Global Warning/Climate Change

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Global Warning/Climate Change

Post by Ken »

I'm a huge supporter of nuclear. The stupidest thing that Germany ever did (well...maybe not THE stupidest) was to abandon nuclear power. Now they are entirely dependent on Putin.

New companies like X-energy and NuScale are doing a lot of interesting development of small scale clean reactors. I hope they can make it work.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:27 pm I'm a huge supporter of nuclear. The stupidest thing that Germany ever did (well...maybe not THE stupidest) was to abandon nuclear power. Now they are entirely dependent on Putin.

New companies like X-energy and NuScale are doing a lot of interesting development of small scale clean reactors. I hope they can make it work.
personally I think they are too expensive and don't have the return. Maybe fusion will be practical in another 50-100 years.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:38 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:27 pm I'm a huge supporter of nuclear. The stupidest thing that Germany ever did (well...maybe not THE stupidest) was to abandon nuclear power. Now they are entirely dependent on Putin.

personally I think they are too expensive and don't have the return. Maybe fusion will be practical in another 50-100 years.
The old ones have been yes. But there is hope that new smaller-scale nuclear reactors will be both clean and cost effective

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... the-world/
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Wind and solar generally speaking produce less energy in their lifetime than they cost to manufacture, install, and operate. (Tesla cars have the same problem.)

Nuclear sounds nice, but consistently doesn’t produce a positive return on investment, so it would need massive subsidies.

That leaves us with coal, gas, and oil. Gas is the cleanest and best option - but at some point, consumption of electricity cannot continue to grow exponentially.

God already created the world to harness solar and wind. Solar panels grow right out of the ground without any human intervention. The wind and sun makes water flow from place to place, evaporate, and rain.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:34 am Wind and solar generally speaking produce less energy in their lifetime than they cost to manufacture, install, and operate. (Tesla cars have the same problem.)
What is your source for this false assertion? Some Facebook meme?

When the subject is actually studied scientists quickly come to the opposite conclusion. For example, when wind turbines were studied here in the Pacific Northwest it was found that the the energy payback period for the two wind turbine models studied was between 5.2 and 6.4 months. That was in 2014. Wind turbines being produced today are even more energy efficient. Here is just one study. https://www.inderscienceonline.com/doi/ ... 014.062496 You can find many others. None of which support your false assertion.

Why don't you add up the both the energy and environmental costs of (1) digging coal out of the ground, (2) transporting it across the country, and (3) burning it and releasing the waste into the atmosphere. And not just the CO2 but all the toxic chemical waste put into the atmosphere from burning coal including mercury, lead, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, particulates, and various other heavy metals. And then compare those to using the free wind and solar energy that God provides.

And then do the same thing for natural gas. Add up the energy and environmental costs of mining it using fracking or offshore platforms, the energy and environmental costs of transporting it via pipeline or LNG, and the environmental costs of burning it to generate electricity. And compare those to the free wind and solar energy that God provides.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

TY SMITH / JOHN COLEMAN, FOUNDER, THE WEATHER CHANNEL
“Trust the science when it comes to the next "C" word to go mainstream! - Just Sayin' “ / 4min
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i wrote: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4965&p=166482&hilit ... 86#p166482

The Inflation Reduction Act - isn’t, and they don’t even deny it isn’t.
It’s a false marketing label used to sell UNWANTED policies.

In the private sector, this is illegal, known as BAIT+SWITCH.
:evil:

Larry Elder / Ronald Stein / So, It WAS All A Scam / 21min

Ronald Stein
https://www.desmog.com/ronald-stein/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Blondie54
Affiliation: Catholic

Post by Blondie54 »

In LA now we're having a huge heat wave. 110 degrees today. Scary
0 x
TruthSeeker
Affiliation: Mystic

Post by TruthSeeker »

Blondie54 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:40 am In LA now we're having a huge heat wave. 110 degrees today. Scary
As I told my uncle in Petaluma yesterday; "Stay cool; be well!"
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.