Mirror of the Martyrs

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Mirror of the Martyrs

Post by ohio jones »

The Mirror of the Martyrs is an exhibit currently on display until Nov. 5 at Bluffton University. If you're within a reasonable distance, it would be worth a visit. I notice Edsel has been there. :wave:

I understand this exhibit traveled extensively from 1990-2003 but has more recently been based at Bethel College in KS. In addition to stories of martyrs from Acts 7 to the present, there are copies of the earliest editions of the Martyr's Mirror, as well as several of the copper plates used to print the illustrations that first appeared in the 1685 edition. The most famous of these illustrations of course is the one of Dirk Willems:

Anabaptist immigrants to PA, writing c.1745 to the Dutch Mennonites about a German translation:
As the flames of war appear to mount higher, no man can tell whether the cross and persecution of the nonresistant Christians will not soon come, and it is therefore of importance to prepare ourselves for such circumstances with patience and resignation, and to use all available means that can strengthen faith....we consider it to be of greatest importance to become acquainted with the trustworthy witnesses who have walked in the way of truth, and sacrificed their lives for it.
Martyr's Mirror online
More about the copper plates and an AIC presentation by Amos Hoover
Complete set of illustrations
More martyr stories: Bearing Witness
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Mirror of the Martyrs

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Any idea where it might travel to next?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Mirror of the Martyrs

Post by ohio jones »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Any idea where it might travel to next?
Unfortunately, I can't find a schedule of future exhibits. It may just be going back to Kansas.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited