Good things about migration

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Good things about migration

Post by Szdfan »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:34 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:32 pm And like Henry John Heinz, founder of a failed horseradish company...
In heinzsight, maybe he shouldn't have been on the list.
I was unaware of the deep sense of grievance towards the inventor of Ketchup. I'm still not sure what this is about.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Szdfan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:49 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:32 pm And like Henry John Heinz, founder of a failed horseradish company...
I was unaware of the deep sense of grievance towards the inventor of Ketchup. I'm still not sure what this is about.
The point is that Ketchup should never have migrated. It should stay in China where it came from.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Are you aware that Henry John Heinz was not an immigrant, but was born and raised in Pennsylvania?
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:46 am
Are you aware that Henry John Heinz was not an immigrant, but was born and raised in Pennsylvania?
That was a mistake on my part. I took his name off a list of immigrant inventors. Heinz was born in PA, but his parents were immigrants from Bavaria and interestingly, he was related to the Trump family on his mother's side.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Szdfan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:51 am
That was a mistake on my part. I took his name off a list of immigrant inventors. Heinz was born in PA, but his parents were immigrants from Bavaria and interestingly, he was related to the Trump family on his mother's side.
Our the Drumpft family, as it was apparently spelled back then. :mrgreen:
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:05 am
The point is that Ketchup should never have migrated. It should stay in China where it came from.
It is all part of the plot by Big Tomato.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Szdfan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:51 am
It's good you took his name off, as it didn't belong on the list! :hug:
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Migration has been a central part of the human experience going all the way back to Genesis or the Paleolithic if you will.

I've been doing a geology project with my one of my daughters using ancestry.com and we are finding that on my side most of our ancestors were Swiss, German, and French migrants from the Palatinate who immigrated to PA between the 1730s and 1760s give or take. We also have a couple of English and Scottish roots who came to Maryland in the 1600s and our namesake ancestor came to PA in the early 1800s to escape the Napoleonic wars after having been impressed into BOTH the French and Russian armies at various times. He had apparently had enough. On my wife's side it is mostly Spanish migrants from Galicia, Catalonia and the Basque country of northern Spain who settled in Chile during the 1700s with a few more recent German immigrants who migrated to Chile in the 1800s.

I expect everyone here has similarly complex roots.

I would also point out that national boundaries are inherently artificial constructs and not even particularly Christian. In fact, Christianity is pretty much the first multi-ethnic and multinational religion that ignored ethnic and national boundaries.

As for the good things about migration? I would simply point out that there are two inherent forces that cause migration. The "push" forces and the "pull" forces if you will. I would tend to view the "pull" forces as generally good. Countries need new blood and new talent and migrants bring those things where they are needed. The United States is a VASTLY wealthier and more productive country due to migration. In virtually every way.

The "push" forces are more negative. Those are the wars, famines, overpopulation, and other crises that tend to push people out of their homes. Getting a handle on out-of-control mass migration is largely going to be an international project to address the "push" forces that are generating mass migration in the first place. Wars, droughts, climate change, overpopulation, etc. etc. Nothing will really change and the situation will only exacerbate unless we collectively do more to address those issues.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Well, I worked 37 years for the H.J. Heinz Company and have 22 years of retirement on a generous pension plan so I'm glad the company expanded to Canada and this excellent ketchup is still being manufactured here in Leamington, Ontario. Many migrant workers have been and still are employed in the tomato harvest each year. We have truly been blessed to have the weather and land and workers to provide ketchup and many other food products here. The company is now owned by 'Kraft Heinz Canada' and called 'Highbury Canco'.

And interesting statement on it's history - Ketchup has a surprisingly long evolution that originated in China. The first version was based on pickled fish and looked more like a soy sauce – with a dark and thin texture. It was called “keh-jup” or “koe-cheup,” meaning “fish sauce.”

You won't find any fish connection in the current product here. :clap:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:38 pm
Well, I worked 37 years for the H.J. Heinz Company and have 22 years of retirement on a generous pension plan so I'm glad the company expanded to Canada and this excellent ketchup is still being manufactured here in Leamington, Ontario. Many migrant workers have been and still are employed in the tomato harvest each year. We have truly been blessed to have the weather and land and workers to provide ketchup and many other food products here. The company is now owned by 'Kraft Heinz Canada' and called 'Highbury Canco'.

And interesting statement on it's history - Ketchup has a surprisingly long evolution that originated in China. The first version was based on pickled fish and looked more like a soy sauce – with a dark and thin texture. It was called “keh-jup” or “koe-cheup,” meaning “fish sauce.”

You won't find any fish connection in the current product here. :clap:
In a thread for "Good things about migration", the good thing is that Big Tomato benefits from migration, and tomato products displaced the fish? :shock: 8-)
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Big Tomato has a representative on Mennonet.
0 x