Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Post by Josh »

Dan Z wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:06 pmWhat is behind the narratives that are so compelling that they move otherwise reasonable people to embrace (or at least defend) the use of violence against their fellow citizens? How do (well-meaning?) hooligan vandals on a Kenosha street at 1 AM become "the voice of the unheard,"
Dan,

Do you really think the rioters in Kenosha were well-meaning?

The people Rittenhouse killed included a convicted pedophile and a convicted domestic abuser.

Why are such people who are rioting, setting fires, and destroying property of innocent people considered "well meaning"?
or how does a (well-meaning?) 17-year old kid with a G-I Joe fantasy become a defender of liberty? We're in the midst of an epistemological meltdown. As a society, we are not handling the information age well - and that makes us all vulnerable to exploitation.
Do you have any proof he had a "G I Joe" fantasy? He'd spent the day before the riots helping clean up and paint over graffiti that past rioters had left in Kenosha.

Ultimately, I think it's acceptable for citizens to defend themselves, their communities, and their property against violent rioters.

Rittenhouse's conflict with the rioters started when he tried to put out a fire in a dumpster. Do you think it's wrong to put out fires?
4 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:41 pm
I think he was young and misguided and probably spent too much time online reading the rantings of various older armchair warriors who were nowhere near Kenosha and never left their computers.

As for “understanding the mindset”. Probably half my family has the same mindset. I understand it perfectly.
This is my opinion on the matter. I didn't follow this trial on a daily basis. But it sounds like he thought he was doing the right thing. I also understand he had some EMT training or at least first aid. I also think he was enrolled in a Junior Police type program as well.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:51 am
Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:28 am So in my mind, situations like this should raise a bigger question for those who are part of the kingdoms of this world. "What kind of country do they want to live in?" A country that allows riots and open carrying of firearms in public places by normal citizens? (carrying firearms to neutralize threats)
If yes, then this is what they can expect to see more of in their country.

If this is not what they want, then they can work towards making the necessary adjustments. In a democracy, these adjustments will only happen if a majority of the people can agree on making the adjustments. Otherwise the country will continue to descend into lawlessness until some "dictator" comes along and restores order.
These are fine platitudes but consequently, by dint of the fact that they're platitudes, quite vague. What are those 'necessary adjustments' you might suggest?
Understand that this is what I think those who are part of the kingdoms of this world should do. I do not recommend this for followers of Jesus.

On the political/government side...
1. Work together across the aisle to hire police chiefs who have good character.
2. Work together across the aisle to condemn and prosecute violence and destruction of property no matter where it happens. Don't justify certain kinds of violence and destruction.
3. Hire police and national guard soldiers who have good character (and not ones who will use their training and position to harm others)

On the societal level...
4. Communities could work together to build strong families.
5. Communities could work together to build character in their children and youth.
6. Communities could work together at honoring and valuing the ten commandments and other similar principles that benefit a society.
7. Learn to enjoy interacting with people of a different race, a different culture, and a different mindset.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:46 pm
I think he was young and misguided and probably spent too much time online reading the rantings of various older armchair warriors who were nowhere near Kenosha and never left their computers.

As for “understanding the mindset”. Probably half my family has the same mindset. I understand it perfectly.
This is my opinion on the matter. I didn't follow this trial on a daily basis. But it sounds like he thought he was doing the right thing. I also understand he had some EMT training or at least first aid. I also think he was enrolled in a Junior Police type program as well.
The school I teach at has a Marine Jr ROTC program. That means they go out and run obstacle courses, learn close-order parade drills with toy guns, learn to stand at attention, and carry the colors into the stadium during football games. It doesn’t mean they are actual marines who are ready for Afghanistan. The military sponsors that sort of thing mostly for recruiting I think.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:34 am How many rounds of ammo was he carrying then?
In court, they only referenced the ammo in the gun. He did not seem to have extra past what was in the magazine.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I think it was a Jr Firefighter program, not a Police program.

Kyle is a local to Kenosha and knew quite well the damage and riots, thus his cleaning off graffiti. He walked around earlier in the evening offering first aid to the protesters. The protestors left and the violent anti-societial persons came out and started destroying property, as they had done the past two nights. They were using the excuse of the Blake shooting to burn and destroy. Most of the late night rioters were affluent white young people. Those who really were bothered by the shooting of Blake had left by midnight.

This is why the three who got shot were all people who have long rap sheets and were known troublemakers. This is why many of them were armed, illegally.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

Nice. BLM throws their support behind a man that a****y raped children. We are only one or two notches away from similar sentiments on this forum.

0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
ragpicker

Post by ragpicker »

Looks like BLM is engaging in their Satanic rituals to support a domestic violence perpetuator too.

0 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:24 pm

I think it was a Jr Firefighter program, not a Police program.

Kyle is a local to Kenosha and knew quite well the damage and riots, thus his cleaning off graffiti. He walked around earlier in the evening offering first aid to the protesters. The protestors left and the violent anti-societial persons came out and started destroying property, as they had done the past two nights. They were using the excuse of the Blake shooting to burn and destroy. Most of the late night rioters were affluent white young people. Those who really were bothered by the shooting of Blake had left by midnight.

This is why the three who got shot were all people who have long rap sheets and were known troublemakers. This is why many of them were armed, illegally.
This is my biggest criticism of the legitimate BLM and social justice protestors. They too easily let their movement get hijacked by the violent chaos anarchist types as well as outright criminal looters and arsonists and such.

The need to be more astute about their movement and activism which means doing things like holding protests during the day, not night, holding them in places like parks and open spaces not downtown streets where there are windows to break and such. But of course no one is looking to me for advice. But it is certainly killing their movement and momentum that so much violence and destruction has accompanied it. Their support and popularity has plummeted since the summer of 2020.

Here in the Portland area there are a cadre of violent anarchist types who seem to have collected here who will show up to pretty much any protest event regardless of the cause just to gleefully create chaos and damage. They know all the right slogans to shout to make it see like they are legit protestors. But they are not. They are just criminal anarchists. It doesn't matter what the protest is about. The same folks will show up to hijack it, especially anything that happens at night.

Honestly the police need to be a lot more forceful about catching them and locking them up. When the are all masked up to try to be anonymous, the police should use things like permanent ink paint guns to mark them so you can ID and round them up later, etc.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ragpicker

Post by ragpicker »

BLM = Communist agitators.
BLM = Satanic rituals.
BLM = Anti-family

When you understand WHO they are, you will understand that they’re not innocent activists whose movement got hijacked by some bad dudes.

BLM is the bad dudes!

PS. The idea that violent anarchist showed up and hijacked the BLM protest in Portland is rubbish. In fact, the BLM types craftily provided cover for the anarchists. The coordination was brilliant and devious.

One of my best friends spent a fair amount of time on the front lines observing and reporting to me privately. He would put me on live to watch what was going on. Of course, I combined what I saw through his eyes and camera with a lot of other unfiltered reportage to form my opinions.
2 x
Embrace the lonely road.