Josh Harris no longer a Christian

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Josh Harris no longer a Christian

Post by Ernie »

0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Josh Harris no longer a Christian

Post by Robert »

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

So what happened? Who got to him?
This is happening person by person, church by church. People are succumbing it seems to pressure or deception or both.
Made to feel 'evil' for standing up for truth-
Accepting the new twist of scripture interpretations.
Made to feel like a bigot- harsh-judgemental

It reminds me of a couple of years ago my sister told me she didn't want to be called an "Evangelical Christian" anymore because of the same issues it seems that Josh is apologizing for that made her feel like Christians are too judgmental, focusing on 1 sin so much- (I realize folks on the Mennonet forum would not really see leaving the "Evangelical" label as a negative step but for the reasons one leaves, it would be since they are not turning to Anabaptism instead)

Do you get the feeling this sweeping delusion is taking place?
(I just posted that article from the Orthodox Church with a similar tone as Josh's reasons and the Queen Ann Bible)
People seem to be in a state of confusion! That once were grounded in the faith-

It's been a few decades since NO ONE claiming to be a Christian would have these 'new' attitudes & perspectives, & interpretations.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps it would be better to focus on the wide range of sins Jesus taught against. Fornication, killing, murder, hatred, greed, and very wealthy lifestyles are some things Jesus took a strong stance against.

But I suspect most of these who fall away simply want to be accepted by society and be “cool”. Jesus’ message was that we would be hated and persecuted. That’s not a very feel-good message.

On the flip side, I know of quite a few people, especially young men and young women in their 20s and 30s, who are finding faith or returning to faith. A common reason is they’re fed up with a fruitless, empty life, and sick of the sin in their lives and others.

I hope Josh Harris eventually tires of a life of Instagram selfies, marathons, and seeking adulation on social media. He’d find a good home in my church, but to truly be a part of it, he would need to realise he is a lost sinner, believe Jesus can save him, and then submit himself to fellow believers.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:Perhaps it would be better to focus on the wide range of sins Jesus taught against. Fornication, killing, murder, hatred, greed, and very wealthy lifestyles are some things Jesus took a strong stance against.

But I suspect most of these who fall away simply want to be accepted by society and be “cool”. Jesus’ message was that we would be hated and persecuted. That’s not a very feel-good message.

On the flip side, I know of quite a few people, especially young men and young women in their 20s and 30s, who are finding faith or returning to faith. A common reason is they’re fed up with a fruitless, empty life, and sick of the sin in their lives and others.

I hope Josh Harris eventually tires of a life of Instagram selfies, marathons, and seeking adulation on social media. He’d find a good home in my church, but to truly be a part of it, he would need to realise he is a lost sinner, believe Jesus can save him, and then submit himself to fellow believers.
You sound somewhat like my sister Josh. What you don't realize is the only reason this particular sin keeps coming up is because of the 'movement' to believe it isn't sin- and to accept it without any need of repentance. Church by Church is facing this in a way as never before. I'm glad, very glad, to hear of young concerts. But satan I'd taking many more captive too
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I urge you to read the article in the thread I started "Meanwhile in Orthodoxy". The article lays it all out very well-
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The evangelical church accepted fornication long before it started to accept homosexuality.

There is no stomach to teach young people that falling into sin will literally send you to hell - and there’s no guarantee you’ll ever climb out of it. A Christian who falls into this sin needs to be shunned and “turned over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh”.

Instead there is lots of coddling about Jesus’ grace. No awareness of his wrath.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:I urge you to read the article in the thread I started "Meanwhile in Orthodoxy". The article lays it all out very well-
Valerie,

I’m familiar with Orthodoxy and it has the same problems evangelicals do. I urge you to listen to the message Ernie posted on church planting.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote:I urge you to read the article in the thread I started "Meanwhile in Orthodoxy". The article lays it all out very well-
Valerie,

I’m familiar with Orthodoxy and it has the same problems evangelicals do. I urge you to listen to the message Ernie posted on church planting.
Did you read the article? At least Orthodox are accepting blame- don't forget, Anabaptist Churches have sects within that these same sins are promoted, judge not lest he be judged. I will read Ernie's article but I think you should read the one I posted which is an excellent address/response
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

The following is a quote from an insightful article in the American Conservative on Josh Harris' Apostasy, and specifically his (and many other's) failure to reconcile the Sexual Revolution with his faith and with scripture. (Thanks to Rachel Stella for pointing it out).
Rod Dreher wrote:Josh Harris is right: you can’t reconcile Christianity with the Sexual Revolution. If you can make the Bible say that the Sexual Revolution is ordained by God, then you can make it say just about anything. The rock of faith would indeed be made of Silly Putty. There will be a generation of Christians — Catholics, Evangelicals, Orthodox — who try to live within that contradiction, but their rationalizations won’t stick. There’s just too much in Scripture and Tradition to counter it.

Obedience in sexual matters is not the whole of Christianity, but it can’t be severed from it. You can’t serve two masters. Sexual liberation is the prosperity gospel of progressive Christianity. Jesus told the Rich Young Ruler of the Gospel to sell everything he had and come follow him. The Rich Young Ruler went away sad, because his heart was in his wealth. It goes that way with sexual freedom too.
0 x