Coronavirus Outbreak

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Coronavirus Outbreak

Post by Ken »

This is not entirely correct.

The notion of social distancing made very much scientific sense. The further you are away from someone the less likely they are to be able to infect you by breathing or coughing on you. Everyone inherently understands this. You are more likely to catch a disease from someone standing 6 inches in front of your face and coughing on you than you are if they are standing a football field away. That is simple mathematics.

The question is whether 6 ft was the ideal safe distance. And, of course, it isn't. Because there is no ideal distance. Any number you come up with is going to be a compromise. They had to come up with some sort of guidance and that was what they settled on. The CDC recommended 10 ft which the Trump Administration nixed and they wound up at 6 ft.

The real answer is that it depends on a long list of factors: indoors or outdoors, 10 second exposure or 2 hour exposure. Quality of air ventilation, filtration, and circulation, etc. etc. But you can't provide guidance to the public with some sort of huge decision-matrix. You have to give them something simple and universal.

Six feet along with public masking was probably as good of a recommendation as they could have made at that time. Even if it was a political compromise. A lot of public health is simply the art of the possible, not the art of the perfect. And it no doubt did reduce the spread of the disease, although it obviously didn't eliminate it. Back in early 2020 the strategy was basically to do what was possible to reduce the spread of the disease until a vaccine became available. And that was the correct strategy. To push back the peak of the disease as far as possible until vaccines could take over.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

They should have promoted building up your immune system instead. People are STILL uneducated about this importance preventative. I worked full time through the entire pandemic era of all those mandates totally exposed & in my job was impossible to social distance & did not get it. I scanned up to 300 customers a day, walked the grocery aisles working etc- but because I took the proper supplements I didn't catch it during that period
I was also considered age wise as a higher risk.
So they should have educated the public on how to boost your immune system.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Regarding building up your immune no e as system with supplements,:
During pandemic I boosted daily as I worked in about the worse case scenario for exposure. I never caught it during that time.
July of 2021 I had let my guard down & wasn't as diligent about supplementing- and sure enough I got COVID. I did not get vaccine- and was often leaving home to work without taking the vitamins that prevented me catching it during the worse time of it.

I have always supplemented but more faithfully during cold & flu season since I work in/with public in extremely busy drugstore/grocery & process sick people at the register constantly - in the over 9 years I've been there I have never caught colds or flu there or anywhere-
Our doctor laughs at our approach but he has to admit- we do not get sick.

The public would benefit more from education on boosting immune system than anything else I believe.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 pm They should have promoted building up your immune system instead. People are STILL uneducated about this importance preventative. I worked full time through the entire pandemic era of all those mandates totally exposed & in my job was impossible to social distance & did not get it. I scanned up to 300 customers a day, walked the grocery aisles working etc- but because I took the proper supplements I didn't catch it during that period
If you want to criticize social distancing and/or masking as not being scientifically supported, then you REALLY REALLY have to criticize the notion that taking supplements boosts your immune system and wards off viruses. There really isn't scientific support for the notion that supplements boost immune systems. At least beyond simple good nutrition and making sure you don't have vitamin and mineral deficiencies. For example: https://www.health.com/nutrition/vitami ... upplements or https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Immun ... fessional/

So if you want to criticize Fauci and the CDC for the 6 ft rule and masking then you REALLY REALLY have to criticize the unregulated supplements industry as not being scientifically supported.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:45 am
Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 pm They should have promoted building up your immune system instead. People are STILL uneducated about this importance preventative. I worked full time through the entire pandemic era of all those mandates totally exposed & in my job was impossible to social distance & did not get it. I scanned up to 300 customers a day, walked the grocery aisles working etc- but because I took the proper supplements I didn't catch it during that period
If you want to criticize social distancing and/or masking as not being scientifically supported, then you REALLY REALLY have to criticize the notion that taking supplements boosts your immune system and wards off viruses. There really isn't scientific support for the notion that supplements boost immune systems. At least beyond simple good nutrition and making sure you don't have vitamin and mineral deficiencies. For example: https://www.health.com/nutrition/vitami ... upplements or https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Immun ... fessional/

So if you want to criticize Fauci and the CDC for the 6 ft rule and masking then you REALLY REALLY have to criticize the unregulated supplements industry as not being scientifically supported.
I KNOW YOU don't put a lot of stock in it but there are doctors WHO DO and pharmacists as well (like one I just spoke with).

The old saying, the proof is in the pudding. My mother is also a perfect example. Will spare you details

My husband for first decades I knew him got sick about 3 x a year which led to antibiotics. We discovered a supplement that helps your Thymus gland so for the last 6 years he's been on it, it's changed his life. You yourself could compare his medical records. NO MORE colds or sinusitis he regularly got & his Dr. Cannot deny that-

I was facing knee issues where 11 years ago I was sure I was headed for replacement. PLUS you could hear my knees creak as I came downstairs (my hubby could hear them). I discovered a supplement in Amish country showing a before & after knee joint- which had good reviews. So I bought it and in a short amount of time no more creaking knees (bone on bone) nor difficulty (except on great occasion) and I'm thankful to have not needed surgery.

No one will ever convince us supplements don't work. My coworker just asked me to write down what we put in our daily smoothies and supplements as she's younger than me & tired of catching what goes around- they all observe I never catch things and about the oldest cashier. I think even during COVID the promotion of D3, zinc, C & Quercitin came out- maybe not from CDC as someone was going to benefit financially from vaccine

A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an argument. Argue away-
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Every doctor I’ve seen has asked me about supplements and quite a few recommended them.

My MD, who practices conventional medicine as part of a large hospital system, prescribed me Vitamin D2.

Another MD I see specifically for diet strongly recommended making sure to get enough diverse fresh foods to get a variety of micronutrients.

I haven’t heard a peep about Covid from any medical providers in the last year and a half. And that includes myself getting a surgery late last year, and my wife’s cousin being treated for cancer over the last 2 years. They don’t even bother with screening for it in pre surgical evaluation anymore. They’re more concerned about flus.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Valerie did not say that supplements ward off diseases. But a healthy immune system does a better job fighting viruses such as Covid. And it is a fact that supplements do aid the immune system.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... une-system
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 pm They should have promoted building up your immune system instead.
I'm for building up the immune system, and supplements and plenty of sun all over one's body are part of that.

However, I would suggest doing this in addition to the distance and masking recommendations, not doing it instead.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:54 am
Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 pm They should have promoted building up your immune system instead.
I'm for building up the immune system, and supplements and plenty of sun all over one's body are part of that.

However, I would suggest doing this in addition to the distance and masking recommendations, not doing it instead.
The distance recommendations have been shown to be 100% useless, so why do them at all?
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

LOL...and those who criticize supplements as a method to boost the immune system, are the same ones who supported the notion (lie) that an experimental vaccine will prevent someone from getting Covid.

A vaccine that made companies filthy rich. Probably far richer than many supplemental companies.

https://www.somo.nl/big-pharma-raked-in ... -vaccines/
https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/ ... influence/
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/31/the-cov ... llion.html
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/do ... 79_EN.html

Who can forget the President speaking a curse on those who didn't take the shot and pronouncing that, for the unvaccinated, there will be a winter of severe illness and death.

How many times did the vaccinated and boosted to the hilt, President, have Covid? I am sure more times than Valerie, who chose to take supplements and didn't get the vaccine.
Last edited by Grace on Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x