Bible Memorization (Children)

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Bible Memorization (Children)

Post by mike »

What are the benefits of Bible memorization for children?

It's a fairly strong emphasis I grew up with in Christian school, and I still remember a fair amount of the passages we learned. Now, my children are homeschooled and it is a struggle for me to make it happen for them. (It's one of the things that my wife has said is my job.) :)

Are there any downsides?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Bible Memorization (Children)

Post by Josh »

I think it's helpful for overall literacy and building up a common understood mythos, much like reading and learning the classics - but I don't think it does a lot for spiritual formation. Bible memorisation, in my opinion, is pretty far from an Anabaptist hermeneutic.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I very much value childhood bible memory. Now, even though I can't quote the verses, often when I come upon a concept, theory, or question, I remember enough to know that the bible isn't silent on the issue. Then I go search the verse out. But sometimes the verse doesn't seem to exist. :oops:
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I would have a very similar view to Josh. That said, in an effort to express solidarity with my students, I am also continually memorizing Bible verses. One thing about it is though...it doesn't stay up there as good as it used to without constant review.

Currently working on Romans 6-8. Not the easiest ones I have ever memorized...
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:I very much value childhood bible memory. Now, even though I can't quote the verses, often when I come upon a concept, theory, or question, I remember enough to know that the bible isn't silent on the issue. Then I go search the verse out. But sometimes the verse doesn't seem to exist. :oops:
We value it too. In our families it was a bit of a game but it's one that stays with the children throughout their lives. Like you, they said it helps them to remember that the objective Truth of God has weighed in on most of life's issues.

We used 3x5 cards with themes and the Bible verses that match those themes:
Christian Speech
Morality - Personal Relationships
Morality in Professions
Personal Relationship in Christ and so on... Can't remember all the themes but God's Sovereignty and Power was another.

Each theme had several verses so the children had plenty of options. They would memorize one or two verses a week. My wife kept it fun and the children sometimes looked up additional verses to make more cards for that theme. They enjoyed it as an exercise but it really formed them in seeking out The Word on life's issues and encounters. 8-)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

When pondering or discussing a particular issue or topic, those verses which we have "hid in our hearts" can be recalled to mind, allowing us to make decisions based on God's word without having to pull out our Bibles every time and look up what it says.
To me Bible memorization is a bit like memorizing the basic math facts and basic volume/area/flow/horsepower formulas. There is no saving value in Bible memorization, but it those verses and passages that I memorized while still young are still helpful to me.

Children are going to fill their minds with something, and we may as well help them fill their minds with the most worthwhile literature of all time. In addition to Bible memory, help your children memorize worthwhile poems and songs. I'm very grateful for the time my parents spent in memorization with their children.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Interesting thoughts everybody. Thanks.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I think that a lot of times it's evident that the parent/ teacher is simply focusing on quantity memorized. At that point I don't think much is gained. It'd be better to memorize fewer, more keystone scriptures that they can carry with them and apply into young adulthood.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Never being taught scripture as a child wasn't helpful and still isn't. I still can recall all kinds of movies, videos games, bad music if I try to... Bible memorization for children is helpful as long as it is also lived out by the parents - when scripture is taught but not lived out it is really confusing to children and possibly worse at times than none at all.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:Never being taught scripture as a child wasn't helpful and still isn't. I still can recall all kinds of movies, videos games, bad music if I try to... Bible memorization for children is helpful as long as it is also lived out by the parents - when scripture is taught but not lived out it is really confusing to children and possibly worse at times than none at all.
:up: :clap:
We found over the years that it helped us to be more mindful of our own parental example because the children would always bring up those verses at opportune moments: it was family accountability flowing both ways. From the mouths of babes :lol: :hug:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God