Poll: 2019 SOTU

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Poll: 2019 SOTU

Total votes: 0

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Poll: 2019 SOTU

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote: “President Trump Delivers the State of the Union Address” / White House video 1:22
Things like this are best viewed as Youtube videos rather than live; you can speed it up (1.75x seemed to work fairly well), pause to do something else, and repeat if something bears repeating.
Let us work together to build a culture that cherishes innocent life. (Applause.) And let us reaffirm a fundamental truth: All children — born and unborn — are made in the holy image of God.

The final part of my agenda is to protect American security. Over the last two years, we have begun to fully rebuild the United States military, with $700 billion last year and $716 billion this year.
I found this transition especially jarring. Though there's a paragraph break in the transcript, he barely paused for breath. A culture that cherishes innocent life might recognize that all children and adults -- American and non-American -- are made in the holy image of God, and might therefore see a bit less need for military buildup.
As i watched/listened, i caught his reference to military spending, he spoke quickly throughout, touching on lots of topics.

Military spending is an expected topic for SOTUs? (i think.) Military leaders (always) have primary seating? Presidents are Commanders in Chief, it’s part of the job. This POTUS ran on a campaign of increased respect for all-things-military, and he has followed-through, from what i can discern.

Before he was elected, warnings about world wars, N Korea, Russia, etc., were widespread. i was “just waiting” for the West Coast to be bombed, i think many were. DJT was going to increase wars.

But. hmm. :?
this has not happened. frankly, i have stopped waiting for a bomb to hit (like i’d grown accustomed to fearing in recent years). the actual threat may be the same or worse, fwiw, my perception is, there is less threat.

There’s a thread where Robert and others discuss this dichotomy.
In my view, if military spending does NOT increase military violence, or reduces it, then, spend. :-|
The U.S. military budget has always been beyond my comprehension, “more” is a meaningless number to me, when i can’t honestly grasp the smallest numbers anyone ever proposes.
It’s a blur of numbers. :?

i’m more able to grasp numbers of casualties+fatalities. altho, those can be awfully big numbers, too. i grieve all losses, whether U.S. or foreign citizens. Civilian or military.

There has been occasional talk of DJT being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
This was not predicted. i hope he authentically earns it. Most of all, in God’s view.

i’ll look for that thread. (found it. see below.)
it’s got some interesting, unexpected posts about this admin’s military spending vs action.

i agree, value of life must be about conception to natural death. Not all agree.
Abortion, now infanticide, euthanasia, the death penalty, wars, homicide, are all parts of it.

“Trump cutting military spending? / Politics
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... t=military
Page 1:
Robert wrote:Trump has raised military spending, but seems to be working towards a smaller footprint in the world. Peace through strength can easily be seen through his policies.

One thing that seems to be bringing the North Koreans to the table is what was about to be deployed to South Korea and the military sales he is making available to the Pacific countries. China was forced to force NK to negotiate since they do not want all that military might on their coast.

What few seem to know is that Trump was planning on deploying nuclear weapons to South Korea and/or Japan. This the Chinese could not accept and have now demanded NK denuclearize.

Seems his desire to have a massive military, yet disdain for nation building may actually bring more peace than all the back handed messing with other governments. Woodrow Wilson force the US out of it's isolationist policies. I see us moving in that general direction. I think this will bring more peace than what has been going on since WW1.

So, spending is up, but involvement is going down. he wants to shut down a lot of US bases in other countries. He has shown that we do not need boots on the ground to deal with rogue countries that use WMD. He destroys their abilities while avoiding lost of life. Interesting strategy. I suspect this will be 21st century war now.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote:i failed to add an option: i rarely/never view SOTU.
strange oversight. i think, in my life, this would be true.
Max:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
mike wrote:
Because of this oversight, I felt disenfranchised - I couldn't vote. :D
Likewise
J.M.
Same here.
i decided this thread is not important enough to attempt to start over.
we’ll all just have to deal with our disenfrachisements. :lol:

this crowd is not often shy to protest. complaints are welcome. so, carry on. :blah: :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

SOTU approval numbers.
i’m not a poll-watcher or stats-watcher, because, they are so often wrong, and/or biased to push an agenda. this is no exception, altho, regardless of nay-sayers, the numbers appear positive.

considering the basic purpose of any SOTU, optimism is welcome.
it’s about general morale, which can help with the daily grind of living.

all leaders, no matter what context or level, will enjoy better results when morale is high.
true for families, churches, communities. people can enjoy working hard, even doing without, when they feel encouraged about what they are doing.

Jesus perfectly represents this. He gave eternal hope to actual slaves. :D
Jesus is so far beyond limited human reasoning.

“Most viewers approved of Trump's second State of the Union address“
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-of-t ... news-poll/

This is one of several short poll graphics in the linked report:
i have not been paying attention, this number for Independents is eye-popping.

0 x

UNKNOWN
EJM
Affiliation: Catholic,(not Roman)

Post by EJM »

The one thing that differs this POTUS from all others from recent memory,
For all his faults, Trump is not for sale.
All others I remember were for sale to the highest bidder.
Thinking back though, maybe Reagan and Eisenhower weren't, at least not as visibly so.
I think we all need to do better at praying for POTUS as well as the other politicians, even the Democrats
(as revolting as that seems)
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

EJM:
The one thing that differs this POTUS from all others from recent memory,
Thinking back though, maybe Reagan and Eisenhower weren't, at least not as visibly so.
i don’t know. i’ve read these views. not sure what to make of them.
but, one thing. he seems to be clear of temptations to become a “career” politician, which has evolved into a big problem in U.S. politics, in this youthful government experiment.

some with good foresight saw this emerging over time, the rest of us were late to recognize it, but, at this point, i believe it’s widely acknowledged.

in his political career he began as POTUS. :lol:
“only in America.”

the office, with all it’s negatives, seems to agree with him, as with none before.
his family seems to be holding up. this situation would be literally “killer” for others.

different people have different gifts. i’ve witnessed it, even in my own tiny life.
EJM:
I think we all need to do better at praying for POTUS as well as the other politicians, even the Democrats (as revolting as that seems)
100% agreed.
Dems are seriously in need of prayer. 2016 could have been a time of regrouping, renewing.
they chose to double-down. it’s not healthy.
0 x

UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

EJM wrote:The one thing that differs this POTUS from all others from recent memory,
I think we all need to do better at praying for POTUS as well as the other politicians, even the Democrats
We may find out differently about "Trump is not for sale" after we see the Mueller report, Trump's tax returns and the result of other investigations. I'll wait on this one.

I think Carter was our most honest President.

I, too, think we need to do better in praying for the politicians, even the Republicans (even they are not beyond redemption).
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote:
EJM wrote:The one thing that differs this POTUS from all others from recent memory,
We may find out differently about "Trump is not for sale" after we see the Mueller report, Trump's tax returns and the result of other investigations. I'll wait on this one.

I think Carter was our most honest President.

I, too, think we need to do better in praying for the politicians, even the Republicans (even they are not beyond redemption).
And pigs might fly. The idea that someone already a multi-billionaire sold himself to the Russians is so ridiculous it’s hard to know where to start.

Carter went to Venezuela and reported free and fair democracy. I wouldn’t trust him to judge a high school debate team.

Liberal Mennonites find themselves in an odd pickle: they hate Trump, but he’s pulling out of wars, refusing to start new wars, and reducing aggressive military spending. Seems they’re showing their true colours, which is actually just “liberal”.
0 x