Amish gun dealer

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Amish gun dealer

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:27 pm Handguns are pretty simple machines.

If we were actually serious about it we could prohibit the manufacture of guns that are easily converted to fully automatic with such trivial parts. I'm sure it would be quite possible to design firearms that are are not easily modified in such a way.

But we don't do that.
The ATF actually does exactly that.

The bigger question is why these switches are allowed to proliferate on the streets. And why there aren’t mass prosecutions for felonies for having them and prison sentences of 10+ years in federal prison for them. Not to mention going after the importers and dealers and shutting things down at the border where they come in.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:13 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:27 pm Handguns are pretty simple machines.

If we were actually serious about it we could prohibit the manufacture of guns that are easily converted to fully automatic with such trivial parts. I'm sure it would be quite possible to design firearms that are are not easily modified in such a way.

But we don't do that.
The ATF actually does exactly that.

The bigger question is why these switches are allowed to proliferate on the streets. And why there aren’t mass prosecutions for felonies for having them and prison sentences of 10+ years in federal prison for them. Not to mention going after the importers and dealers and shutting things down at the border where they come in.
No, the AFT does not actually do that. They do not regulate the designs of Glocks and mandate that Glock produce guns that are not possible to convert to automatic fire with a simple switch. They do not do that with any gun manufacturer. Much less force gun manufacturers to pull guns off the market that are easy to convert to auto fire. If Glocks were not so easy to convert to auto fire with such a simple device then we would not have Glock switches proliferating.

And the border isn't necessarily the problem. You can print a Glock switch in 10 minutes with an ordinary 3D printer that costs less than $200.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:17 pm No, the AFT does not actually do that. They do not regulate the designs of Glocks and mandate that Glock produce guns that are not possible to convert to automatic fire with a simple switch. They do not do that with any gun manufacturer.
Could you explain to me why the ATF doesn’t allow semiautomatic firearms to be made with an open bolt design anymore?
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I'm curious how many Amish have photo IDs suitable for purchasing guns legally.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am I'm curious how many Amish have photo IDs suitable for purchasing guns legally.
Or for that matter, voting. Since there seems to be a push to get Amish to vote.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:07 am
barnhart wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am I'm curious how many Amish have photo IDs suitable for purchasing guns legally.
Or for that matter, voting. Since there seems to be a push to get Amish to vote.
No photo ID voting laws in Ohio or PA.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:02 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:07 am
No photo ID voting laws in Ohio or PA.
You sure about that? https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/voter ... uirements/
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Yes, I am.
If you do not have any of the above forms of identification, you may cast a provisional ballot.

If you do not provide one of the above forms of photo ID, you will still be able to vote using a provisional ballot. However, for that ballot to be counted, you must return to the board of elections no later than four days following Election Day to provide a qualifying form of identification. If you do not have a photo ID because of a religious objection to being photographed, you may complete an affidavit of religious objection and have your provisional ballot count.
In addition someone who doesn’t have and can’t afford to get a photo ID for various reasons can show other identification to bypass this requirement. When I worked as an “election judge”, I had to be familiar with these requirements including not unnecessarily causing voters to cast provisional ballots.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:40 pm Yes, I am.
If you do not have any of the above forms of identification, you may cast a provisional ballot.

If you do not provide one of the above forms of photo ID, you will still be able to vote using a provisional ballot. However, for that ballot to be counted, you must return to the board of elections no later than four days following Election Day to provide a qualifying form of identification. If you do not have a photo ID because of a religious objection to being photographed, you may complete an affidavit of religious objection and have your provisional ballot count.
In addition someone who doesn’t have and can’t afford to get a photo ID for various reasons can show other identification to bypass this requirement. When I worked as an “election judge”, I had to be familiar with these requirements including not unnecessarily causing voters to cast provisional ballots.
So for an Amish person without a photo ID to vote in Ohio would have to:

First go to the polls and cast a provisional ballot
Second, return to the county board of elections in person within 4 days and complete a signed affidavit in order to get their provisional ballot counted.

Seems like a lot of trouble, but OK.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:17 pm So for an Amish person without a photo ID to vote in Ohio would have to:

First go to the polls and cast a provisional ballot
Second, return to the county board of elections in person within 4 days and complete a signed affidavit in order to get their provisional ballot counted.

Seems like a lot of trouble, but OK.
The way it actually works is you show up at the polls with alternative ID, explain why you don't have a photo ID (as opposed to just can't find it, lost it, etc.), and the election judge then makes a decision what to do next. This has significantly changed in recent years as state-issued photo IDs are now "free" (and someone on Medicaid, etc. can get free transportation to and from the BMV, and also can get aid from the county level Community Action Agency to pay to get copies of birth certificates, etc. to get that ID), so the valid reasons not to have an ID has shrunk considerably. Religious reasons are still valid.

Ironically, Amish may eventually be one of the few groups who are allowed to vote without photo ID in the long run.
0 x