Revival is spreading

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Revival is spreading

Post by Bootstrap »

Timothy Tennant, who is President of Asbury Theological Seminary, posted this on his blog:

https://timothytennent.com/thoughts-on- ... awakening/
Sometimes we envision “revivals” as times when people hear fiery sermons and there are big outbursts of emotion. This move of God is marked more by quiet weeping than emotive shouting.

Despite the endless coverage in social media and the regular media which is calling this a revival, I think it is wise to see this, at the current phase, as an awakening. Only if we see lasting transformation which shakes the comfortable foundations of the church and truly brings us all to a new and deeper place can we look back, in hindsight and say “yes, this has been a revival.” An awakening is where God begins to stir and awaken people up from their spiritual slumber. This is definitely happening not only in Wilmore, but as this move of God spreads to other schools and communities across the nation and even the world. There are many reports that this is what is happening. But, we must keep our hearts and eyes fixed on Jesus and ask for him to complete the work he has begun so that, over time, there is a lasting transformation in the lives of those who are being touched by God.
7 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 am Timothy Tennant, who is President of Asbury Theological Seminary, posted this on his blog:

Sometimes we envision “revivals” as times when people hear fiery sermons and there are big outbursts of emotion. This move of God is marked more by quiet weeping than emotive shouting.

Despite the endless coverage in social media and the regular media which is calling this a revival, I think it is wise to see this, at the current phase, as an awakening. Only if we see lasting transformation which shakes the comfortable foundations of the church and truly brings us all to a new and deeper place can we look back, in hindsight and say “yes, this has been a revival.” An awakening is where God begins to stir and awaken people up from their spiritual slumber. This is definitely happening not only in Wilmore, but as this move of God spreads to other schools and communities across the nation and even the world. There are many reports that this is what is happening. But, we must keep our hearts and eyes fixed on Jesus and ask for him to complete the work he has begun so that, over time, there is a lasting transformation in the lives of those who are being touched by God.
Excellent statement and I strongly agree.
2 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I appreciate Mr. Tennant's view. There is not much in the bible about the concept we call revival. I think of Jesus' message to the church in Revelation where he warns they have left their first love. His prescription is to "do the things you did in the beginning". From that I understand revival means renewed obedience.

I'm not encouraged by the revival tourism. If you want renewed obedience in your local church, go into your prayer closet, not to Kentucky.
3 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:44 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:18 am Timothy Tennant, who is President of Asbury Theological Seminary, posted this on his blog:

Excellent statement and I strongly agree.

Is there any material difference in what Neto posted on the prior page?
Neto wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:05 pm https://slowtowrite.com/is-the-asbury-r ... l-revival/

Someone said what I've been thinking: We won't know what this is until later. By their fruits you will know them.
What I've been thinking more specifically is that if many of these young people flood missionary agencies with applications, THEN I will say that a revival has happened. Basking in the Good News is not revival. Jesus sent us out to reach the lost.
(Now I've finally gotten the nerve to say what I've been thinking.)

Different people are reached in different ways by the one sacred Holy Spirit. Praise be to God.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:45 pm I appreciate Mr. Tennant's view. There is not much in the bible about the concept we call revival. I think of Jesus' message to the church in Revelation where he warns they have left their first love. His prescription is to "do the things you did in the beginning". From that I understand revival means renewed obedience.

I'm not encouraged by the revival tourism. If you want renewed obedience in your local church, go into your prayer closet, not to Kentucky.
I'm not 100% sure I'm right about this, but I do feel like biblical nonresistance is an important part of Christianity, and (in theory) a legitimate "revival" (iIwould concur it seems to not be a biblical concept, and sociologically it is certainly a concept that seems to have not existed before 18th century America) should result in adherents abandoning a lukewarm lifestyle of suing at law, voting, running for office, toting concealed weapons, and amassing military-styled and personal defensive weapons such as handguns.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

John Fea is covering it in depth, daily, on his blog. Here's his latest post

https://currentpub.com/2023/02/18/asbur ... -at-907pm/

It looks like MAGA loyalists and every manner of Christian nationalist is now trying to co-opt the event.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Politically minded people of every stripe are trying to get involved (the article above had lgbtq+ advocates trying to co-opt it as well).

Pardon my cynicism, but this seems to be a repeat of the ill-fated “Toronto Blessing” / “refreshing” movement. And a repeat of America’s sorry history of many “awakenings”, “revivals”, numbering so many that eventually a whole patch of NY State called the “burned over district”: revival fires burned, but the wheat and harvest never seemed to happen.

Worse yet, eventually denominations including the Methodist ones and my own institutionalised this into “revivals”: these meetings are planned, organised, people travel to them, and have highly emotional experiences, myself included. I am not entirely convinced this is all of the Lord’s doing, but he is willing to accept us and meet us wherever we are at - including our ossified traditions.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I'm going to take a positive outlook on this. I personally know of those who have gone to 'revival' meetings that continued on from there in a much deeper walk with the Lord. I also know of curious people who attended these, became believers and are serving the Lord today.

I am not ignoring the fact that these revivals also draw folks that are tired of 'dead religion' and want to get in on something that has 'more life' to it. If their experience is real they will continue on pursuing a Christian life. But as the parable of the sower goes, not all will end up as a real crop.

And I also think wherever God is at work, satan is there to interfere.

I hope and pray many will come to Christ, backsliders return and lukewarm Christians get on fire to spread the Gospel of the Kingdom.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

My home church is celebrating. Begin at about the 6 minute mark for that chorus we often sang in Christian gatherings.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Jess77
Affiliation:

Post by Jess77 »

Yesterday. Looks like people of many backgrounds and ages present. Must be close to a thousand there?

1 x