The Earth is the Lord's - John L. Ruth

Place for books, articles, and websites with content that connect or detail Anabaptist theology
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Re: The Earth is the Lord's - John L. Ruth

Post by cmbl »

Ernie wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I just sold mine for $600 Canadian less ebay and postage so about $500 Canadian after costs. I don't think having the original edition is worth that much to me.
You can be glad. Amazon price is now $125. I'm guessing a bunch of people are trying to sell quick before theirs is worth $75.
Lay not up...
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

That is why I sold it!
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I just sold mine for $600 Canadian less ebay and postage so about $500 Canadian after costs. I don't think having the original edition is worth that much to me.
You can be glad. Amazon price is now $125. I'm guessing a bunch of people are trying to sell quick before theirs is worth $75.
That was me having a bit of fun with the "price bot" that another seller was using to price their copy on Amazon. Every time I would lower the price on mine, their bot would automatically lower their price to just under my price. :)
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Earth is the Lord's by John L. Ruth

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:18 am The Earth is the Lord's by John L. Ruth

I think we had a thread on this book before but I can't find it on MennoNet. Maybe it was on MennoDiscuss???

Anyhow, I understood that someone was going to do a reprint of this book. But it looks like only a few copies are available for $500-900. Did the reprint never happen?
Wow. We got "The Earth is the Lord's" many years ago and I can't believe the book is worth that much. Nevertheless we won't part with it as it has been a very valuable resource over the years.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I understood that someone was going to do a reprint of this book. But it looks like only a few copies are available for $500-900. Did the reprint never happen?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Grace wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:29 am

I think we had a thread on this book before but I can't find it on MennoNet. Maybe it was on MennoDiscuss???

Anyhow, I understood that someone was going to do a reprint of this book. But it looks like only a few copies are available for $500-900. Did the reprint never happen?
Wow. We got "The Earth is the Lord's" many years ago and I can't believe the book is worth that much. Nevertheless we won't part with it as it has been a very valuable resource over the years.
I know what you mean. How else would you find out that in a 1726 Love Feast of ex-Mennonite followers of Dunker Conrad Beissel, they had such an intense theological argument that a man DIED?

I found it frustrating that we are not told how he died. I assume he had a heart attack or burst a blood vessel?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

mike wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:36 am
Grace wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:29 am

I know what you mean. How else would you find out that in a 1726 Love Feast of ex-Mennonite followers of Dunker Conrad Beissel, they had such an intense theological argument that a man DIED?

I found it frustrating that we are not told how he died. I assume he had a heart attack or burst a blood vessel?
And were it not for John Ruth's book, who would have known about James Buchanan. The state of Pennsylvania gave us the 15th president in James Buchanan. Buchanan never married and over the years people made the allegations he was homosexual. But was he?

On page 443...
Apparently around 1824, the year Buchanan was elected to the national house of Representatives, a Mennonite Family that had lived near Buchanan's residence joined a westward migration to Stark County, Ohio. neighborhood traditions claim that a daughter in the family had become pregnant and that was part of the motivation for moving. In May or June of 1825 the daughter gave birth to a child with a rather UN-Mennonite name of Henrietta. Thirty years later, this child's name would be recorded on her tombstone, (still standing just behind the Mennonite Meetinghouse in Canton, Ohio) as "M. Henrietta Buchanan."
Periodically, it was rumored, an inconspicuously dressed man would arrive at Canton by train, rent a horse-drawn vehicle from the livery stable, and visit the family.

Page 512....
In these years when parents often died young, many children were scattered among homes of relatives and neighbors. Happy were those whose foster parents proved kindhearted. such was the case with the son born to unmarried member of the wealthy Slaymaker family of Salisbury Township, not far from the farm of Bishop Peter Eby. Family traditions, held privately but firmly, claim that Hannah Slaymaker had become pregnant by (U.S. Senator) James Buchanan.
Hannah Slaymaker's little son, named Hiram, was taken in by a neighboring Mennonite Charles Family and given their name. At age twelve, he remembered, he was visited by a woman whom he did not know but who embraced him and repeated emotionally, "Oh, my dear boy, my dear boy!" The mysterious family tradition (holding that a packet of letters was deliberately destroyed) insisted that Buchanan was Hiram Charles real father, and that the mother eventually took her own life by slitting her throat in a cornfield behind the well-known Slaymaker mansion, White Chimneys, just west of Gap.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Chimneys
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I called Mennonite Life (formerly Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society).

They said they did a reprint and the books were all sold in no time at all. They have no plans to do another reprint.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Ernie wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:55 am I called Mennonite Life (formerly Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society).

They said they did a reprint and the books were all sold in no time at all. They have no plans to do another reprint.
I got mine (and I think 2 copies for the school) when that printing went down.
0 x
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

I have a mint condition original printing that I will sell if the price is right.
0 x