College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: College Turmoil

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:01 am I agree Bill Ackerman is being highly hypocritical and his wife has committed plagiarism; it was in actual academic papers and she keeps citing her credentials over the past few years.

Now, I know someone who keeps getting fired from jobs. How can he get a job where he can get a $900,000 salary, fake everything, then get fired and keep his $900,000 salary? It is interesting how Ms Gay has somehow managed to be “indirectly” and literally collect almost a million dollars a year for doing nothing.
Ms. Gay works for a private organization of which I have no connection or particular interest so I don't much care what she is paid or what her position is. There are no doubt large numbers of overpaid administrators at Harvard.

Justice Gorsuch, on the other hand is paid by us, the taxpayers, to be above reproach. So there is a higher standard.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:28 am Ms. Gay works for a private organization of which I have no connection or particular interest so I don't much care what she is paid or what her position is. There are no doubt large numbers of overpaid administrators at Harvard.
That's why I said I'm interested in finding private organisations you can work for where you get hired, but can still keep collecting a $900,000 salary.
Justice Gorsuch, on the other hand is paid by us, the taxpayers, to be above reproach. So there is a higher standard.
Held to what standard? He's not a professor or a university President. There isn't any evidence he committed academic plagiarism, nor that he did anything illegal.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:37 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:13 am What do they say about people who live in glass house? https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ac ... ism-2024-1
Billionaire hedge fund manager and major Harvard donor Bill Ackman seized on revelations that Harvard president Claudine Gay had plagiarized some passages in her academic work to underscore his calls for her removal following what he perceived as her mishandling of large protests against Israel’s bombardment of Gaza on Harvard’s campus.

An analysis by Business Insider found a similar pattern of plagiarism by Ackman’s wife Neri Oxman, who became a tenured professor at MIT in 2017.

Oxman plagiarized multiple paragraphs of her 2010 doctoral dissertation, Business Insider found, including at least one passage directly lifted from other writers without citation.

Her husband Ackman has taken a hardline stance on plagiarism. On Wednesday, responding to news that Gay will remain a part of Harvard’s faculty after she resigned as president, he wrote on X that Gay should be fired completely due to “serious plagiarism issues.”
And it isn't just academia. There are members of the Supreme Court who should be resigning in shame as well: https://www.newsweek.com/neil-gorsuch-p ... ote-579728

I will assume the blue part is what is in question. The rest is footnoted. Possible both authors used the same source, therefore the similarities in the non blue sections. That description is not one unique to that paper, if someone asked me to describe that condition, I would say the exact thing, so would anyone else who has had any sort of medical education.

This is the trouble with AI based plagiarism detection, it finds plagiarism that really is not there.
The similarity in the order of the footnoted sections is possibly a problem?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:55 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:13 am What do they say about people who live in glass house? https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ac ... ism-2024-1

And it isn't just academia. There are members of the Supreme Court who should be resigning in shame as well: https://www.newsweek.com/neil-gorsuch-p ... ote-579728

I will assume the blue part is what is in question. The rest is footnoted. Possible both authors used the same source, therefore the similarities in the non blue sections. That description is not one unique to that paper, if someone asked me to describe that condition, I would say the exact thing, so would anyone else who has had any sort of medical education.

This is the trouble with AI based plagiarism detection, it finds plagiarism that really is not there.
The standards for what constitutes plagiarism are essentially the same in both academia and law.

Copying whole paragraphs one after the other and simply changing a word or two here and there is still plagiarism. The correct way to have done it would either be (1) rewrite the entire passage in your own words and then attribute the ideas to the original author in a footnote or endnote, or (2) quote the original author in quotation marks or a block quote.

The vast quantity of academic and legal writing out there in libraries was written long before computers using AI could scan and index whole texts and compare them to all other published texts to find passages of similarity. So I would guess that there are probably hundreds of thousands of relatively minor cases of plagiarism out there waiting to be discovered, most of which are nothing more than sloppiness or laziness. I'm probably lucky that my two academic theses from 1986 and 1994 are gathering dust in the academic towers of my old universities and are not likely to ever be digitized. But then no one would ever look anyway since I'm not ever going to be a university president or supreme court justice.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:38 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:28 am Justice Gorsuch, on the other hand is paid by us, the taxpayers, to be above reproach. So there is a higher standard.
Held to what standard? He's not a professor or a university President. There isn't any evidence he committed academic plagiarism, nor that he did anything illegal.
There used to be a general consensus that plagiarism is serious enough to derail someone's ambitions for office.[1] It doesn't seem to be taken quite so seriously these days unless it becomes news fodder.

[1] Biden, 1987.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:11 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:38 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:28 am Justice Gorsuch, on the other hand is paid by us, the taxpayers, to be above reproach. So there is a higher standard.
There used to be a general consensus that plagiarism is serious enough to derail someone's ambitions for office.[1] It doesn't seem to be taken quite so seriously these days unless it becomes news fodder.

[1] Biden, 1987.
Universities have created something of a bind for themselves because they want to enforce very hard and rigid standards for plagiarism for student work and impose academic sanctions for any students caught plagiarizing term papers and the like. But for big wigs (college presidents, supreme court justices, presidential candidates, etc.) they seem to want a second softer standard of "bygones..."

It is kind of hypocritical for sure. Expel or sanction some 18 year old undergrad in college for plagiarizing a term paper but look the other way when rich and powerful people do the same thing.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Maybe AI assisted plagiarism searches are the new form of cancel culture, which was until recently considered a negative development. A possible exception might be academic institutions where words are the primary products.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:55 am

I would be reluctant to say that was plagiarized, it simply followed a logical flow that the topic would suggest.

If you were to get three authors to write on the same subject, there will be similarities in their output, especially if they trained in the same instutions by the same people. Approach may look like they copied, but in actuality it is merely a result of what they were exposed to and by whom. When I write I footnote profusely, it is a result of training.
0 x
:hug: