College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: College Turmoil

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:39 am
barnhart wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:55 am Thanks HK, your response reads like an editorial. There is very little there I would disagree with. The liberal project is a runaway train but everyone is along the same track, scoffing those behind them who got off sooner and expressing horror at those who went further. The secular West may experience a "de-creation" event but isn't that the flip side expression of the same passions that produced the horrors of empire, like the Crusades, in previous eras. I am reminded of the epistle to the Hebrews, "We have here no continuing city, for we seek one to come."
For a deeper look at desecration or "de-creation" and the consequences of unshackling ourselves from God-given limitations in the name of Freedom; I recommend Carl Trueman's Erasmus Lecture.
As both Augustine and Freud understood, transgression is pleasurable, and the greater the transgression, the greater the pleasure. Well, there can be no greater transgression than that against the sacred. In killing God, we grant ourselves the privilege of becoming gods ourselves. There is surely no greater exhilaration than in being God. And there is no more dramatic way of being God than in waging a holy war against the God-given nature of embodied human personhood.

There is a heavy price to pay for the desecration of man. In a letter written, like Lewis’s The Abolition of Man lectures, in the early 1940s, Czesław Miłosz commented to his friend Jerzy Andrzejewski that, without a religious and metaphysical underpinning, the word “man” becomes contentless. Elsewhere in the same letter, Miłosz speaks of wartime atrocities being made possible by the philosophical reduction of the human person to a lump of animated meat (or as Mary Harrington put it more recently, “Meat Lego”). Once that reduction is accomplished, Miłosz says, it is easy to imagine young men in clean military uniforms shooting other human beings while also eating their lunch. In Crepuscular Dawn, Paul Virilio observes that the presupposition of Nazi eugenics was that the body possessed no moral significance; camp doctors were therefore free to engage in their horrific experiments with no pang of conscience. Divorced from the image of God and from personhood, the body is animate Play-Doh at best. And so the desecration continues, as recent responses on American university campuses to Hamas violence against Jewish children indicate. Dostoevsky’s Ivan Karamazov, faced with the incalculable suffering of innocent children, was unable to accept that sense could be made of it by any final providential ordering. In a melancholy act of rebellion, he declared that the price of harmony was too high, and he most respectfully returned to God the ticket. Ours is a world that seems all too eager to revel even in the destruction of infants, all enabled by the death of God and the consequent dehumanization that it entails.

Our cultural imagination is steeped in the seemingly endless potential offered by technology. “Man” is an even emptier term for us than it was for Lewis and Miłosz. Technological developments simultaneously destabilize any sense of what it means to be human and push us to see nature as mere raw material. As the folk memory of the Christian moral vision fades, we can define the term “human” however we wish. Indeed, it is this repudiation of the body’s authority that has made the question “What is a woman?” so difficult to answer. Gender confusion is not a discrete phenomenon. It arises from a basic bewilderment about how to answer the question “What is a human?”

This lack of any normative embodied understanding of what it means to be human frees our technologically empowered wills from any limitation. The question of what, if anything, it means to be human is then projected into the future, to the detriment of whatever we have been in the past or are in the present. If to be human is to be embodied according to Christian teaching, then today we are dehumanized, our bodies mere matter without moral or teleological significance, to be moved from potency to act. And yet, having no given nature, our potency has no intrinsic shape to define what that move might look like.
There is no honest, informed way to play dumb anymore.
The experiment was implemented, the godless results are in. This, in my lifetime.
Good intentions by many, unintended consequences. “Rule by atheists,” was not an openly stated plan.
It follows by default.

Back to the old drawing board.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:22 am
Ken wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:17 amPrivate universities are not the government and college students or faculty (in their role as college students and faculty) are not private citizens. They are invited members of an institution and as voluntary members of that institution agree to various standards of conduct. No different from how you agreed to standards of conduct when you voluntarily joined your church.
We all know that, Ken,

The entire point is that these institution's Presidents were dragged in front of Congress (which is, for all intents and purposes, the federal government), where a Republican congresswoman exerted pressure to abridge the university's rights to allow students to engage in free speech on campus. In short, the federal government got the President fired for allowing free speech on campus. I think that's wrong. (Harvard and MIT's Presidents are standing firm, but Penn's folded.)

You should know me well enough to know that I'm not at all aligned or in favour of most of what goes on at elite universities, but I also don't think the federal government should be abridging free speech. What that congresswoman did was wrong, and I don't want to see more of it. And this is a political hot button issue - Democrats aren't really fighting it and many are probably afraid to right now.
Personally I'm tired of hearing about the Ivy League and their silliness and the outsize influence they have on this nation's discourse. For example, the University of Texas educates more students than the entire Ivy League combined. And I have a very hard time caring one way or the other about the highly privileged students who attend those institutions and their own personal political obsessions one way or the other.

So, for example, as far as I'm concerned, what some student group at UPenn or Harvard writes in some newsletter does not come close to breaking into the top 1000 list of important events or issues happening in higher education today. And I care even less about which highly-overpaid millionaire functionary is running each of those institutions. Yet every time anything happens on one of those Ivy League campuses it always seems to go straight to the front pages of the nation's newspapers.

As far as UPenn goes. They are the 6th richest university in the history of the world yet they are still endlessly grubbing for more money from wealthy donors. And that seems to be more important to them than imparting values on the privileged young adults under their care. If they choose to cave to the ravings of partisans in Congress that is on them. It might have been appropriate for the president of UPenn to offer her resignation in the wake of her politically obtuse testimony in Congress. But it is shameful for the UPenn Board of Trustees to have accepted her resignation if they didn't think it was warranted. At least Harvard and MIT seem to have a little more backbone in all of this.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

PLAGIARISM / “Inadequate Citation” :lol:

CAROL SWAIN / CLAUDINE GAY

The Daily Signal / Higher Ed Proves It’s All About Cultural Revolution
https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/12/14/ ... rumps-all/
.. Political scientist Carol Swain, one of the people Gay plagiarized, said in a Fox News interview that Harvard is trying to “redefine what is plagiarism” to protect Gay.

“Claudine Gay needs to step down. Obviously, the Harvard Corporation did not have the courage to fire its first black president, someone who should never have been elevated in the first place,” Swain said. Swain is also black.

The school seems unfazed by all of this and much of the Harvard faculty has expressed unqualified support. They will stick with Gay no matter what it seems.

It may seem strange to see a school proclaiming to be one of the world’s elite institutions stay committed to Gay, who didn’t exactly have an impressive academic record before she got hired.

But it makes sense if you consider that the school is wholly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in practice and as an ideology.

Gay’s primary work has been focused on race and “racial justice.” In 2020, Harvard Magazine reported that she led a reboot of a “cluster hire” in ethnicity, indigeneity, and migration. Cluster hiring is when schools hire in bulk using DEI statements as the primary standard for applicants.

She also created a program to “recruit leading scholars of race and ethnicity to spend a year at Harvard engaged in teaching our undergraduates.”

It should be clear now, if it wasn’t before, that DEI is what higher education worships, even above standards of education. They are quite willing to abandon academic excellence and even money. ..

NY Post / Harvard only standing by Claudine Gay as too scared to ‘fire its first black president,’
claims professor she’s accused of plagiarizing
https://nypost.com/2023/12/13/news/harv ... f-copying/
.. Carol Swain, a former political science professor at Vanderbilt University, spoke out hours after Harvard said it was standing by the embattled president — even while conceding some of her academic work needed correcting after an investigation into the plagiarism claims.

“I feel like her whole research agenda, her whole career, was based on my work,” Swain told Fox News Digital of allegations Gay lifted some without proper attribution.

“My blood pressure is rising today because of Harvard’s decision that what she did doesn’t constitute plagiarism, and it doesn’t rise to the level of her removal,” she said.

“My message to Harvard is: You don’t get to redefine what is plagiarism. Most of us know what plagiarism is,” she said.

“It is an insult to intelligence what Harvard University has done,” she said of the outrage also involving Gay’s congressional testimony on antisemitism at the school.

The Boston Globe / Harvard Board says .. (paywall)
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/12/12/ ... lagiarism/

Carol Swain bio
https://carolmswain.com/
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:25 pm PLAGIARISM / “Inadequate Citation” :lol:

.. Political scientist Carol Swain, one of the people Gay plagiarized, said in a Fox News interview that Harvard is trying to “redefine what is plagiarism” to protect Gay.

“Claudine Gay needs to step down. Obviously, the Harvard Corporation did not have the courage to fire its first black president, someone who should never have been elevated in the first place,” Swain said. Swain is also black.

The school seems unfazed by all of this and much of the Harvard faculty has expressed unqualified support. They will stick with Gay no matter what it seems.

It may seem strange to see a school proclaiming to be one of the world’s elite institutions stay committed to Gay, who didn’t exactly have an impressive academic record before she got hired.

But it makes sense if you consider that the school is wholly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in practice and as an ideology.

Gay’s primary work has been focused on race and “racial justice.” In 2020, Harvard Magazine reported that she led a reboot of a “cluster hire” in ethnicity, indigeneity, and migration. Cluster hiring is when schools hire in bulk using DEI statements as the primary standard for applicants.

She also created a program to “recruit leading scholars of race and ethnicity to spend a year at Harvard engaged in teaching our undergraduates.”

It should be clear now, if it wasn’t before, that DEI is what higher education worships, even above standards of education. They are quite willing to abandon academic excellence and even money. ..

NY Post / Harvard only standing by Claudine Gay as too scared to ‘fire its first black president,’
.. Carol Swain, a former political science professor at Vanderbilt University, spoke out hours after Harvard said it was standing by the embattled president — even while conceding some of her academic work needed correcting after an investigation into the plagiarism claims.

“I feel like her whole research agenda, her whole career, was based on my work,” Swain told Fox News Digital of allegations Gay lifted some without proper attribution.

“My blood pressure is rising today because of Harvard’s decision that what she did doesn’t constitute plagiarism, and it doesn’t rise to the level of her removal,” she said.

“My message to Harvard is: You don’t get to redefine what is plagiarism. Most of us know what plagiarism is,” she said.

“It is an insult to intelligence what Harvard University has done,” she said of the outrage also involving Gay’s congressional testimony on antisemitism at the school.

Carol Swain bio
There is no way that Harvard can possibly fire its Gay, black, woman president.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:42 pm There is no way that Harvard can possibly fire its Gay, black, woman president.
:lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:25 pm PLAGIARISM / “Inadequate Citation” :lol:

Carol Swain bio
Daily Signal and NY Post? Really?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:46 pm Daily Signal and NY Post? Really?
i intentionally balanced with The Globe.

since you brought it up .. :P
my biggest beef with ALL those articles is how CAROL SWAIN’s name is barely mentioned, she’s been around a long while, is more deserving than most of being a household name. irritating.

Gay’s name is in every headline; Swain = 0. Even in the articles featuring her!

add to that, she’s virtually ignored by the “more august” sources, always, not just wrt to C Gay.
the way conservative black academics+leaders are swept under the rug is a travesty.

yet, they do not appear rattled. they just continue on, even when simply flipping their positions could lead to both fame+fortune.
so, yes. i read “questionable” sources, and consider the mainstream no less questionable.

i admit, i’m specially impressed by black conservatives. they play a particular role in western culture. not an easy role.

hope that helps.
Last edited by temporal1 on Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

t1,

Would it be possible for you to avoid clickbait style stories that simply provide confirmation bias for views you already hold?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:08 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:46 pm Daily Signal and NY Post? Really?
i intentionally balanced with The Globe.

since you brought it up .. :P
my biggest beef with ALL those articles is how CAROL SWAIN’s name is barely mentioned, she’s been around a long while, is more deserving than most of being a household name. irritating.

Gay’s name is in every headline; Swain = 0. Even in the articles featuring her!

add to that, she’s virtually ignored by the “more august” sources, always, not just wrt to C Gay.
the way conservative black academics+leaders are swept under the rug is a travesty.

yet, they do not appear rattled. they just continue on, even when simply flipping their positions could lead to both fame+fortune.
so, yes. i read “questionable” sources, and consider the mainstream no less questionable.

i admit, i’m specially impressed by black conservatives. they play a particular role in western culture. not an easy role.

hope that helps.
This is a ridiculous take. Carol Swain retired from academia years ago and now makes her living doing endless appearances on FOX news and other right-wing media outlets to spout whatever is the latest conservative take on race relations, racism, and every other related topic. She is one of the least silenced people on the planet. I wouldn't be surprised if she makes over 100 television appearances per year.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:11 pm t1,

Would it be possible for you to avoid clickbait style stories that simply provide confirmation bias for views you already hold?
Her sources may not be to your liking but the fact that Gay plagiarized extensively on her very small academic output has been pretty well established.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church