Parents outraged

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Parents outraged

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:17 am It’s fairly obvious. They stood up against blacks... Then they stood against homosexuality, now they stand against transgender.
While there’s nothing wrong with being black, mixed marriages or being with blacks, that was the culture of war of the time. Certainly it was wrong to discriminate, and it still is wrong.
The issue against homosexuality has mostly been put on the sidelines, The more conservative of the evangelical churches still stand against it, but almost all churches out there are perfectly fine with blacks and eventually homosexuality will be the same. Again divorce and remarriage was the same way, abortion was the same way… this new issue of transgender‘s is the newest culture war. Christianity on a large scale is not truly following Christ. It is obvious that they will compromise here too.
If we follow Christ without compromise, I think that means:

1. Standing up for Christians who are black. Standing against hatred and injustice and persecution for anyone.
2. Calling on all Christians to follow Jesus.
3. Realizing that we are strangers and aliens in this world.
4. Proclaiming the Kingdom of God. Demonstrating the Kingdom of God in our own lives.

For our own children, I think it's important to know where there are dangers. I suspect the Internet and public schools are both places where parents need to be alert.

But I think that society around us is fully embracing both transgender and homosexuality. I don't think we can reverse that with outrage. If all they see is our outrage, they will see us as outraged people who are against them. They will not see Jesus in our outrage.

If Jesus saw religious people stoning a transgender person, I think he would step in the same way he did with the woman caught in adultery. Not because adultery is right or because transgender is right. Because that is who Jesus is.

How do we get better at witnessing to the Kingdom of God in the same way Jesus did? How do we express deep passion for what is good, while avoiding what is wrong? How do we do better at witnessing to God's design in creation in a loving way?
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Grace

Post by Grace »

The real question is who are you following? The drum beats of hate? Or Jesus? The test of time will show.
I believe true hate is NOT pointing out sin and the need for repentance from that sin. It is NOT pointing to Jesus as the path to righteousness, instead of a path of sin. And that person is sent to eternal damnation.

LGTBQ people need to be loved, respected, and not hated, which can be done without accepting their sin. They need to see Jesus in us.
Last edited by Grace on Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:48 am
If we follow Christ without compromise, I think that means:

1. Standing up for Christians who are black. Standing against hatred and injustice and persecution for anyone.
2. Calling on all Christians to follow Jesus.
3. Realizing that we are strangers and aliens in this world.
4. Proclaiming the Kingdom of God. Demonstrating the Kingdom of God in our own lives.

For our own children, I think it's important to know where there are dangers. I suspect the Internet and public schools are both places where parents need to be alert.

But I think that society around us is fully embracing both transgender and homosexuality. I don't think we can reverse that with outrage. If all they see is our outrage, they will see us as outraged people who are against them. They will not see Jesus in our outrage.

If Jesus saw religious people stoning a transgender person, I think he would step in the same way he did with the woman caught in adultery. Not because adultery is right or because transgender is right. Because that is who Jesus is.

How do we get better at witnessing to the Kingdom of God in the same way Jesus did? How do we express deep passion for what is good, while avoiding what is wrong? How do we do better at witnessing to God's design in creation in a loving way?
For once we agree. Well said and good questions.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Grace wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:11 am
The real question is who are you following? The drum beats of hate? Or Jesus? The test of time will show.
I believe true hate is NOT pointing out sin and the need for repentance from that sin. It is NOT pointing to Jesus as the path to righteousness, instead of a path of sin. And that person is sent to eternal damnation.

LGTBQ people need to be loved and respected, which can be done without accepting their sin. And not protecting the young women who are treated unfairly and inappropriately by biological males who pose as women, what is that. I would say it is a subtle form of disrespect and hate for the women.
Yes. That’s why we see people here saying how horrible they are rather then telling them Jesus loves them and is waiting for them to repent of the choices they are making leading to destruction.
I don’t see compassion and a desire to lead them to Jesus. I see, how can we criminalize them and shun them to shut them away from society.
While I agree that they should not be in the bathrooms, perhaps constantly talking about the evil is distracting from our purpose here.
I believe many transgender people are deeply confused and have serious mental health problems. There are also some people who are not confused, but have made wicked choices.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

I invited a gay family member of mine to our churches Christmas hymn sing. They said they wouldn’t be comfortable as they understand their lifestyle is not accepted and that organized religion is about convincing others of their belief.

I just simply shared that I have no desire to be part of something because others are wrong. Rather I want to be part of something that has love and good to share - and then share it. Not that I have it all figured out and that others do not.

They said they don’t believe the rest of Christianity is this way but was willing to come and was grateful that I respected free choice (they do know that I don’t accept their choice as right but respect they have free choice).

I think consistent sharing of God’s love doesn’t try to over power. It respects free choice - even when our hearts are grieved because of the children you see confused because of these choices. It gives room for the Spirit to work.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:20 am
Ken wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:44 pm

Yes, we used to do that back in the good old days before "wokeness" ruined things.

In 1959, nineteen year old David Isom swam at a public pool in Florida where the clerk at the entrance and white lifeguard accommodated him in violation of the segregation laws in Florida at that time. When word got out the facility manager closed and cleared the facility, drained all the water, had it scrubbed and refilled and re-chlorinated the pool under the direction of the city manager This is David Isom below

A decade earlier attempts by black youth to swim in a "whites only" public pool in Saint Louis sparked an angry race riot and beatings by police

The better treatment of blacks came long before the new mantra of wokeness came on the scene.

In comparing the biological males competing in women's sports, sharing young women's locker rooms, showers, and restrooms, with how blacks were treated years ago, are you saying it is okay for biological men to engage in these activities? Do you think it is be okay for a strong 6ft. male who still has male body parts, share a locker room, shower, or restroom with young woman, who are smaller and not as strong? Is it okay for biological males to take away scholarships from young women, who worked hard in their sport.

It is true that black people were treated horribly in the past, and it was unconscionable. But no one is suggesting anything be done to biological men, who now claim to be women, to be treated the same way as the black people in the past. The black people could not control their skin color and them being treated horribly had nothing to do with their actions or behavior, just their skin color. Biological men who now claim to be women, have full control of their choices, actions and behavior. Vastly different from black people and their skin color, which they have no control over.

Making comparisons between the two isn't remotely relevant to this subject. They are two completely different issues.
Personally I think there are very real issues of fairness in competitive sport related to performance enhancing drugs of which testosterone is one (there are many others). And that if we don't allow biological women to dope with testosterone like the East Germans used to do, then we shouldn't allow competitors who do so naturally either. So if I were in charge of the rules for various competitive sports I wouldn't allow competitors who currently have testosterone levels above accepted parameters for women and who didn't develop male musculature and bone structure during puberty under the influence of male testosterone levels. I'm talking specifically about competitive sport so from HS varsity sports up through the NCAA and into national, international and Olympic type competition. So basketball players, sprinters, swimmers, etc. who developed male musculature and bone structure through puberty under male levels of testosterone shouldn't be playing in competitive NCAA sports. But recreational sports are fine (intramurals, YMCA leagues, etc.). I think that is a fair accommodation and the price one has to pay if one is trans. Few people in this country actually participate in competitive level sport anyway. Those are my own views, but I'm not in charge of anything.

For recreational sport (I coached recreational girls soccer for 12 years) I don't think there is any real issue, especially for youth. I think all kids should be welcome to play recreational sports. All sports have rules of conduct. You can't use your size or strength to trip, block, or foul someone else in soccer. You will get yellow and red cards and get tossed out. If there are issues with aggressive play they can be dealt with within the game. People who don't want some 10 year old trans kid playing on a recreational soccer team are just being bigoted. There are no competitive issues since there isn't competition, it is just recreation. And if you haven't been involved in youth sport you may not realize this, but there are very clear and bright lines between recreational and competitive youth sports. Recreational team rosters, for example, are just assigned through random lottery and have equal playing time rules so as a coach you don't pick your players and give all your kids equal paying time regardless of how good or bad they are. Competitive teams select and recruit their players and design their rosters and playing time around winning. They have paid coaches, competitive facilities. And there are local, regional, state, and national levels of competition that one works up through.

Locker rooms can be dealt with on a case by case basis with some common sense and good will. We are mostly talking about swimming since most other recreational sport doesn't involve locker rooms. In 12 years of coaching youth soccer there was never once a single locker room involved and most recreational playing fields just have porta potties or the like. And schools can figure out how to accommodate this sort of thing. Just put in a separate private changing room/bathroom for trans kids if necessary for PE, etc. If people think it is important they can pay the tax dollars to build such facilities. If not then let people figure it out locally with a little common sense.

I do think there is enormous bigotry around this issue on the right that is absolutely no different from the bigoty that drove segregation and things like shutting down most of the public pools across the entire American south rather than to integrate them. Yes, that happened. White folks in the south wanted NO pools rather than integrated ones and literally thousands of large fabulous pools and aquatic centers were shut down in this country rather than to allow a single black citizen to use them. We are seeing the same exact thing today with attempts to exclude trans people from any sort of public life. And in that category I would include the rash of new laws outlawing trans minors across the south and all the hysteria about bathrooms and locker rooms.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:32 am
MaxPC wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:19 am
RZehr wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:56 pm 50 year old perverted troublemaker.
Our parents and as parents ourselves, we never allowed our children to go to public changing or restrooms alone. Sexual predators have always been a problem and it was better to be cautious than to expose children to such behaviors needlessly. Now society allows these behaviors freely as wolves among the lambs.
Max, that is not how life was in the 1950s. My parents and grandparents never worried about things like restrooms or locker rooms. The modern paranoia about this didn’t set root until well into the 1980s.
The human race has always had sexual predators. Whether people were aware of it or simply did not talk about is another matter entirely. Public lavatories, dunnies, backrooms, whatever it is called culturally have been the favorite hunting grounds of sexual predators, as have the dressing rooms. Most of the older generations did not discuss these shameful things. Unfortunately that choice left many in the next generations unprepared and naive about such matters. That said, those parents on the forum now have information to take measures to protect their children. Clearly the culture and governments will not.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Example:
RZehr wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:56 pm 50 year old perverted troublemaker.
i believe it’s a big mistake to take an honest, brief statement, like this one, or multitudes others, then take a great leap to presume this is hate, that it removes Jesus, or anything else. Yet, this is the routine response on the internet.

i have 100% confidence RZehr was referring to the sin, and would be amongst the best of any of us to respond to the sinner.

It’s just too easy to jump to conclusions - a bipartisan problem.

i’m using RZehr ONLY as an example for every response in this topic.

- - - - - - -

Too many trusted too much for too long (i believe is FACT). [Asleep at the wheel.]

At this point, TOP-DOWN, White House-down, throughout law, carnal sin is being protected+promoted, FUNDED, taught, etc.,
as most could have never imagined in the recent past.

The problem is ‘way beyond some innocuous nut-job getting away with some isolated non-issue.

Evil has acquired law degrees, and He knows how to use them. [No sleeping: 1Thess 5:6]
Evil is ace at using ugly guilt-trips to get its way. He’s had too much success.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

You do realize that there is a lot of scholarship that has come to the conclusion that Dietrich Bonhoeffer was very likely gay? Don't believe me, look it up.

Yet here you are quoting Dietrich Bonhoeffer in a thread to stir up moral outrage about the simple existence of LGBT people.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr