Criminal background as a barrier to employment

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Criminal background as a barrier to employment

Post by Josh »

Some federal laws preempt local laws. Drug laws and firearm laws are good examples of them.

Legally speaking, it is a long standing principle in common law that it is reasonable to expect another person to comply with the law. In this case, state law conflicts with federal law. I would be surprised to see this survive any kind of legal challenge.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:03 pm Some federal laws preempt local laws. Drug laws and firearm laws are good examples of them.

Legally speaking, it is a long standing principle in common law that it is reasonable to expect another person to comply with the law. In this case, state law conflicts with federal law. I would be surprised to see this survive any kind of legal challenge.
Cannabis is now legal in some form in 24 states.

Tell us how many Federal arrests and prosecutions there have been for simple cannabis possession or use since it has been legalized in any of those states? Let's extend it back for a decade to 2014 when the Rohrabacher–Farr amendment was passed. Do you know the answer? Can you make an educated guess?

And then explain to us how the Federal government is currently pre-empting state laws when it comes to cannabis possession and use.

I think you will be waiting for a very long time if you expect the Federal government or courts to challenge or overturn Washington's new law. I would venture to say that it is never going to happen.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Once again, I think I should have the right not to employ people who choose to abuse drugs (whether alcohol, tobacco, meth, prescription drugs, weed and so forth).

It is a truly sad day when drugs are forced on us.
1 x