NY Set to Legalize Abortion Up to Birth

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

NY Set to Legalize Abortion Up to Birth

Post by mike »

Amanda Prestigiacamo via The Daily Wire wrote:The womb will become an even less safe place for unborn babies in New York come Tuesday. Democrat legislators are set to legalize abortion up to birth and remove the fatal prodeure from the state's criminal code altogether with the passing of the euphemistically named Reproductive Health Act.

The proposed legislation erases the current limitation on abortion in the state, which is set at 24 weeks. The Reproductive Health Act states, "every individual who becomes pregnant has the fundamental right to choose to carry the pregnancy to term, to give birth to a child, or to have an abortion."

So long as a licensed practitioner acts in "good faith," a baby can be murdered in the womb up to birth in order "to protect the patient's life or health." Notably, the meaning of the word "health" is not defined within the legislation.

"A health care practitioner licensed, certified, or authorized under title eight of the education law, acting within his or her lawful scope of practice, may perform an abortion when, according to the practitioner's reasonable and good faith professional judgment based on the facts of the patient's case: the patient is within twenty-four weeks from the commencement of pregnancy, or there is an absence of fetal viability, or the abortion is necessary to protect the patient's life or health," reads the legislation.

The bill is set to be passed in the state legislature on Tuesday to commemorate the 46th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

"This is only the beginning of the protections that we will have for our women, for our environment, criminal-justice reform, education — the list goes on," Sen. Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D-Yonkers) told The Democrat & Chronicle, reports FaithWire. "But in January, the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we will make our statement, we will make our mark."

"The bill also removes abortion from the definition of homicide, and from the penal code entirely," reports the Times Union. "Opponents say this limits prosecutors when they look to charge individuals who harm a woman's unborn child in a domestic violence case or otherwise. Supporters say, in such cases, there remain plenty of other, much harsher criminal charges at prosecutors' disposal."

Since New York Republicans lost control of the Senate in November, the bill is expected to pass with Democrat support. Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY), a Catholic, is expected to sign the legislation.

"As many of you know, the Governor is pushing again for abortion through birth and even after with so-called 'Reproductive Health Act.' Now he has an anti-Life Democrat-led Senate to help him get it through," posted pro-life group New York State Right to Life via Facebook.

In 2014, Cuomo infamously said pro-lifers have no place in the state:

"Who are they?" Cuomo asked rhetorically during a radio interview, complaining about opposition to the anti-Second Amendment SAFE Act. “Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are."
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: NY Set to Legalize Abortion Up to Birth

Post by Bootstrap »

Wow. This is terrible.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike

Post by mike »

I believe and always have that abortion is murder, but I think I have become desensitized to how evil it really is.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i read about this coming up several months ago.
i believe this is how it is in Canada. i’d like to be corrected.

we had neighbors with 2 boys, they were expecting #3, a girl, with great anticipation.
at fully 9 months, strong, healthy mother and baby went into labor.
there were labor complications, the cord was twisted around the baby’s neck, she was stillborn.
on Valentine’s Day.

my friend described it to me, saying, in quiet shock+disbelief, “she was perfect. there was nothing wrong. she looked just like (one of their boys).” “how can this be?” her raw emptiness was beyond description.

there is no way to understand what drives this for-profit industry.
even understanding the temptation for profit, it seems other-worldly. not real. not possible.

yet. there it is. now an openly stated political party platform. no shame; pride.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Here’s a thought experiment. If I believe all abortion is murder, why is this law worse than the previous law?
If abortion is the same as murder, if life begins at conception, why is there an increase in wickedness from killing at 1 week vs 42 weeks vs after birth?
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

RZehr wrote:Here’s a thought experiment. If I believe all abortion is murder, why is this law worse than the previous law?
If abortion is the same as murder, if life begins at conception, why is there an increase in wickedness from killing at 1 week vs 42 weeks vs after birth?
Good questions.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote:
RZehr wrote:Here’s a thought experiment. If I believe all abortion is murder, why is this law worse than the previous law?
Good questions.
for many of us, there is no difference.
the shock is about how the new life develops beyond any possible denial of a fully formed infant human, YET, abortion proponents stubbornly deny. the fully formed dead baby is there, yet they deny it life.

With the same timing, Illinois’ new DNC governor is proud to proclaim: :-|
“Pritzker sets deadline to fully implement taxpayer funded abortion law”
http://newschannel20.com/news/local/pri ... ive-rights

Illinois had a Republican governor for 4 years.
He made the mistake of betraying those who elected him by signing this abortion bill with Chicago DNC. One term governor. Even tho he compromised with the DNC on different matters, he was stonewalled by Chicago DNC and lib media for 4 years. He should not have bothered attempting compromise. In so doing, he lost any personal dignity he might have had.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Murder is always wrong.

However, two adult criminals who get into a scuffle and up trying to kill each other a dispute is a bit different from an adult who kills a defenceless little child. And the younger and more innocent that child, the worse the adult’s actions.

By the same token, at least a child only a few weeks or months old doesn’t yet feel things like pain. A child about to be born does feel pain and has a fully functioning brain. Killing a child is bad; choosing to do so in a way that increases the pain and suffering whilst you kill her is worse; being a political figure who demonises your political opponents for speaking up against this is worst.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

There probably is no difference. I think one thing that may make this seem so shocking is that many states have been trying to implement laws that go the other way in order to get as close to outlawing abortion as possible. Looking at the bigger picture however, a question arises: is it unreasonable to believe that the next step may be a push to legalize outside the womb killing of unwanted babies and if so, is there a convenient stopping place after that?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

To me, there's at least a pragmatic difference: in poll after poll, most Americans believe that late-term abortion is wrong. And no matter what someone else thinks about when life begins, it's hard to see much difference between a fully formed child just before birth and a fully formed child just after birth.

I continue to think that we would make a lot of progress by passing laws targeted at outlawing those abortions that a clear majority of Americans see as wrong. Those are the easiest laws to pass.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?