Miller Farms fined

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Miller Farms fined

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:06 pm
About Matt Agorist
Matt Agorist is an honorably discharged veteran of the USMC and former intelligence operator directly tasked by the NSA.

This prior experience gives him unique insight into the world of government corruption and the American police state.
Agorist has been an independent journalist for over a decade and has been featured on mainstream networks around the world.
Agorist is also the Editor at Large at the Free Thought Project.
Follow @MattAgorist on Twitter, Steemit, and now on Minds.
Doesn't speak well for the quality of the NSA's intelligence people...
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:50 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:06 pm
About Matt Agorist
Matt Agorist is an honorably discharged veteran of the USMC and former intelligence operator directly tasked by the NSA.

This prior experience gives him unique insight into the world of government corruption and the American police state.
Agorist has been an independent journalist for over a decade and has been featured on mainstream networks around the world.
Agorist is also the Editor at Large at the Free Thought Project.
Follow @MattAgorist on Twitter, Steemit, and now on Minds.
Doesn't speak well for the quality of the NSA's intelligence people...

some say “government intelligence” is an oxymoron. :P
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:38 pm I did a quick Google and found this document, which seems to say that the issue is they were slaughtering animals and selling meet with no federal inspection. That's not the same as being shut down because he "uses humane techniques and treats his animals well".
(d) federal inspection is required at such an establishment that slaughters livestock or poultry, and then prepares or processes amenable meat, meat food products, or poultry products that are capable of use as human food for interstate or foreign commerce, unless the establishment qualifies for an exemption from federal inspection;

(e) Miller’s had been operating its meat and poultry business without a USDA-FSIS Federal Grant of Inspection and (with rare exception) without taking its livestock and poultry for slaughter and processing to any federally inspected facility; and

(f) defendants had not yet changed Miller’s business model to attempt to qualify for an exemption from federal inspection under the Acts for any part of their operations.
Looks like they could either have their facility federally inspected or have their animals slaughtered at another facility that is federally inspected. Apparently there are also times that this requirement can be waived, but they did not seek a waiver.
I felt the story was only telling one side. I do know here is a lot of government overreach also. I think this story falls somewhere in between, but would be something worth discussing since it does connect somewhat to us.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Robert wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 am
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:38 pm I did a quick Google and found this document, which seems to say that the issue is they were slaughtering animals and selling meet with no federal inspection. That's not the same as being shut down because he "uses humane techniques and treats his animals well".
(d) federal inspection is required at such an establishment that slaughters livestock or poultry, and then prepares or processes amenable meat, meat food products, or poultry products that are capable of use as human food for interstate or foreign commerce, unless the establishment qualifies for an exemption from federal inspection;

(e) Miller’s had been operating its meat and poultry business without a USDA-FSIS Federal Grant of Inspection and (with rare exception) without taking its livestock and poultry for slaughter and processing to any federally inspected facility; and

(f) defendants had not yet changed Miller’s business model to attempt to qualify for an exemption from federal inspection under the Acts for any part of their operations.
Looks like they could either have their facility federally inspected or have their animals slaughtered at another facility that is federally inspected. Apparently there are also times that this requirement can be waived, but they did not seek a waiver.
I felt the story was only telling one side. I do know here is a lot of government overreach also. I think this story falls somewhere in between, but would be something worth discussing since it does connect somewhat to us.
The other side of the story being…we treat our animals humanely and pray over them, oops, sorry about the listeria that killed someone? Requiring farmers to follow processes and undergo inspections that prevent bacteria in food from killing people is government overreach?

There is a long process that takes years before a farmer faces these kinds of fines and jail time.

The post in the OP is a misleading propaganda piece that completely neglects to mention that someone died from Mr. Miller’s products.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:17 am
There is a long process that takes years before a farmer faces these kinds of fines and jail time.
I will not go on record to claim to have inside knowledge to this situation, but you are correct. This just didn't happen last week.

There was a thing some years back where various food "co-ops" would pop up to circumvent food safety laws.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:17 am The post in the OP is a misleading propaganda piece that completely neglects to mention that someone died from Mr. Miller’s products.
The article said there were no complaints against them. I would think if someone died, there would be a complaint.

Still think the real story is somewhere inbetween.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I think citizens should have the right to grow and raise their own food without being forced to use commercial facilities. What’s wrong with a food co-op with no disease outbreaks and no complaints?

Maybe the FDA needs to issue an “Emergency Use Authorisation” since the big slaughterhouses keep getting shut down and store shelves keep being empty of ground beef, or else have high prices.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:04 am
Szdfan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:17 am The post in the OP is a misleading propaganda piece that completely neglects to mention that someone died from Mr. Miller’s products.
The article said there were no complaints against them. I would think if someone died, there would be a complaint.
Still think the real story is somewhere inbetween.

Reading the author’s short bio reflects his personal mission to sniff out gov corruption.
In his zeal, it appears he did not do due diligence about either farming regulations or conservative Anabaptists.

The topic is interesting, worth discussion. Noting, “zeal” to judge is not confined to this author.
Readers bring their own zeal and bias. (Someone died?) hmm. hmm. :? Fact? or false accusation? :?

i found this: CDC / listeria
https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/ ... index.html

This CDC report says “it’s likely” the outbreak was connected to the Miller Farm, evidently, not fully confirmed.
But their report is HEAVILY biased against raw milk, giving the impression the source was confirmed.

Big mainstream news outlets cannot be trusted to do any better than this author, esp not in their MANY opinion pieces.
A narrative is chosen, then strongly supported, reality is compromised.

Amos Miller Organic Farm
https://amosmillerorganicfarm.com/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Raw milk has nothing to do with slaughtering animals either.

I prefer not to have government bureaucrats in Washington telling me what food I can or can’t eat. So far, Washington has promoted fast food, processed food, and a lot of unhealthy junk. We have an obesity crisis. The best thing anyone can do for their health is stop listening to government “experts” at places like the CDC.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:47 am The best thing anyone can do for their health is stop listening to government “experts” at places like the CDC.
I think this is a little extreme. I think we should listen and evaluate. Some of the CDC and FDA work is good and very helpful. Some is bureaucratic overreach. It is not always easy to find out which. Let us not jump to conclusions without letting time and more information helping us understand.
2 x