Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Seattle’s (former?) Capitol Hill neighborhood

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:51 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 am
Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:20 am

I don't think I've ever even met a communist other than the old guy with a beard who used to try to hand out copies of the "Daily Worker" in front of the university library back when I was in college in the 1980s.
You must not know many mainland Chinese. Most of the ones I have interacted with are Communist.
Less than 7% of the Chinese population are members of the Communist Party.

The only "mainland Chinese" that I have interacted with are the parents of my students who immigrated here. I seriously doubt any of them are communists. They are mostly small business owners who run local businesses like restaurants and dry cleaners.
If an academic is not a party member he is not going anywhere. That from 13 years of working with grad. Students and scholars. More than half of them were party members. However, it is likely during Hu Jintow’s rule, they may not really have been Communists. But they were party members
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:54 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 am

You must not know many mainland Chinese. Most of the ones I have interacted with are Communist.

The only "mainland Chinese" that I have interacted with are the parents of my students who immigrated here. I seriously doubt any of them are communists. They are mostly small business owners who run local businesses like restaurants and dry cleaners.
If an academic is not a party member he is not going anywhere. That from 13 years of working with grad. Students and scholars. More than half of them were party members. However, it is likely during Hu Jintow’s rule, they may not really have been Communists. But they were party members
You are probably right. I've just never interacted with any Chinese at any academic level. Back when I was traveling in academic circles it was in fisheries management. And in that academic world, all the international scientists and scholars who attend conferences and such are Japanese, Russian, Norwegian, British, and Canadian. With the odd Icelander, Chilean, Mexican, and Spaniard tossed in. Not Chinese.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

“Kerry Hall hits the market as Cornish College of the Arts says goodbye to Capitol Hill”
https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2024 ... itol-hill/
.. The property and the 1921-built, three-story, 31,900-square-foot building sit just off Broadway in an area protected by a city landmark district but near where a new wave of development is starting to form. A few blocks east, a six-story “U-shaped” mixed-use project is moving forward on the Broadway’s block home to the popular Bait Shop bar. To the north, St. Mark’s is moving forward to redevelop a portion of its campus to create new affordable housing that will meld a new building with an adaptive reuse of the historic St. Nicholas building.

The nonprofit Cornish appears uninterested in exploring opportunities like Seattle’s proposed Connected Communities program hoped to ease affordable housing development by “community-based organizations,” instead putting the property up for sale for a developer or another organization to take the parcel and the old building into a new future.

“Nestled in the Harvard Belmont Landmark District, it exudes a timeless architectural appeal with its white façade and classical design elements,” the school says in the announcement. “Inside, it houses classrooms, studios, rehearsal spaces, and a large performance venue. It is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and is zoned LOWRISE3 (LR3).” ..

FYI
At the bottom of the article, there are 3 more articles, dated 2014, 2021, 2023.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:04 pm

You are probably right. I've just never interacted with any Chinese at any academic level. Back when I was traveling in academic circles it was in fisheries management. And in that academic world, all the international scientists and scholars who attend conferences and such are Japanese, Russian, Norwegian, British, and Canadian. With the odd Icelander, Chilean, Mexican, and Spaniard tossed in. Not Chinese.
Chinese do not manage fisheries, they eliminate them.
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:00 am
Ken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:04 pm
Chinese do not manage fisheries, they eliminate them.
Yes, a lot of the outlaw rogue fishing vessels on the high seas are Chinese.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr