Birth Rates and Immigration

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Birth Rates and Immigration

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:31 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:52 pm My point would be, to do both.
A reasonable policy view (and one the majority of Americans now agree with). Rather interesting when I find myself to the left of you... it just shows how much public opinion has changed on this matter.
I am not necessarily advocating for their deportation. But they would have to do what is necessary to regularize their status. For long term ones that are employed, i would suggest fines and community service. But if they are people we really don’t want here, with a criminal record, or long term dependence on government services, than they need to be sent home. We should be able to pick and choose who comes here.

Ever hear of Ellis island? Only a very small percentage of people were denied entry, and first and second class passengers were not even sent there, they were processed aboard their ship. My great grandfather was one of those, he arrived in Baltimore on a sec class ticket,and had training as what we would now call a civil engineer. But we did reject those that the government of the time thought undesirable. I am in favor of immigration. It just needs be done in an orderly manner, with entry given to most who apply and meet some sort of criteria. In the days of Ellis island, it was twenty dollars, or in lieu of that family already here.

BTW, I think I know the rest of th,e story about the Mennonite farmers that had an unfortunate experience in Kansas. If I recall correctly, the newspapers of the time considered them highly desirable immigrants, for they were skilled farmers.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Birth Rates and Immigration

Post by Josh »

The BLS's inflation calculator doesn't go back farther than 1912; 1907 was Ellis Island's heyday. That $20 would be somewhere between $600 and $1000 today.

Of note is that the migrants all entered in, well, a designated port of entry, not sneaking across the southern border. They weren't making false asylum claims. And, yes, some were turned away.

Ultimately, what we are actually looking at is that the migrants flooding the border are actually the ones with money and resources. One of the illegal aliens in the NYT article reported borrowing $8000 to make the trek here. That's a lot of money. It doesn't make any sense at all to admit relatively wealthy migrants who still refuse to follow the proper immigration channels. (Migrating to the U.S. is not even necessarily that hard; I wonder if some of these migrants even tried. It's just that you can't go in with $8000 cash and bribe a U.S. foreign service officer, as is the norm in other places.)
0 x