to response.
Those profiting via gov experiments seek to continue THEIR personal interests, the cost to others is a distant second matter.
No matter how worthless, or even harmful, the policy is, no one wants to put themself out of work.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:51 am When experiments are tried+fail in the private sector, they are generally deemed failures, then dismissed.

In government, failure is too often rewarded with expansion and additional funding. “More taxpayer dollars” are the go-to response.
Those profiting via gov experiments seek to continue THEIR personal interests, the cost to others is a distant second matter.
No matter how worthless, or even harmful, the policy is, no one wants to put themself out of work.
Well in this case, Amazon secretly hired thousands of low-paid tech workers in India to watch Americans shop for groceries. All to avoid hiring regular American grocery clerks at normal American wages. I'm glad such a vile experiment collapsed on its own weight.

It's not like Amazon isn't still in the grocery business in Seattle. There is a big Whole Foods store on Seattle's Capitol Hill, only a couple blocks away from where this Amazon "experimental" clerk-free automated store was located. It is owned by Amazon too. And they are hiring: https://maps.app.goo.gl/5dMjHBmGiBNQQBD69 They just have normal clerks and cash registers like other groceries so it actually provides local jobs, not jobs in India. And there are plenty of other groceries in Capitol Hill as well, so it's in no danger of becoming a "food desert" and never will given how much population and wealth is there.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Did anyone make any such assertions? Not i.

Go ahead and chatter-away, tho. :) :blah:
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:20 pm Did anyone make any such assertions? Not i.

Go ahead and chatter-away, tho. :) :blah:
I'm curious then. Why DID you post a link to one small convenience store closing in Seattle that was a tech experiment gone wrong. What point were you actually trying to make with this information?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

As i shared in this topic’s 2020 OP, my son lived in Capitol Hill, and other nearby locations, mostly in King County, my daughter+family are in King County, the PNW is my home away from home. Usually for months each year.

Which makes us sort-of neighbors, altho i likely risk making you cough to say it. :P
i keep apprised of PNW current events, my family swims in it.

i doubt i’m the only forum member with PNW ties. In addition to RZehr.

This forum is more diverse than might be expected.
i recommend anyone coming to MN to not take anything for granted. There’s more here than meets the passing eye.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:28 pm As i shared in this topic’s 2020 OP, my son lived in Capitol Hill, and other nearby locations, mostly in King County, my daughter+family are in King County, the PNW is my home away from home. Usually for months each year.

Which makes us sort-of neighbors, altho i likely risk making you cough to say it. :P
i keep apprised of PNW current events, my family swims in it.

i doubt i’m the only forum member with PNW ties. In addition to RZehr.

This forum is more diverse than might be expected.
i recommend anyone coming to MN to not take anything for granted. There’s more here than meets the passing eye.
My daughter lives in Seattle and I have a large number of extended relatives living in the area as many of the younger generations of my large extended family have moved north from Oregon to Puget Sound for more opportunity. I lived there off and on for at least a decade going to the UW and then working for NOAA. I find myself up there quite frequently for various family and work reasons.

I understand the fascination from some on the right for Seattle's Capitol Hill since they did have that whole CHOP fiasco up there four years ago that pushed a lot of buttons. And was very poorly handled by Seattle's gutless mayor at that time.

But Capitol Hill is just an ordinary urban inner-city dense neighborhood like many other similar places around the country from Chicago to New York.

If one steps back and actually looks we see that:
  • Population is exploding in Capitol Hill and adjacent urban neighborhoods along with construction and investment. There are construction cranes all over.
  • People are moving in all the time and it is growing more and more wealthy. If anything, gentrification is biggest local fear.
  • Both violent crime and property crime are on downward trends for the past few years and lower than many other comparable cities around the country both red and blue.
  • Businesses, restaurants, groceries, and so forth are booming and there are, without a doubt, a higher density of grocery stores, restaurants, and businesses on Capitol Hill than in the neighborhoods that any forum member who is active here except perhaps Barnhart who lives in Brooklyn. There is nobody living on Capitol Hill who isn't within easy walking distance of multiple grocery stores
It isn't everyone's cup of tea. But if you are young and a tech worker working for Amazon or Microsoft or a professional working anywhere in the city then then I can see the appeal. There is lots to do and lots going on all the time. Just like in any other big city. But once people get married and have kids they tend to drift out to the suburbs or other parts of the city. It is no different in Manhattan or any other big city.

The greater Seattle metro area has over 4 million people. Most of it is actually ordinary suburbs like those anywhere else in the US with the car-centric development, sprawl, and traffic congestion that comes along with it. Capitol Hill is just a very tiny fraction, probably less than 1%. Greater Seattle is actually little different from Greater Dallas or greater Atlanta or anyplace else. If you want to live in a house on a cul-de-sac with middle class neighbors and drive everywhere, that is mostly what greater Seattle is.
Last edited by Ken on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x