Sermon On the Mount: Matthew 5:1-11

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Sermon On the Mount: Matthew 5:1-11

Post by Bootstrap »

I'd like to kick off an inductive Bible study of the Sermon On the Mount. I'd like to do this with a certain amount of structure, so people can learn how to do inductive Bible study. (If you have your own preferred way and don't want to go along, please start a different thread for that, so we don't have multiple people trying to steer in different directions.)

Inductive Bible Study starts with asking questions about a text and making very simple observations about the text before moving on to interpret it and apply it to your life. Instead of reading a text and instantly jumping to application, it spends time in the text, looking around, seeing the sights, smelling the smells, asking the questions that would occur to us if we weren't already so familiar with the text.

To start with, I'd like to keep us focused on Matthew 5:1-11, asking questions and making very low level observations. I set up a hypothes.is group for us to do this - to join the group, please go to https://hypothes.is/groups/43ZvqPAX/mennonet and sign up for an account. After you have done that, take a look at the text here:

https://via.hypothes.is/https://www.bib ... ersion=ESV

I already put some questions and observations into annotations on that text. These are the kind of question / observation that I usually start with. You don't need a lot of background to have questions or observe what's going on, you just need to open your eyes. Can some of the rest of you add to the questions and observations that are there for Matthew 5:1-11?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Sermon On the Mount: Matthew 5:1-11

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I've made my account & will add some annotations once I'm to a real computer (not just a mobile device)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I set up the account and went to the designated page which gives Matthew 5.1-48. Bootstrap, how does one see your questions and annotations? Or add such?
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

JimFoxvog wrote:I set up the account and went to the designated page which gives Matthew 5.1-48. Bootstrap, how does one see your questions and annotations? Or add such?
It took me some time to figure it out but I've since forgotten :?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

JimFoxvog wrote:I set up the account and went to the designated page which gives Matthew 5.1-48. Bootstrap, how does one see your questions and annotations? Or add such?
Sorry it took a while, I'm at a conference where I spoke and organized some sessions, so I've been very busy.

If you look in the upper right hand corner, you should see a set of controls like this:
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 8.34.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 8.34.26 PM.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Click on the top box, which has a V-shaped arrow pointing left. Now you should see a box that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.30.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.30.16 PM.png (10.48 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Click on the arrow on the right and log in (if you have already signed up for an account) or sign in. Now click on the arrow on the right hand of "Public" (continues next post).
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

(continued from previous post)

Click on the arrow to the right of "Public" and it pulls up a drop-down menu.
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 8.36.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 8.36.11 PM.png (11.59 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Pick MennoNet:
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 8.35.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 8.35.44 PM.png (7.9 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Now you should be able to see the annotations. Click around, you will figure it out.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

It sounds like the technology is making this difficult. Would it be better if I used a low-tech approach to lead this?
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:It sounds like the technology is making this difficult. Would it be better if I used a low-tech approach to lead this?
I believe so. I think we've botched this attempt. Not to say it'll never work though.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert, any chance you could allow pdf attachments?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A small group I am casually part of picked 5:1-11 as our memory verses for next weekend.
0 x