1200 Pizza Hut delivery drivers losing jobs due to CA minimum wage increase

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: 1200 Pizza Hut delivery drivers losing jobs due to CA minimum wage increase

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:43 am It is amazing the luxuries our society can afford.
It's not just North American society. In places like Lisbon and Bucharest I've been surprised by the number of people on bikes, scooters, and skateboards with food delivery cubes bearing the name of the locally popular apps.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:29 pm
mike wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:43 am It is amazing the luxuries our society can afford.
It's not just North American society. In places like Lisbon and Bucharest I've been surprised by the number of people on bikes, scooters, and skateboards with food delivery cubes bearing the name of the locally popular apps.
I see. In the grocery business, we obviously market cooking at home over eating out. I feel like there's a whole generation coming on that could use education about the savings and benefits of making their own food, so I focus on that sometimes in marketing.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:43 pm
I see. In the grocery business, we obviously market cooking at home over eating out. I feel like there's a whole generation coming on that could use education about the savings and benefits of making their own food, so I focus on that sometimes in marketing.
Around here the grocery stores are big on the prepared food thing too. All the groceries have large and growing deli sections and people are increasingly ordering takeout from them and even delivery just like from any other restaurant. One of my daughters worked at the deli section of the local Safeway and they would frequently fill delivery orders for their fried chicken. Apparently it was very popular so DoorDash would deliver boxes of fried chicken just like from any other restaurant. Along with the fries and other sides.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:28 pm
mike wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:43 pm
Around here the grocery stores are big on the prepared food thing too. All the groceries have large and growing deli sections and people are increasingly ordering takeout from them and even delivery just like from any other restaurant. One of my daughters worked at the deli section of the local Safeway and they would frequently fill delivery orders for their fried chicken. Apparently it was very popular so DoorDash would deliver boxes of fried chicken just like from any other restaurant. Along with the fries and other sides.
Yes, for sure. The supermarkets are basically packed with ready to eat food these days. Stuff that takes next to no effort to prepare. There is a lot more money in value added products than there is in staples, plus, that is what people want.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

And we visited Purdue recently and there food is delivered by robots.

We chased some in our car around campus just to watch them at work.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

mike wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:43 pm I see. In the grocery business, we obviously market cooking at home over eating out. I feel like there's a whole generation coming on that could use education about the savings and benefits of making their own food, so I focus on that sometimes in marketing.
Agreed. Add to that, there's a whole generation who could use an education on how to cook healthy food at home.
1 x