Good things about migration

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Good things about migration

Post by Szdfan »

Immigrants sometimes bring innovation to their host countries. According to [https://hbr.org/2017/04/research-immigr ... innovation]this study in the Harvard Business Review[/url], immigrants to the US made up 19.6% of all inventors in the US. Today, it's about 30%. It's arguable that immigrants and refugees have played a significant role in American innovation --

A partial list of immigrants to the US who invented and innovated things --
  • Alexander Graham Bell (Scotland)
  • Nikolai Tesla (Serbia)
  • Irving Berlin (Russia)
  • Albert Einstein (Germany)
  • Philip Emeagwali (Nigeria) - developed the use of microprocessors to power the Internet
  • Sergey Brin (Russia) founder of Google
  • Adolph Levitt (Russia) inventor of the doughnut
  • David Lindquist (Sweden) - the elevator
  • James Hillier (Canada), Ladislaus Marton (Belgium) and Vladimir Zworykin (Russia) helped develop the first commercially viable radio microscope
  • Jacob Davis (Lithuania) and Levi Strauss (Germany) invented blue jeans
  • Louis Lassen (Denmark) - the Hamburger
  • Steve Job's father was a refugee from Syria
  • Charles Feltman (Germany) - the hot dog
  • Jawed Karim (Germany) and Steven Chen (Taiwan) - YouTube
  • Henry John Heinz (German) - Ketchup
  • Gene Simmons (Israel)
  • Eddie Van Halen (The Netherlands)
  • John Augustus Röbling (Germany) designer of the Brooklyn Bridge
  • Louis-Joseph Chevrolet (Switzerland)
  • William Colgate (England) - toothpaste
  • James Hoban (Ireland) - designer of the White House
  • Viktor Grünbaum (Austria) - The shopping mall
  • Mario Molina (Mexico) Nobel prize-winning chemist
  • Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar (India) Nobel prize-winning physicist
  • Andrew Grove (Hungary) - helped found Intel
  • Amar Bose - born into an immigrant family from India - founder of Bose
  • Hassan Kamel Al-Sabbah ( Lebanon) - televisions and LCD screens
  • Michael DeBakey - born to Lebanese immigrants - developed MASH units as well as surgery techniques and telehealth
  • Taher Elgamal (Egypt) - logarithms for Internet security
  • Heddy Lamarr (Austria) - radio-frequency "hopping," a precursor to Wi-Fi.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Henry John Heinz. I thought you were trying to make the case for immigrants, not the case against them.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:00 pm Henry John Heinz. I thought you were trying to make the case for immigrants, not the case against them.
What did you you think he meant by partial list if not that only a part of the list is immigrants?
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:00 pm Henry John Heinz. I thought you were trying to make the case for immigrants, not the case against them.
Lol. Regardless of what you think about the Heinz varieties he's arguably has had significant impact on the culinary impact of America.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:21 pm
What did you you think he meant by partial list if not that only a part of the list is immigrants?
They're mostly immigrants. A couple of them are children of immigrants, like Steve Jobs, whose father was a refugee from Syria.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:27 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:21 pm
They're mostly immigrants. A couple of them are children of immigrants, like Steve Jobs, whose father was a refugee from Syria.
And like Henry John Heinz, founder of a failed horseradish company...
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:48 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:34 pm 3. For Abraham and Isaac, migration was a way to build faith. (People who stay at the same place often lose faith due to complacency.)
Care to expound?
Abraham could have stayed in Ur, where life was more predictable. But leaving Ur, living in tents, and becoming a Nomad had something to do with faith and dependence on God. God warned the Israelites to not forget him when they moved into more permanent housing. I think the same concern is just as applicable today as in Old Testament times. I think a lot of Anabaptists are "forgetting God", and might not forget Him if their living/lifestyle was less "permanent".
It is hard to find many people who are willing to "forsake all" like Abraham and move to a strange place, even when they have maps, google maps, and satellite views of the place they will move to. Imagine moving somewhere with none of this.
Last edited by Ernie on Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:32 pm And like Henry John Heinz, founder of a failed horseradish company...
In heinzsight, maybe he shouldn't have been on the list.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:32 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:48 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:34 pm 3. For Abraham and Isaac, migration was a way to build faith. (People who stay at the same place often lose faith due to complacency.)
Care to expound?
Abraham could have stayed in Ur, where life was more predictable. But leaving Ur, living in tents, and becoming a Nomad had something to do with faith and dependence on God. God warned the Israelites to not forget him when they moved into more permanent housing. I think the same concern is just as applicable today as in Old Testament times. I think a lot of Anabaptists are "forgetting God", and might not forget Him if their living/lifestyle was less "permanent".
It is hard to find many people who are willing to "forsake all" like Abraham and move to a strange place, even when they have maps, google maps, and satellite views of the place they will move to. Imagine moving somewhere with none of this.
Wilderness and wandering in the wilderness are significant themes in the Bible. The wilderness is a place of hardship, but also a place of significant spiritual growth. The Hebrews experienced a number of significant migrations (such as the escape from slavery in Egypt) as well as exile in a foreign kingdom. God's presence and work during these times played a foundational part of the Hebrew's identity ("I am the LORD your God who brought you out of Egypt"). It's a reason why the Hebrews were commanded to treat the foreiners or aliens among them well, because they also experienced being the foreigner.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Last I checked, NYC and Chicago aren’t wildernesses, although they may feel like a spiritual wilderness.
0 x