How Shall We Pray

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: How Shall We Pray

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:This came to my mind -
Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? Or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul to vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: How Shall We Pray

Post by Aaron »

... (example?) ....

.... okay, I saw this decades ago: someone in the ice-cold water in the ocean....

A large ocean liner in the backround, half or more pointed down in the ocean, half or less up in the air , pointed up....

life boats moving away , can barely the oars in water.... one or two persons shouting "ANYONE ALIVE!? ANYONE HEAR ME!?..."

now, pray quietly, or shout as if your life depends upon being heard ? (re "FERVENT PRAYER" (that can stop rain for 3 years) ) .....

"One day he went to King Ahab and said, “I’m a servant of the living Lord, the God of Israel. And I swear in his name that it won’t rain until I say so. There won’t even be any dew on the ground.”

2 Later, the Lord said to Elijah, 3 “Leave and go across the Jordan River so you can hide near Cherith Creek. 4 You can drink water from the creek, and eat the food I’ve told the ravens to bring you.”

5 Elijah obeyed the Lord and went to live near Cherith Creek. 6 Ravens brought him bread and meat twice a day, and he drank water from the creek. 7 But after a while, it dried up because there was no rain.
Elijah Helps a Widow in Zarephath

8 The Lord told Elijah, 9 “Go to the town of Zarephath in Sidon and live there. I’ve told a widow in that town to give you food.”

10 When Elijah came near the town gate of Zarephath, he saw a widow gathering sticks for a fire. “Would you please bring me a cup of water?” he asked. 11 As she left to get it, he asked, “Would you also please bring me a piece of bread?”

12 The widow answered, “In the name of the living Lord your God, I swear that I don’t have any bread. All I have is a handful of flour and a little olive oil. I’m on my way home now with these few sticks to cook what I have for my son and me. After that, we will starve to death.”

13 Elijah said, “Everything will be fine. .... " (and it was, for him and for her, trusting God) ....
0 x