Bible Memorization (Children)

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Bible Memorization (Children)

Post by temporal1 »

OP, Page 1 -
mike wrote:What are the benefits of Bible memorization for children?

It's a fairly strong emphasis I grew up with in Christian school, and I still remember a fair amount of the passages we learned. Now, my children are homeschooled and it is a struggle for me to make it happen for them. (It's one of the things that my wife has said is my job.) :)

Are there any downsides?
mike,
wondering if you have gained any valuable take-aways in this thread?

For me, not having memory work, and regretting it, i'm thinking:
1. if i were in your shoes, i think i'd find a way to help my children understand the importance of memory work in history. encouraging them to imagine what life would be like, without books or ability to read. choice of words and content would vary, depending on their ages.

2. i think i would help them get a glimpse of the idea of memorizing complete chapters, or the entire Bible, to stretch their minds about what the God-designed human brain is capable of!

When learning, it helps to know as much as possible about "why?" a thing is important to be learned. It's also helpful to "get a view" or new perspective about what is possible.

The thing with children is, being new to life, they have so little perspective!
When they think of memorizing the whole Bible, by contrast, memorizing a chapter may seem quite reasonable.

Some will memorize more easily than others (but may not grasp content as well.)
(i would) not take a "one-size fits all" approach. this might inadvertantly turn some away, which is not the goal. i agree, i would not use memory work as punishment, which was common in former times.

i would try to convey the importance of studying any recited verse in context of the whole.
a cited verse can be useful, esp if it encourages going to that verse in context for better understanding.

stand-alone, or "cherry-picking" can easily mislead - but, they will see a lot of this in their lives, often by atheists or non-believers, attempting to undermine faith. (not the only misuse.)

i have faith you are doing a fine job of all of it, esp regarding preparing your children to face the world.
which is a primary function of parents and elders.

reports are consistent, children are most impacted by what they learn in their homes.
parents, be encouraged. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:For me, not having memory work, and regretting it
It's never too late ... this is not something to stop doing when you become an adult. Unfortunately, I've not been doing this for a long time, maybe it's time to start again.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:For me, not having memory work, and regretting it
It's never too late ... this is not something to stop doing when you become an adult.
i have made some progress. but, when i see how well my granddaughter does with it,
thinking nothing of it, i am humbled.
she thinks i know more than she! no, not in all things, or in all ways.

children have romantic views of what it means to be of adult years.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

mike wrote:What are the benefits of Bible memorization for children?... ... ...
Are there any downsides?
Possibly Salvation, Peace, Joy, Health, Fellowship with Jesus and with the Father,

vs .... ?
0 x