Poll: Auto Accident Fatalities and Injuries

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Check all that apply...

1. I've never given much thought to this topic.
8%
2. I've given some thought to it but never knew want to do about it.
20%
3. I've tried to raise awareness about this matter.
12%
4. I'm interested in doing what I can on grass roots level to make at least a bit of a difference.
16%
5. I intend to make some changes in how I drive and the things I do while driving.
12%
6. People are going to die one way or another, so I don't have much vision for trying to do anything about the number of accidents.
16%
7. Other
16%

Total votes: 25

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Poll: Auto Accident Fatalities and Injuries

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:02 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:25 pm America has a massive influx of third world people who bring their culture (such as ignoring traffic laws) with them.
But that is not what the stats say...
The stats are that traffic fatalities are much worse in the third world per miles travelled. However, far fewer people have cars or travel long distances, because of the cost.

Third-world people who move to America can afford cars and gasoline and then start driving as much as everyone else.

Lived experience in third world places (I don’t know if you’ve been to any, I assumed you had) is far less regard for life and for traffic safety than in Western countries. Fixing this requires a Christianised or otherwise religious culture that imbues a deep value for life and for law and order across all peoples, and it is not possible in a place where government is notoriously corrupt. For an example of a place that has managed to make this transition, see Rwanda.
Yes, I have been to a third world Latino country.

You must not have read this link that I posted earlier.
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Pu ... ion/813493

And here is a more current one. There is no difference between whites and Hispanics in terms of accidents. We maybe should look at what Asians are doing right that their accident rates are so low?
https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehic ... ic-origin/
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

If you’ve lived in a large metro or California for a while, it eventually becomes apparent that the illegal alien population tends not to carry insurance and will either hit and run or will just shrug their shoulders and tell you they have no insurance at an accident. Hit and runs obviously don’t up in demographic statistics.

California and TX (with the highest illegal alien population) have markedly higher insurance costs than a place like Ohio or WV with low illegal alien populations. And WV is a poorer state, too. Insurance costs are the best way to assess the overall amount of accidents and fatalities, since over 100% of premiums paid are dispensed to cover the cost of repairs from accidents, hospital bills for bodily injury, or payments to families for deaths.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:08 am If you’ve lived in a large metro or California for a while, it eventually becomes apparent that the illegal alien population tends not to carry insurance and will either hit and run or will just shrug their shoulders and tell you they have no insurance at an accident. Hit and runs obviously don’t up in demographic statistics.

California and TX (with the highest illegal alien population) have markedly higher insurance costs than a place like Ohio or WV with low illegal alien populations. And WV is a poorer state, too. Insurance costs are the best way to assess the overall amount of accidents and fatalities, since over 100% of premiums paid are dispensed to cover the cost of repairs from accidents, hospital bills for bodily injury, or payments to families for deaths.
Let's check this theory shall we? Hmmmm....

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: just curious, might that also have to do with the high population driving on the roads in those states? I despise driving through LA , Dallas Fort Worth, Atlanta or any of those major cities. Metro driving is horrid, and I also wonder if our infrastructure is keeping up with population growth. I’ve seen a lot of absolutely horrible drivers that are US citizens, and most of the crazies I’ve seen driving around here are all-American maniacs… they recently installed speed bumps by our place to wake people up to the fact that they have to slow down for the school zone. There’s a ton of uninsured motorists around here, and while some of them may be illegals, there’s also those who don’t want to pay for insurance, and people who have had their licenses revoked for drugs or alcohol related reasons. Never underestimate the ineptitude of an American driver, especially one armed with either a cell phone or alcohol.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:49 pm Wife: just curious, might that also have to do with the high population driving on the roads in those states? I despise driving through LA , Dallas Fort Worth, Atlanta or any of those major cities. Metro driving is horrid, and I also wonder if our infrastructure is keeping up with population growth. I’ve seen a lot of absolutely horrible drivers that are US citizens, and most of the crazies I’ve seen driving around here are all-American maniacs… they recently installed speed bumps by our place to wake people up to the fact that they have to slow down for the school zone. There’s a ton of uninsured motorists around here, and while some of them may be illegals, there’s also those who don’t want to pay for insurance, and people who have had their licenses revoked for drugs or alcohol related reasons. Never underestimate the ineptitude of an American driver, especially one armed with either a cell phone or alcohol.
Each state has a different combination of laws that and conditions that make insurance cheaper or more expensive. If you look up at the map, Michigan looks to be the highest. Why is Michigan so high? Here is the answer from one Michigan law firm: https://www.855mikewins.com/michigans-a ... rdly-high/

Reason #1: Michigan’s No-Fault Insurance Law (Particularly Unlimited PIP Benefits). Personal injury liability is uncapped in Michigan and applies lifetime. So you can get sued for someone's car injury 10 years later.

Reason #2: Michigan’s High Amount of Deer-Car Accidents

Reason #3: Michigan’s Huge Number of Uninsured Drivers

Reason #4: Michigan’s Infamously Severe Winter Weather

All of those things lead to high insurance premiums.

None of those have much if anything to do with illegal immigrants since Michigan isn't a particularly popular destination for illegal immigrants. In fact it ranks 38th out of the 50 states for percentage of the population that is undocumented immigrants. Or 12th from the bottom. The masses of uninsured motorists in Michigan are mostly citizens and not illegal immigrants.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:24 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:49 pm Wife: just curious, might that also have to do with the high population driving on the roads in those states? I despise driving through LA , Dallas Fort Worth, Atlanta or any of those major cities. Metro driving is horrid, and I also wonder if our infrastructure is keeping up with population growth. I’ve seen a lot of absolutely horrible drivers that are US citizens, and most of the crazies I’ve seen driving around here are all-American maniacs… they recently installed speed bumps by our place to wake people up to the fact that they have to slow down for the school zone. There’s a ton of uninsured motorists around here, and while some of them may be illegals, there’s also those who don’t want to pay for insurance, and people who have had their licenses revoked for drugs or alcohol related reasons. Never underestimate the ineptitude of an American driver, especially one armed with either a cell phone or alcohol.
Each state has a different combination of laws that and conditions that make insurance cheaper or more expensive. If you look up at the map, Michigan looks to be the highest. Why is Michigan so high? Here is the answer from one Michigan law firm: https://www.855mikewins.com/michigans-a ... rdly-high/

Reason #1: Michigan’s No-Fault Insurance Law (Particularly Unlimited PIP Benefits). Personal injury liability is uncapped in Michigan and applies lifetime. So you can get sued for someone's car injury 10 years later.

Reason #2: Michigan’s High Amount of Deer-Car Accidents

Reason #3: Michigan’s Huge Number of Uninsured Drivers

Reason #4: Michigan’s Infamously Severe Winter Weather

All of those things lead to high insurance premiums.

None of those have much if anything to do with illegal immigrants since Michigan isn't a particularly popular destination for illegal immigrants. In fact it ranks 38th out of the 50 states for percentage of the population that is undocumented immigrants. Or 12th from the bottom. The masses of uninsured motorists in Michigan are mostly citizens and not illegal immigrants.
Wife: I should’ve clarified. I wasn’t personally talking insurance rates, although uninsured motorists did have to do with it as well. I was just talking about the high accident rates around high immigrant populations. Given how much insurance is around here, I think that plenty of citizens either don’t pay it or let it lapse. or, since they don’t even have their license for whatever reason, they can’t have insurance either.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:34 pm Hmmmm....
2018? Really? Data that's been updated this year is readily available.
https://www.marketwatch.com/guides/insu ... -by-state/
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Plain News
Ohio man driving while distracted with phone sentenced to prison after fatal accident
A young Anabaptist man from Ohio was recently indicted in the Columbiana County Common Pleas Court of aggravated vehicular homicide, a third-degree felony, and vehicular assault, a fourth-degree felony. The Ohio man had a courtroom full of supporters, both family and friends, who attended every day of the trial and testified to him being gentle, hardworking, and an asset to the church. "He would never, ever intentionally hurt someone," said a friend speaking on his behalf. Evidence points to speeding and being distracted by a cell phone as contributing factors to a fatal head-one vehicle accident that occurred in 2022 when a 2009 Chevy Silverado driven by the Anabaptist man collided with a GMC Terrain, causing serious physical injuries to the 83-year-old driver of the car and the death of his 81-year-old wife. In an interview with a police officer, the man admitted: "I was watching sports highlights on my phone." Pleading for mercy from the judge, the young man said, "I did not mean to cause any harm to anybody." The judge handed down a sentence of three years in prison and a 15-year driver's license suspension for the charges of aggravated vehicular homicide and vehicular assault. The defense attorney in the case asked the judge to consider a lesser punishment, making mention of the fact that there's a civil lawsuit pending against the guilty party and his employer by the estate of the woman who passed away in the accident and her husband who died a few months later. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 3,308 people were killed by distracted driving in 2022. That's an average of nine deaths per day that could be avoided by drivers being focused and undistracted while at the wheel.
Bickerton offered her condolences. She agreed with Yacovone, saying everybody’s guilty of looking at their phone while driving. She said that’s why the law was put in place with punishment, to hold people accountable who don’t follow the law. She told Horst he wasn’t a bad person. She believed he was an upstanding citizen and what his friend and brother said about him. “You made a mistake that resulted in a horrible outcome,” she said.
She was troubled that they went through this whole process, making her question his remorse. She acknowledged the support he had in the courtroom and the fact that his brother couldn’t even get the words out he was so upset. Nobody is perfect, but it’s how people respond to address their mistakes.
https://www.morningjournalnews.com/news ... -accident/

Very few people who cause the deaths of others in an auto fatality, "mean to cause harm". So I am not sure how this helps in a court case.
I think that showing repentance is the probably the best thing to do in a court room, and maybe he did that. But it seems that the judge questioned this.

Having said that, I have done a lot of distracted driving so this could have been me.
Recently, after reading some articles in preparation for starting this thread, I committed myself to my family, to eliminate distracted driving as much as possible.
Last edited by Ernie on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

This case should be a wake up call to any Christian that we have serious problems with phones when one gets thrown in prison for crime of using them.

Any of us who use a phone in a non car safe mode while driving should repent.

If that isn’t enough, get rid of your smartphone while you still can chose it yourself.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I don't get why people pack out the courtroom in cases like this. Not to mention testifying "he would never" when he actually did. It gives the impression that "we" think "we" are, or should be, above the law. There are better ways of supporting the accused.

Watching sports highlights? :x
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited