Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: Bootstrap prefers to have scientific discussions among scientists, and is sick of partisan political hot button debates.
Or could it be that it is starting to be revealed that some scientists lie and the climate issue is being used as a political tool instead of an environmental condition?
Unless meteorologists and scientists have colluded together to deceive the world, I don't see how anyone can deny that something is taking place. History shows us that it's happened before. And it happened before the industrial revolution, so I think that the current situation is a bit overblown by politicians.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote: Unless meteorologists and scientists have colluded together to deceive the world, I don't see how anyone can deny that something is taking place. History shows us that it's happened before. And it happened before the industrial revolution, so I think that the current situation is a bit overblown by politicians.
I concur.

Solomon kind of talks about this in Ecclesiastics. 8-)
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Baiting?
So you show your charts and articles and it is fact, but when I do, it is baiting?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: Baiting?
So you show your charts and articles and it is fact, but when I do, it is baiting?
Still baiting?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Still baiting?
Just having fun. If it is really irritating you, I will stop.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Still baiting?
Just having fun. If it is really irritating you, I will stop.
I think any productive conversation on a scientific question like this would have to be done in a structured, scientific way that is about carefully looking at the data for various claims together and looking at the various views and who holds them together. Slowly, carefully, without drama and without bringing in populist or politicized sources.

And I think so many conversations we have on so many topics are aimed more at dismissing "the other side" than at carefully looking at the facts behind the questions we're discussing. We're not actually discussing the topic we pretend we're talking about. It's a proxy for something else.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: I think any productive conversation on a scientific question like this would have to be done in a structured, scientific way that is about carefully looking at the data for various claims together and looking at the various views and who holds them together.
And I think it is okay for people to have opinions, even if they are wrong. We are not setting policy here. Just talking.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: I think any productive conversation on a scientific question like this would have to be done in a structured, scientific way that is about carefully looking at the data for various claims together and looking at the various views and who holds them together.
And I think it is okay for people to have opinions, even if they are wrong. We are not setting policy here. Just talking.
Then there is the Whistleblower who accuses NOAA of fudging the data sets to influence a political summit.
article.

This whole topic has been politicized to the point that the deliberate manipulation of data will taint any discussion. We'll trust God to perfect the situation.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

:laugh I just now caught it that this is about Global Warning, not Global Warming.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

lesterb wrote:Unless meteorologists and scientists have colluded together to deceive the world, I don't see how anyone can deny that something is taking place. History shows us that it's happened before.
i talked to a guy a few days ago. he was in his 80's. he said, that his school teacher told them, "in 100 years, there won't be any winter." that statement would have been made LONG before climate change became the buzz word.

winters have not been the same as i remember them.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme