Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:46 pm
RZehr wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:33 pm Yes, I have noticed all of this. But if we are getting more snow, I haven’t noticed. In fact it seems we have been getting less.

And if we do get more snow in the future because of global warming, how would that extra snow not help glaciers?
somewhere earlier in this topic is a report describing how warming is less deadly than cooling, with reasons why.
i well remember the awful extended subzero temps we had in the 1970’s. it’s dangerous.

the elite who stand to profit from their big ideas, do NOT live by their stances.
their self indulgences, wars, etc., all reflect they are NOT worried. when they begin moving away from their beachfront properties, Martha’s Vineyard and the rest, they will be more convincing.

when the wealthy feel a threat, they respond to it. they become stripped down to being vulnerable humans, just like the rest.

in any event, God provides.

i don’t know of anyone who experienced GLOBAL COOLING of the 70’s who wants to return.
it was frightening. the reverse of today wrt to media fear mongering.
The problem with climate change isn't that the actual temperature (hot or cold) will kill you. We are only taking about changes of a few degrees in average temperature. During the last ice age, the earth's average temperature was only about 5 degrees Celsius colder than today.

The problem with climate change is that it will make many parts of the earth uninhabitable due to drought and sea level rise, displace billions of people, and cause absolutely massive economic damages and displacement.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

o.look. :arrow:
someone noticed wars might not be good for the environment.
:roll:

“Environmental disaster feared after British ship hauling tons of fertilizer struck by Houthis, sinks into sea”
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2024/03/02 ... a-1441962/

WSJ paywall / “British Ship Rubymar Hit by Houthi Missile Sinks in Red Sea”
The cargo vessel carried fertilizer, threatening the region’s marine ecosystem
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/b ... a-602cb002

ya think?

the profiteers won’t get behind this.

“How to destroy everyone+everything for profit without hurting the planet?” hmm. let’s see.
GREEN WARS
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

.. The problem with climate change is that it will make many parts of the earth uninhabitable due to drought and sea level rise, displace billions of people, and cause absolutely massive economic damages and displacement.

As has occured throughout history, life happened, before social media.
(Acts of God/the natural world.) Weather, geography, disease, etc. Fire.

As results from human crafted wars, conflicts? Big blunders+accidents? Sabotage? Nord Stream?

The main difference now is academia+politicians bleating away about what other people “should do” about it, with no practical personal investment. With encouragement from profiteers.

Regular people know what to do. Christians pray and follow God’s will. The wealthy contrive to become wealthier, without accountability when they fail. The last part is imperative. When the powerful fail, they get promotions.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Scriptures have plenty to say about being good stewards of earth. It’s important.
Nothing to say about transfer of vast wealth to rich guys with big eyes.

Bible Verses About Stewardship Of The Earth
Here we are collected Bible verses about Stewardship Of The Earth from Old, and New Testaments of the Bible (KJV – King James version of the Bible). These verses are ranked by the number of likes.
https://mybibleverses.org/stewardship-of-the-earth/

^^There may be better examples.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

This is quite humorous.

3 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken

Post by Ken »

He's not wrong.

CO2 has a half-life of about 120 years in the atmosphere and Industrialized countries are infinitely more responsible for the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere than poor countries like Guyana.

And it won't be Guyana that will be burning that oil. It will be burned in places like the UK and US. If the UK and US are going to continue to insist on burning oil, then it might as well be Guyana that sells them the oil as anyone else.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

In the free market, sales USUALLY go to the highest bidders, also, customers with reliable payment history, etc.
If i’m not mistaken, China+India are the world’s biggest polluters, and in place to be the biggest consumers, if not already.

Unfortunately, there is an understandable theme coming out of China and elsewhere, that developed countries “had their turn” to overuse fossil fuels, now they want their turn. They aren’t interested in expensive “green” tech ..

They may also see the deep hypocrisy of unrestrained military involvement where ever wanted, and wonder “how green is that?!”
“Wanted” is the intended word. The elite does what it wants. True throughout history, every continent, every culture.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:00 pm In the free market, sales USUALLY go to the highest bidders, also, customers with reliable payment history, etc.
If i’m not mistaken, China+India are the world’s biggest polluters, and in place to be the biggest consumers, if not already.
Only if you are measuring on a country-by-country basis and not on a person-by-person basis. Which is the correct way to do the analysis. It is people who do the polluting, not countries.

On a per-capita basis, Americans, Canadians, Australians, and western Europeans still burn vastly more oil and gasoline, and emit vastly more carbon dioxide than either Indians or Chinese. And the carbon dioxide that is already in the atmosphere and will remain there for many more decades is much more due to emissions from North America and western Europe than anyplace else.

I'm no apologist for China. Not in the slightest. But their national energy grid is currently at about 60% fossil fuel generated and about 40% nuclear and renewables, which coincidentally, is nearly identical to the US. They use more coal and we use more natural gas. But both generate CO2. The difference is that coal is dirtier in that it puts out many other types of particulate pollution that natural gas does not. The other difference is that China is transitioning much faster than the US. China is bringing online far more nuclear and hydro projects than the US and is transitioning enormously faster away from fossil fuels in other sectors. In 2023 something like 30% of all vehicles sold in China were electric and that number is increasing rapidly. China is also building low-carbon transportation networks like bullet trains and subways enormously faster than the US where we are still in highway building mode.

Turning to India. In the pasta 10 years, India has electrified virtually all of its vast railway system. Within a year or two it will reach 100% electric. While at the same time greatly expanding its rail network for both freight and passengers. We are doing nothing comparable here in the US. We are increasingly reliant on trucks, private cars, and planes for our freight and passenger transportation systems. Which are all vastly more carbon-intensive than electrified freight and passenger rail. And the average American emits about 10x more carbon dioxide than the average Indian.

Yes, we should most definitely be pressuring China and India to reduce carbon emissions, although our ability to actually do so is somewhat limited. One way to do so might be through a carbon import tax. Which would actually be a tax on Americans and not China or India. But it would, at least, provide an economic incentive for Americans and American companies to source goods from places that generate the lowest amount of carbon-emissions in their manufacture.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:29 pm Yes, we should most definitely be pressuring China and India to reduce carbon emissions, although our ability to actually do so is somewhat limited. One way to do so might be through a carbon import tax. Which would actually be a tax on Americans and not China or India. But it would, at least, provide an economic incentive for Americans and American companies to source goods from places that generate the lowest amount of carbon-emissions in their manufacture.
Sounds like the tariffs we had in place from 2016 to 2020. I know some have been removed, but not been following closely to which ones.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:26 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:29 pm Yes, we should most definitely be pressuring China and India to reduce carbon emissions, although our ability to actually do so is somewhat limited. One way to do so might be through a carbon import tax. Which would actually be a tax on Americans and not China or India. But it would, at least, provide an economic incentive for Americans and American companies to source goods from places that generate the lowest amount of carbon-emissions in their manufacture.
Sounds like the tariffs we had in place from 2016 to 2020. I know some have been removed, but not been following closely to which ones.
I think Biden dropped some of the steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada and Europe but kept most or all of the ones on China.

Instead of banning TikTok as Congress proposes, they should just put an enormous tariff on TikTok and all other software and media platforms out of China until they decide to let American media companies operate freely in China. Reciprocity. That wouldn't be a climate measure though.
0 x