One way God provides ...

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

One way God provides ...

Post by Bootstrap »

This morning I was looking places where Jesus asks a series of questions in the New Testament and returned these two verses in a search:
Matt 6:31-34 wrote:So don’t worry, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ For the idolaters eagerly seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you. Therefore don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
This doesn't say how God will provide, and God certainly provides in many ways, sometimes miraculously. But it's interesting to see almost the same questions asked in this passage:
Matt 25:37-40 wrote:“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?’

“And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’
Here and in the rest of the New Testament, one of the main ways God provides for believers is by building a community that provides for each other and for others in need.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Re: One way God provides ...

Post by Mennogal »

Do you feel that the crux of Mt. 6:25-34 is about the physical, the actual provision of food and clothing then? Or is it more a message of not worrying about these basic things, that they will be provided? It’s actually one of my favorite passages, and I have viewed it more metaphorically, to ease my daily worries. Oh to be clothed as one of the lilies....
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Mennogal wrote:Do you feel that the crux of Mt. 6:25-34 is about the physical, the actual provision of food and clothing then? Or is it more a message of not worrying about these basic things, that they will be provided? It’s actually one of my favorite passages, and I have viewed it more metaphorically, to ease my daily worries. Oh to be clothed as one of the lilies....
I understand it to be an appeal for our faith, loyalty and trust.
I have tendency to know what I need, and how much money I need, and what it will take to secure it. Jesus is asking us to place Him first (v33) and not to have fear and worry.

We do need to work for these things. Even the birds find their own food. It isn’t primarily a promise to provide regardless of how I behave. It is primarily a question of where I look for my needs (v24).
0 x
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

RZehr wrote:
Mennogal wrote:Do you feel that the crux of Mt. 6:25-34 is about the physical, the actual provision of food and clothing then? Or is it more a message of not worrying about these basic things, that they will be provided? It’s actually one of my favorite passages, and I have viewed it more metaphorically, to ease my daily worries. Oh to be clothed as one of the lilies....
I understand it to be an appeal for our faith, loyalty and trust.
I have tendency to know what I need, and how much money I need, and what it will take to secure it. Jesus is asking us to place Him first (v33) and not to have fear and worry.

We do need to work for these things. Even the birds find their own food. It isn’t primarily a promise to provide regardless of how I behave. It is primarily a question of where I look for my needs (v24).
Agree entirely..
0 x