Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

I, or someone I’m close to will be hospitalized.

Total votes: 0

Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Poll: Personal Coronavirus Permanent Impact

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
TruthSeeker wrote:If other countries (unrelated to USA) are experiencing COVID spikes, how has it become a political issue in the mind of some citizens of the US?
1. Many Americans are narcissistic, having little knowledge of or concern for what happens in other countries.
2. Many Americans look at almost every issue through a political lens.

I would hope more of us here could learn to adopt a global Kingdom perspective.
It really was the very beginning of the Covid announcement in the U.S. that people were more suspicious of it being political, before there was worldwide reporting done, and spikes hadn't been tracked, it was too early. It was politicized soon after Trump banned flights to & from China when Pelosi was accusing Trump of racism for banning flights. Its been poltiicized here all along..
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:
ohio jones wrote:I would hope more of us here could learn to adopt a global Kingdom perspective.
Its been poltiicized here all along..
By "here" I mean MennoNet. I'm not disagreeing with your statement.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Please update this poll. If you know anyone who has been hospitalized or died from Covid, please select number 1. I hardly can believe that only 19% of us know someone who was hospitalized.

If you do not know anyone who has been hospitalized or died from Covid, please select the corresponding number according to your expectations.
What do you think are the chances of you, or someone you know, either dying or being hospitalized from this?
Scale of 1-10.
3-8 fill in your own words in the comments.

As of yesterday, the results were:
1. 19%
2. 11%
3. 15%
4. 1%
5. 9%
6. 2%
7. 3%
8. 1%
9. 10%
10. 0%

Total of 47 votes.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The poll says "will be", so when I filled this out, I was more making a guess about the future.

As far as knowing anyone hospitalised... in terms of people I personally actually know well, I know of exactly 1 person who had to spend time in the hospital. However, he got treated in the hospital for pneumonia, not COVID-19. He has a few comorbidities.

I know of plenty of rumours and acquaintances and people I heard about second-hand. Surprisingly, I don't personally know a single person who's died, and I know a lot of people. (Maybe I don't know enough elderly people, or I don't know a lot of diabetic or morbidly obese people.)

Given the statistics I read in the newspaper, "friend of Josh" apparently confers on you healing from covid-19 and keeps you out of the hospital.
Last edited by Josh on Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

How does someone I know being hospitalized mean there is permanent personal impact?
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Last edited by RZehr on Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

So this was a question that I answered on the first page. Maybe someone will find it helpful in determining the "who".
Bootstrap wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 pm What definition of "somebody I am close to" should I be using?

And should I compare this to other reasons for people being hospitalized? I have two friends in the hospital right now, neither one has coronavirus. But it wouldn't be terribly surprising if someone I know does get hospitalized with coronavirus. And my friends skew old.

I would be extremely surprised if nobody I know winds up sick with coronavirus, but the poll specifically speaks of people being hospitalized.
RZehr wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:28 pm So number 5 means you think there is a 50% chance either way.

Close is open to definition. It should be more close than a distant acquaintance. But doesn’t have to be a personal confidante. We don’t need it that close, but let’s say you and them should at least know each others first and last name without having to scratch your head to remember it.
And for a forum exception, we will include all forum member as automatically qualified for “close”.

Yes, specifically hospitalized or death from this virus. Simply getting sick doesn’t count for this poll.

Boot, I don’t understand your second question.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Bring one of the most vulnerable, I have to take extra precautions. I doubt I’ll be hospitalized for Covid,especially thanks to the vaccine (I’m due for my third shot and have been tested and have a good antibody load already)

I intend to die of cancer not Covid!
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Surprisingly (to me) I don't know anyone who has had serious Covid to the point of hospitalization, much less dying. I know of people second hand who have been hospitalized and died. But they were not anyone I knew personally or was related to. It is surprising to me because I have a LOT of relatives, many elderly and with co-morbidities, and a significant portion who have not been vaccinated. And some live places like FL which has been a Covid hotbed. My wife has had co-workers who have gotten very serious cases of Covid. But they were not people I actually knew.

As a teacher I have had plenty of kids test positive and get quarantined from school last year. But mostly those were a-symptomatic or very mild cases as is typical with kids.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

RZehr wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:11 pm Please update this poll. If you know anyone who has been hospitalized or died from Covid, please select number 1. I hardly can believe that only 19% of us know someone who was hospitalized.

If you do not know anyone who has been hospitalized or died from Covid, please select the corresponding number according to your expectations.
What do you think are the chances of you, or someone you know, either dying or being hospitalized from this?
Scale of 1-10.
3-8 fill in your own words in the comments.

As of yesterday, the results were:
1. 19%
2. 11%
3. 15%
4. 1%
5. 9%
6. 2%
7. 3%
8. 1%
9. 10%
10. 0%

Total of 47 votes.
When you first made this poll my I chose number 5. I just selected number 1. A family friend died of COVID-19 on August 22nd. I know he's in heaven but those of us here on earth sure wish he could have stayed with us awhile longer.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly